Menu

Dust first or vacuum first?

Do you vacuum or dust first?  

1. 1. Do you vacuum or dust first?

• Vacuum then dust
    • Dust then vacuum
    • I don't understand these terms
    • Other

I've always vacuumed and then dusted. I think this comes from my mother having an ancient vacuum cleaner that spread as much dust as it removed. Maybe it's time to change my habits. What do you do?

Of course, I'm posting a poll rather than getting up to dust or vacuum.

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

I've always vacuumed and then dusted. I think this comes from my mother having an ancient vacuum cleaner that spread as much dust as it removed. Maybe it's time to change my habits. What do you do?

I do the same thing, and I'm pretty sure it's because my old vacuum also spread as much dust as it removed. I voted "vacuum then dust" because that's what I do out of habit, but I'm pretty sure you're supposed to do the opposite. I have a great vacuum now and I need to get into the habit of doing it the other way around!

I said other because I mostly dust WITH my vacuum. I have a Dyson and it actually has attachments that work unlike my other.

And why do I always have to spell vacuum, backspace like 3 times to get the correct spelling :confused:

I would dust first, then vacuum (in our house of crumbs).

Then again, when I'm really lazy, I dust while vacuuming - with the vacuum attachment (ok, it looks a little goofy, but it works if I'm in a big hurry). Thank you, Dyson.

Martha Stewart has said that, unless you have a vacuum that is malfunctioning, one should vacuum last. Take advantage of a well functioning vacuum and brush dust from shelves etc onto the floor and then vacuum it up. Do the floors last to finish the room.

I am lucky enough to have inherited an amazing old school electrolux. I use the attachments for a good chunk of my dusting. Heck, I've been known to use it to clean off the kitchen counters in a pinch. Or, my husband goes around the house wiping dirt/dust off the surfaces while I follow him and vacuum it up. Yeah teamwork!

I said other because I mostly dust WITH my vacuum. I have a Dyson and it actually has attachments that work unlike my other.

And why do I always have to spell vacuum, backspace like 3 times to get the correct spelling :confused:

:lol: Sometimes I just shorten it to vac because I can't get it right:tongue_smilie: I dust first then vacuum, not sure what my mother did.

I dont dust on a regular schedule....so I don't really know. This week, i dusted as I decluttered, then Vaccumed when the room.was done. I usually just grab a rag when something looks too dusty, vaccuming may not happen for a few days after that.

I always do the floors last because cleaning higher things tends to get dirt on the floor.

:iagree: It drives me crazy when dh helps me clean. He always wants to do the floors first and then gets aggravated if any dust or dirt falls on the floor and we have hardwood/tile so it is much more noticeable and he likes super clean floors.

:iagree: It drives me crazy when dh helps me clean. He always wants to do the floors first and then gets aggravated if any dust or dirt falls on the floor and we have hardwood/tile so it is much more noticeable and he likes super clean floors.

My dh must be related to yours. I always dust first (top shelves down to bottom shelves) then vacuum everything that fell. Dh hits the floors first and then gets upset when they get dirty.

My dh must be related to yours. I always dust first (top shelves down to bottom shelves) then vacuum everything that fell. Dh hits the floors first and then gets upset when they get dirty.

LOL, He mopped the bedroom last weekend and came back in horror later as I was dusting and then sweeping (it's really hard to clean a ceiling fan without it falling to the floor). I wanted to say it was his fault for doing it wrong in the first place but I just said that in my head :)