Menu

Bedwetting... when the boy is 13...

When he stays dry, for the reward, is it because he is staying awake, to "go" later, and therefore, sleeping less? If so, the idea "if he can for the reward, he can "period"", doesn't really make sense. He needs his sleep, but at the same time needs to be able to "wake" up... More consults with the doctor, imho.....

When he stays dry, for the reward, is it because he is staying awake, to "go" later, and therefore, sleeping less? If so, the idea "if he can for the reward, he can "period"", doesn't really make sense. He needs his sleep, but at the same time needs to be able to "wake" up... More consults with the doctor, imho.....

:iagree: That's what I think too. I wouldn't read too much into the idea of him being able to avoid it for a reward. Perhaps he can hold off on sleeping as deeply or whatever if he's anxious or anticipating a reward.

Re: rewards....

It might be a "3 nights in a row and not wetting and we'll get an ice cream cone" and he does... I've done 5 and 7 day rewards. He does not stay up and go... He is a sleeper. He almost always goes to sleep by 9pm... used to be 8pm... on his own and sleeps until 7am or so. Once I got him up to pee at 10pm... then between 120-1am... then at 4am... and again at 6pm and I tell you that boy would pee and pee. Anyway, about the rewards... I get tired of it because I cannot get those all the time... nor do I think it's okay for him to stay dry night after night and get rewards when the other brothers do not get them... So, then I am buying everyone ice cream...

He has gone a few weeks at a time staying dry! (rewards involved) That's what drives me nutty over it. Then he goes weeks not able to stay dry one night.

I'm sorry if this has been repeated, but I didn't have time to read all the pages yet. Does he drink much milk? I know that sounds weird, but I have a bedwetter. He's only 7 almost 8 and when I started not letting him have milk late in the day his bedwetting stopped. We went on a two week vacation and I had those new goodnite bed liners with me, but I never used them and he was dry the whole time. He went over a month without an accident. Guess who wakes up early with a wet bed because someone let him have too much milk yesterday. :glare: I've read that some people have a mild allergy that can cause bedwetting.

Anyway, not sure if it will work for you, but it's worth a try. I just cut down on it and not giving it to him late in the day, but he didn't wet the bed every night anyway. You might want to try cutting it out for a few days.

I also agree with the mattress protector. I have one on my new mattress because it has memory foam in it and therefore it's not supposed to get wet. It works! I spilled a whole cup of soda on the bed. I didn't get a drop on the mattress.

Oh, just read the post where you said he didn't do it when he was getting a reward and then had ice cream and wet again. Hmm...maybe the milk. Might all be in my head, but seemed to work for us. He asked for milk about an hour before bed tonight. I said no, but I gave him water. I'll let you know if it happens tonight. lol

Random thoughts:

1) Omega 3s have been shown to help w/ bedwetting:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15823714

http://naturallynutrition.blogspot.com/2009/02/link-between-childs-nighttime.html

I noticed w/ dd1 she would be dry for ages and then not for a long time, I finally realized there was 2 connections soy, even in trace amounts, and cod liver oil(which has Omega 3s) when I stayed on top of giving it to her she wouldn't wet

2) Bedwetting is symptom of food intolerance-

I have a friend who insisted that her son was a late wetter do to family genetics. They started a gluten free diet at the same time using a bed alarm as well. He stopped wetting but when he gets glutenned he starts wetting the bed again. It is just not specific to gluten but any food intolerance though. As I said dd has had issue w/ soy causing wetting for her and I've often heard of dairy causing the problem as well.

I was first introduced to this idea through the book, "Is This Your Child," by Doris Rapp which discusses food allergies and intolerances and all the symptoms.

http://www.healthiertalk.com/staying-dry-conquering-bedwetting-4140

It might be a "3 nights in a row and not wetting and we'll get an ice cream cone" and he does... I've done 5 and 7 day rewards. He does not stay up and go... He is a sleeper. He almost always goes to sleep by 9pm... used to be 8pm... on his own and sleeps until 7am or so. Once I got him up to pee at 10pm... then between 120-1am... then at 4am... and again at 6pm and I tell you that boy would pee and pee. Anyway, about the rewards... I get tired of it because I cannot get those all the time... nor do I think it's okay for him to stay dry night after night and get rewards when the other brothers do not get them... So, then I am buying everyone ice cream...

He has gone a few weeks at a time staying dry! (rewards involved) That's what drives me nutty over it. Then he goes weeks not able to stay dry one night.

That would drive me nuts too! Weeks? And nothing else changed beside the reward/no reward? What does your husband think about that?

Once I got him up to pee at 10pm... then between 120-1am... then at 4am... and again at 6pm and I tell you that boy would pee and pee.

That SCREAMS medical issue. That is NOT NOT NOT normal. No one (that isn't pregnant or dealing with prostate problems) should have to urinate that often during the night. There are hormones that are supposed to slow down urine production during the night so that you don't have to get up and go. Obviously that isn't happening, and needs to be addressed medically.

She once told us that it never seemed like a big deal:confused: Until my brother said something. See no one ever said anything to her about it ever. We couldn't hurt her wittle feelings. Her grandma (not mine) wouldn't allow you to say BOO to her and my mother didn't wanna ever start drama because my step-dad was a firm believer that you respect your parents and his mother blah blah blah......

I would say that doing this while awake makes this an extremely atypical case with underlying mental/emotional issues. I don't think that situation would parallel the OPs situation at all, or almost any other bedwetting situation.

Although I wouldn't think what the brother did to be appropriate for typical bedwetting situations, I wouldn't automatically assume "abusive family because of it". I just don't think it applies to bedwetting in general.