Menu

Good missionary biographies for 7 year old?

Does anyone know any good missionary biographies written for younger readers? My son is 7 and has read books like Tornado, Bears on Hemlock Mountain, Little House Animal Adventures, Chalkbox Kid, etc.. I think anything much above this level would be frustrating for him right now. Any suggestions?

Have you looked at the Sonlight website to see what they schedule for that age? I know in Core B, we had Missionary Stories with the Millers, Akebu to Zapotec and a few others. I would look at the reading lists of Cores A, B and C and see which missionary biographies are on there. I just get them on Amazon with the 4 for 3 promotion if possible.

Thanks! I've looked at Sonlight's reading list for grades 2-3 but I don't remember seeing any biographies on their. I'm looking for something he can read himself and not get too overwhelmed. He can read the Bible (KJV) quite well, but I'm afraid if something is too long he'll get discouraged. We did read Missionary Stories with the Millers as a read-aloud (HOD storytime), and we really enjoyed it.

Have you looked at the Sonlight website to see what they schedule for that age? I know in Core B, we had Missionary Stories with the Millers, Akebu to Zapotec and a few others. I would look at the reading lists of Cores A, B and C and see which missionary biographies are on there. I just get them on Amazon with the 4 for 3 promotion if possible.

My boys and I really enjoyed George Mueller and are getting ready to read Gladys Aylward (both from the Christian Heroes series). While it isn't a biography, I do recommend Missionary Stories with the Millers. It is a good intro to missionaries and contains many great stories. I also enjoyed Hero Tales, but haven't gotten around to reading it to my dc. I might have to put it on the list this year. It is more like mini-biographies IMS.

ETA: I missed that you were looking for readers. I'd read these aloud as they contain content you'd want to discuss with him...people dying, questioning their faith, etc. My ds recently enjoyed reading A Question of Yams. It should be close to the right level.

Edited by Dinsfamily

I have A Question of Yams and definitely want my son to read it, but right now I'm looking for a biography he can use with Drawn into the Heart of Reading. I also have Hero Tales and want to read it to him soon. Actually, now that you mentioned it, I think I might pick it for a biography read-aloud. :001_smile:

My boys and I really enjoyed George Mueller and are getting ready to read Gladys Aylward (both from the Christian Heroes series). While it isn't a biography, I do recommend Missionary Stories with the Millers. It is a good intro to missionaries and contains many great stories. I also enjoyed Hero Tales, but haven't gotten around to reading it to my dc. I might have to put it on the list this year. It is more like mini-biographies IMS.

ETA: I missed that you were looking for readers. I'd read these aloud as they contain content you'd want to discuss with him...people dying, questioning their faith, etc. My ds recently enjoyed reading A Question of Yams. It should be close to the right level.