Menu

Ideas for fence art

Yes, that's right - fence art. See the picture below. It is the only part of our fence that has light showing through. It used to be double fenced but for some insane reason that part was removed on their side. Which means the neighbors can see us and we can see the neighbors. This is the view from my patio table. I want my privacy. New neighbors and they don't care or so they say when I offered to pay for replacement of slats so we all have privacy. I also have 12 year old kid who likes to look at girls in bikinis. They have a pool. Nuf said. So I need something that will block our side of the fence. We put up plants but it isn't enough for me. So please give me some ideas. I'm game for anything.

Well I'm on a mission to see what I can find for fence art.

First off there are lots of google images for fence art.

https://www.google.ca/search?num=10&hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&q=fence+art&oq=fence+art&gs_l=img.3..0l3j0i5l4j0i24l3.1137.2095.0.2277.9.9.0.0.0.0.146.793.7j2.9.0...0.0.Le2di3WKN-E&biw=1080&bih=847&sei=s5X3T_qZMIa16wGn2bnXBg

From your picture it just looks like small cracks in the board. If you want to stop your son from peaking through plant rose bushes. :) He properly wouldn't find it worth the pricking to go peaking.

Well I'm on a mission to see what I can find for fence art.

First off there are lots of google images for fence art.

https://www.google.ca/search?num=10&hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&q=fence+art&oq=fence+art&gs_l=img.3..0l3j0i5l4j0i24l3.1137.2095.0.2277.9.9.0.0.0.0.146.793.7j2.9.0...0.0.Le2di3WKN-E&biw=1080&bih=847&sei=s5X3T_qZMIa16wGn2bnXBg

From your picture it just looks like small cracks in the board. If you want to stop your son from peaking through plant rose bushes. :) He properly wouldn't find it worth the pricking to go peaking.

Cool site and gave me plenty of ideas. I'm allergic to roses so no roses. We have a pretty much allergy free garden and all the plants/flowers are 5's or less. Except for the morning glory.

Do you have flea markets, antique stores or architectural salvage places in your area?

You can find old ceiling tins, wooden doors, advertising signs, etc. to affix to the fence.

Yes, great idea. Will check one out this week by our shop.

Have you considered planting a fast growing vine of some sort to cover the fence? I personally like honeysuckle. Ivy will cover something pretty thoroughly also.

We have morning glory taking over the back yard from the front plants. It seems to have missed that particular area for some reason.

You mean you want that completely covered? Get some boards and double the fence again. done.

I've got fences with birdhouses, villages and such on them but that sort of art won't help you.

That's what I was thinking. Hubby thinks maybe some rolled bamboo.

Get some plywood. Cut out desired silhouette. Paint it black. Result silhouette fence art.

Like that idea!

Plant some Bouganvillea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bougainvillea (Apologies for the wiki link, but it's a good starting point).

You can get fast growing or slow growing.

It's gorgeous.

It's thick.

It has thorns.

It's gorgeous. (Did I say that already? :001_smile:)

So pretty but we already have morning glory all over.

Oohh.... that sounds way cool!!

It would make a cool homeschool art project, too! Have the kids do different poses on paper, trace, transfer to wood.... I'm feeling a project coming on!! :lol:

Knowing my son, he'd want me to do Sonic the hedgehog and amy rose from his video games.

This has just totally peaked my artsy side!

Me too now that I've looked at pictures online.

Thanks everybody. Have gotten my creative juices going.

Edited by Mytwoblessings
spelling. oy!

A while back I saw a picture on pinterest where someone had put colored, translucent marbles in knot holes in a wood fence similar to yours. If you really wanted to take some time, you could glue lines of colored marbles (or perhaps the flattened one called "gems") along the cracks. When the sun shines through, the glass marbles appear to be lit by lights. I have seen one that had lots of warm colors and was very "firey" looking and another that had lots of blues, violets, and greens that was gorgeous.

Something to consider....