Menu

Saxon Math

wehave8

Do you think Saxon teaches the "why" in Math?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you think Saxon teaches the "why" in Math?

• Yes
    • No
    • To some degree (please explain)

To some degree, yes-in K-3, at least, there's a lot of guided exploration using manipulatives and the like which, if the teacher follows the script, does help get to a conceptual level. However, when you start giving kids math facts timed tests at a set point in time, without any concern as to whether or not the child has actually gotten a grasp on the concept in question, it often ends up being memorization and plug and chug, while the morning meeting ends up being something that the kids tune out during because it's not tested.

It does lead to parent bragging rights in 1st-3rd grade because parents can post that their child did all of X facts in Y minutes-but what I noticed was that my DD, who was the only child in her Sunday School class not attending the church school and therefore the only one not using Saxon, was FAR more able to answer mental math questions without pulling out paper than her former classmates, even at a time when some of her friends could supposedly do 100 addition problems in 60 seconds, and DD was still making 10s in order to add 5+7.

I've only used K-2.

I don't think timed math tests are inimical to learning. Children in Singapore and Japan are doing a lot of timed math. The Saxon math tests in Math 2 only take, what, 90 seconds? Hardly a blip in her mind.

At least for her, it's easier to explain the rationale after she's confident with the mechanics.

Not all kids LEARN the why the Saxon way. Does that make any sense?

My older girls used Saxon (through Alg. 1 for DD 1 and through 8/7 for DD 2), but needed a little more support to really GET it (we used a private tutor for DD 1 and an online math class for DD 2 for this purpose). I think what Saxon does well is to keep everything fresh and prevent them forgetting concepts by using continual, spiral review.

My 7 year old doesn't need nearly as much review (so far) as the older girls did, so MM is a more efficient way to teach her. I haven't ruled out using Saxon in the middle grades though.

I voted "to some degree" on the poll.

I voted yes.

I have used Saxon 54 (3x), Saxon 65 (4x), Saxon 76 (3x), Saxon 87 (1x). I have also used Singapore PM 1-6 (1x).

I wouldn't hesitate to use Saxon again in the middle grades. It is definitely my program of choice at the middle grade level.

If I used Singapore again, it would be with more than just the text and workbook. Most children simply need more practice than the few problems in these slim little books. Frankly, most children need review and that just doesn't exist in Singapore. Due to the lack of review, it would only be a certain type of child for whom I would choose Singapore as the primary math program.

I never used the drill from Saxon. I used other things for drill. I would also add facts practice to Singapore PM. Most children need some amount of facts practice to achieve immediacy of recall.

I want more than exposure. I expect mastery. Because I am working in a homeschool environment, I can make this a reality.

Mandy

My kids understand the why behind the math and did so even before we started supplementing with other resources. If the kids didn't pick up on something just by working the problems, I just explained it to them. Dd did struggle with fractions a little but she's got them now. Ds7 struggled a little with understanding long division. It was just mentioned a little bit last year. I expect that he will both understand the why and perform the operation smoothly this year.

I voted yes.

We've used Saxon 1 (4x), Saxon 2 (4x), Saxon 3 (4x), Saxon 54 (3x), Saxon 65 (2x), Saxon 76 (2x) and Saxon 87 (1x). Since beginning Saxon several years ago, my kids have shown an above average working knowledge and mastery of math concepts. In our experience, Saxon delivers.

To compare, we've previously used Rod and Staff, BJU, Horizons and Singapore (very briefly).

• 1 month later...

I was a teacher for 10 years in special and regular ed. Saxon was by far the favorite math program, ever, in every school I taught. We would use seriously old sets. It was my first choice for homeschooling. But, we do modify and omit, as needed. There is much hands on functional learning in the lessons, as well as drill and practice, and the sprial curriculum keeps all fresh in their mind, while building and expanding knowledge. I say yes!

• 5 weeks later...
Guest paulacrista

I feel Saxon is a great curriculum for kids to learn the WHY of math, especially in the younger years. I personally feel Saxon does a great job at continually teaching and reteaching students that maybe take awhile to get the "WHY" of math. I have used a few math curriculums before, but Saxon is my favorite for the beginning grades. It isn't all colorful and fancy like some, but it does TEACH what kids need to know. I may be partial though since it was the first math program I was introduced to as a elementary teacher :) but, personally I think with the hands on manipulative use, spiral scaffolding of new concepts, and skill and drill portions it is far better than most. I love the meeting time portion, but I do it more like a classroom version would be so it isn't as dry.

Based on my numerous previews, I'd say more so than the very traditional math I had growing up, but less so than the Asian-based programs like Singapore, Right Start, and MM.

:iagree:

And if it gets done, and the teacher knows how to teach it, then it can produce superior results to anything "better" that doesn't get done, and is not within the teacher's ability to teach.

I don't really know, LOL, and I have used it for 12 years. I never teach a lesson word for word. I look at the topic, teach it my way, and then I give practice problems. I just feel so weird and stiff trying to read a lesson aloud,

I just know math up to Algebra II/Trig well enough to teach it.

I remember one specific lesson last year on the area of a circle. I was never taught the why behind math growing up, but I did well and can do it. So, I wondered why the formula for the area of a circle works. I looked it up online, taught it to my son, and felt thrilled. We even cut out the little triangles and lined them up to a protractor to prove it. He was not enthused but learned the formula right away.

I called my math/physics genius friend who teaches math (he would be doing more but he is now blind from a freak stroke) because I wanted to share my discovery and enthusiasm. He assures me all the time, and he has met my boys, that they are getting a great math education. I always feel good when I talk to him because he teaches students in the range from remedial up to advanced calculus where that class size is 3 students.

He is also the friend I called when there was one step I couldn't understand about completing the square.

I don't really know, LOL, and I have used it for 12 years. I never teach a lesson word for word. I look at the topic, teach it my way, and then I give practice problems. I just feel so weird and stiff trying to read a lesson aloud,

One of the things I love about Saxon, is that students can be taught to read the book. I'm a bit annoying about teaching students how to read math books, use math books as reference books, and how to talk about math.

My ex-husband is a mathematical genius, but learned very little math in school. He developed his own math written language that no one else can understand. His inability to work with others was one of the reasons my boys grew up in poverty. You can bet I was obsessive about my boys learning standard math language!

Many a day, my youngest and I sat hunched over a Saxon book, shivering, dressed in rags, with migraines from a diet too high in carbs, with me harping about the need for him to know standard math language. We read EVERY word aloud. Yeh, that was a little obsessive. :tongue_smilie: But I was desperate for history not to repeat itself in another generation.

I grew up on Saxon math. I think it does very well in the first few grades, but I found that throughout the rest of it, I was learning how to do the stuff, but wasn't understanding the why at all. I asked my mom for a tutor for a few months to help me get it. My marks were always high, but I knew that I wasn't really understanding and that eventually it was going to catch up with me if I wanted to continue into college with anything math oriented (yes I over thought things as a kid). I think it's a pretty good math in many ways, but I would never give it to my kids without some sort of supplement. My younger three siblings all grew up with it as well and they have the same problem.