Menu

I wish there were *secular* trips that do similar work to mission trips........

for teens.

Churches are able to organize groups of kids, but I suspect finding a *secular* group is a bit daunting.

My kids learned a lot and did a lot on their previous mission trips. I wish there was a way for them to do the work part without the mission part. ;)

for teens.

Churches are able to organize groups of kids, but I suspect finding a *secular* group is a bit daunting.

My kids learned a lot and did a lot on their previous mission trips. I wish there was a way for them to do the work part without the mission part. ;)

Me too. I am so opposed to the idea of missions.

You might want to check UU churches in your area. I know that the one where our secular homeschool group meets does things like that, and I think it's about as secular as a church gets (apparently there's a spectrum within UU, and I gather that this particular congregation is less Christian-influenced than the other big one in our area).

The other suggestion I have is to contact service organizations. Alpha Phi Omega is a national one at the college level, and most campuses will have at least one service fraternity/society even if they don't have an active APO chapter. APO is heavily into service to kids/teens at a national level, although they've distanced themselves quite a bit from Boy Scouts because of some of the stances BSA has taken. My guess is that we would have welcomed high school aged homeschoolers as long as an adult was along who was willing and able to be legally responsible for them. Kiwanis International sponsors Key Clubs in PS high schools that do similar activities, and I don't know if they'd be amenable to homeschoolers creating a group and participating jointly with a PS school, but it's worth asking. Many of my best memories in high school and college (and since then as an alumni adviser) are with service groups.

Edited by dmmetler

I 2nd the recommendation for checking UU churches/fellowships. Our UU church does work trips on a regular basis and they are not at all mission based. My husband even randomly found a habit for humanity project through a UU church while on a business trip when he had a free weekend on the east coast.

Earth Watch does various sciency type things. I worked with them and their volunteers on a couple of dolphin and manatee projects way back when I was a marine biologist. I'm pretty sure they also had a couple of archaeological dig sites going at the same time.

From what I cold tell, there are bona fide government and scientists involved and then they petition the Earth Watch organization to find volunteers to support their inquiry. I don't think the volunteers need any expertise, however, IIRC, many projects were multiyear and many of the same volunteers kept coming back each time. HTH

You might want to check UU churches in your area. I know that the one where our secular homeschool group meets does things like that, and I think it's about as secular as a church gets (apparently there's a spectrum within UU, and I gather that this particular congregation is less Christian-influenced than the other big one in our area).

The other suggestion I have is to contact service organizations. Alpha Phi Omega is a national one at the college level, and most campuses will have at least one service fraternity/society even if they don't have an active APO chapter. APO is heavily into service to kids/teens at a national level, although they've distanced themselves quite a bit from Boy Scouts because of some of the stances BSA has taken. My guess is that we would have welcomed high school aged homeschoolers as long as an adult was along who was willing and able to be legally responsible for them. Kiwanis International sponsors Key Clubs in PS high schools that do similar activities, and I don't know if they'd be amenable to homeschoolers creating a group and participating jointly with a PS school, but it's worth asking. Many of my best memories in high school and college (and since then as an alumni adviser) are with service groups.

Definitely recommend Alpha Phi Omega! And the distancing from BSA really depends on your chapter - we did merit badge U and workshops for the scouts in my chapter. We also did things like Highway Cleanup, Habitat for Humanity, Food Drives and more. And we were not a very active chapter :D

:iagree:

Also I know here Girl Scouts have a listing of ongoing service projects and things that are open.

Are you kidding me? This is a Christian organization, not a secular one. From your link-

[Habitat for Humanity is] A nonprofit, ecumenical Christian housing ministry that has helped to build over 500,000 decent, affordable houses and served 2.5 million people worldwide.

Yes, Habitat is a Christian organization, but I have never had the impression that working on a Habitat projects involves witnessing at all. I know a number of non-Christians who work on Habitat projects.

My son is off to a Habitat to Humanity mission with a church group...but, it is NOT our church, nor is it an evangelical mission. I wouldn't be comfortable with him going off to evangelize anyone, but the group of kids he is with are really nice, hard working and focused on doing some tangible work to help families devasted by hurricanes and tornadoes. They will be swinging hammers...not pamphlets this week.

Faithe

Are you kidding me? This is a Christian organization, not a secular one. From your link-

[Habitat for Humanity is] A nonprofit, ecumenical Christian housing ministry that has helped to build over 500,000 decent, affordable houses and served 2.5 million people worldwide.

I, and apparently others, had no idea that Habitat was a Christian organization. I've never gotten the impression, nor have I heard of, volunteers on site proselytizing.

As a family with secular and Agnostic views, I would be comfortable allowing my children to volunteer with them.

Are you kidding me? This is a Christian organization, not a secular one.

Count me in as another one who had no idea Habitat is Christian. They do good work, and obviously do not evangelize since so many people didn't realize they're Christian. It seems they're the kind of Christians who walk the walk.

Do you have a Camp Fire USA group in your area? That's what ds has been doing for the past 5 years, ever since we wanted to find an alternative to Boy Scouts. They have several teen service type programs. He went a few weeks ago on a camping service project where they removed invasive plants and planted natives. That's one he's done for the past two summers. Tomorrow he leaves for a week of traveling around Florida doing various service projects. In some cases they will be sleeping in churches, but that's only because the churches rent out facilities.

Camp Fire USA accepts everyone, regardless of religious beliefs (or in our case, lack of), sexual orientation, race, etc. It's a co-ed program.

ETA: Worship God is in the Camp Fire Law, but they make a point to state that "God" means whatever you want it to mean.

Edited by floridamom

I knew Habitat was Christian. However, like others said, as I understand it, their day to day work involves no evangelical elements. They simply build and fix houses for people - people in need of any faith. I know that some atheists have a problem with helping any religious organization, but if you don't object at that very basic level, then the work they do is secular in nature, even if the reason they do it stems from faith, so I would still think it's a fine way to volunteer.

I also wanted to add that as a teen we went on a methodist mission to the Shenandoah Valley. We were not proselytizing. We were working hard- painting, building a ramp for handicapped residents, etc. It was a christian mission but it did not come with any sort of expectation to flail on a bible. BUT we did pray at meals, and sing god type songs. But whatever. I loved it. And Id do it/ send my kid now and Im an agnostic catholic and my kid is too.

I have to say, my daughter is in Girl Scouts and despite the fact GSUSA identifies as a secular organization, they also prayed before meals and sang songs at camp.

I, and apparently others, had no idea that Habitat was a Christian organization. I've never gotten the impression, nor have I heard of, volunteers on site proselytizing.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I've done a number of Habitat projects over the years and had no idea that there was any Christian affiliation whatsoever. It wouldn't have mattered to me personally, but I have friends of other religions who did Habitat with me & they wouldn't have participated in anything that was in any way Christian evangelism.

I've done a number of Habitat projects over the years and had no idea that there was any Christian affiliation whatsoever. It wouldn't have mattered to me personally, but I have friends of other religions who did Habitat with me & they wouldn't have participated in anything that was in any way Christian evangelism.

I'm glad to hear that not all Habitat for Humanity chapters are the same as my local one. Even sounds like most are not.

My local chapter would never be mistaken for a secular organization.

I worked on a Habitat house as a freshman in high school. We did nothing but build. We had no contact with the family, just the constructing team.

My church growing up did work only mission trips and volunteer work. Our mission trips were about service, not evangelizing. We built houses, cleaned yards and painted.

Habitat for Humanity has Christian roots but a group going to build would not have any evangelism requirements. Our church did some building through another church in New Orleans and even then all they provided was shelter and work. The group developed their own devotions. I wouldn't rule out all church groups.

I'm so glad this came up. I was thinking of posting something like this recently.

In our case, we're not looking for a group to join (Roots and shoots, 4H, etc., good as they are), but I'd like to find a parent-child (or maybe children only; have to think about that) trip that does the kind of work that many church trips do. Looks like there are lots of good leads on this thread.

I'm not sure if this is Joanne's objective, but I'd like to do service and volunteering and get us a bit out of the bubble we can be in here.