Menu

Science Fusion question

I ordered 1 module of science fusion directly from Harcourt (I did not get in on the co-op deal). There are instructions inside to get a login account. Does anyone know if I get an account now, will it expire at some point? I'd love to open it now and just look at it. But not at the cost of it expiring sooner than I want it to. I have googled this and searched other threads here I haven't seen anything on this.

I ordered it for my oldest (11 year old, up and coming 6th grader) and I'm not sure if it will be ok for him or not (he's been accelerated across the boards because that's how he learns, but could just use practice following a more traditional curriculum output set before I move him into high school level work. His science knowledge tends to be very specialized/narrow, so I thought it might fill some holes too. Our science approach so far has been books, videos, science kits, museums, side classes, etc. So I fully expect this will be a step down for him in some ways.

I'd love to hear any other thoughts on it (including bad and ugly!), especially about how a sequence would go and how independent your kids can be with it. I highly doubt it is a perfect solution for my oldest, but I get the feeling it's organized in a way that he can be independent with it. And I figured 1 module will only last us 2-3 months and I picked one we haven't done much in so it's not a huge commitment (even though it is expensive!).

I ordered 1 module of science fusion directly from Harcourt (I did not get in on the co-op deal). There are instructions inside to get a login account. Does anyone know if I get an account now, will it expire at some point? I'd love to open it now and just look at it. But not at the cost of it expiring sooner than I want it to. I have googled this and searched other threads here I haven't seen anything on this.

Well, I did Science Fusion with my K student this year, so I can't answer your other questions, but according to the info I got from Harcourt, your account expires one year from purchase. Now I was one of the very first homeschoolers to purchase Science Fusion - we had quite a merry dance, in fact, just to figure out how to get me set up!! And I have since found out that some of the other info I got from them is wrong....but I wanted to alert you to the possibility that you may already be 'on the clock' with this product.

My suggestion would be to call Harcourt directly and ask them. Their tech support line is 1-800-419-3900. Hope that helps!!!

Well, I did Science Fusion with my K student this year, so I can't answer your other questions, but according to the info I got from Harcourt, your account expires one year from purchase. Now I was one of the very first homeschoolers to purchase Science Fusion - we had quite a merry dance, in fact, just to figure out how to get me set up!! And I have since found out that some of the other info I got from them is wrong....but I wanted to alert you to the possibility that you may already be 'on the clock' with this product.

My suggestion would be to call Harcourt directly and ask them. Their tech support line is 1-800-419-3900. Hope that helps!!!

Thank you - that is good to know. I guess since it's just one module it isn't the end of the world, but kind of annoying! I lied about Harcourt - my receipt is from Houghton Mifflin, but anyway, I digress .... :001_smile:

We have Module A. The online subscription lasts one year. I would say it is quite rigorous IF you do all the optional labs. We are doing the digital only version with all the labs and my 11 yo is finding it rigorous. There are 2-3 labs a week with lots of microscopy and questions and lab manuals. I think ScienceFusion is a great program and my dc love it.

Jen

We have Module A. The online subscription lasts one year. I would say it is quite rigorous IF you do all the optional labs. We are doing the digital only version with all the labs and my 11 yo is finding it rigorous. There are 2-3 labs a week with lots of microscopy and questions and lab manuals. I think ScienceFusion is a great program and my dc love it.

Jen

Great - thanks for the review. I bought Module A too so that is a great review for us! How much are you needing to get involved in the program, or is your 11 year old pretty independent with it?

Once I schedule everything on the digital part, she does it all herself. The labs, on the other hand, are a lot of work for me and dh. I think it is more complicated because dh is a NASA PhD in Chemistry and Microscopy. He bought a very nice microscope that was very expensive but on sale and he doesn't want dd playing with it without supervision. The labs require a lot of materials. We went through the whole module to see what we needed and got it online. Other things we will have to get at craft stores and around the house. Dd is going to have GREAT microscopy skills after al this! Dh loves helping dd on the microscope and he is teaching me as well so I can help dd myself.

If your ds has a microscope he is comfortable with and you can get the materials, I think you could be really hands off.

Once I schedule everything on the digital part, she does it all herself. The labs, on the other hand, are a lot of work for me and dh. I think it is more complicated because dh is a NASA PhD in Chemistry and Microscopy. He bought a very nice microscope that was very expensive but on sale and he doesn't want dd playing with it without supervision. The labs require a lot of materials. We went through the whole module to see what we needed and got it online. Other things we will have to get at craft stores and around the house. Dd is going to have GREAT microscopy skills after al this! Dh loves helping dd on the microscope and he is teaching me as well so I can help dd myself.

If your ds has a microscope he is comfortable with and you can get the materials, I think you could be really hands off.

Great - that's perfect info. :001_smile: We do have a microscope (that I hope is adequate for this anyway!) I'm a math geek, and enjoy science. But Kid here is much preferring independence, so I was hoping we could at least get close with this since it's packaged up so nicely.

Last question if you want to answer ... how are you pacing it? How long do think this module will last for you?

Great - that's perfect info. :001_smile: We do have a microscope (that I hope is adequate for this anyway!) I'm a math geek, and enjoy science. But Kid here is much preferring independence, so I was hoping we could at least get close with this since it's packaged up so nicely.

Last question if you want to answer ... how are you pacing it? How long do think this module will last for you?

Pacing is a problem right now. I was hoping to do a lesson a week, but to get three modules done in a year would never happen that way. There are something like 57 lessons in Modules A-C. I called my homeschool ScienceFusion Rep and he got back to me today. The pacing schedule they put out was basically one unit a week. He said he was going to talk to upper management about it.

I am going to have to fiddle with it and see how much dd can handle in one week. The lesson and test are no problem. I just might have to get more selective with the labs.

• 1 month later...

So for those who have purchased (and been able to log in) how did you do it? I have an email giving my username and password but I have no idea what to use as my State, District and School on the login screen. I have purchased through HSBC. I am attempting to find out from HMH as well but thought that I might get a quicker answer here.

So for those who have purchased (and been able to log in) how did you do it? I have an email giving my username and password but I have no idea what to use as my State, District and School on the login screen. I have purchased through HSBC. I am attempting to find out from HMH as well but thought that I might get a quicker answer here.

State: DC

District: Science Fusion Homeschool

School: Your name