Menu

netflix streaming question

right now I don't have a streaming plan with netflix...just a DVD plan. Is there any reason NOT to change over to streaming? And, what is your best reason for me to switch over. How soon after shows air on TV do they show up on Netflix?

thanks.

Not soon, usually. Netflix is best for TV series that have a few seasons under their belts so you can start at the beginning and meander through and get caught up, not for watching the week after episode airs.

We love our Netflix instant streaming. We find enough movies (usually a bit older), kids' TV shows and movies, and documentaries to keep us occupied. I've been disappointed with the new selections that have been coming in, but there's still enough for us to choose from that I do think it's well worth the $8 or so a month.

You can look through their categories on their Web site even if you're not a member, I think, and you can use this site to get an even better sense of what they have available.

We only use streaming, and are happy with it. They add new shows all the time, and some of them are pretty recent (ex: Thor was added last month). They have a ton of TV shows (Miss Marple, Say Yes to the Dress, Phineas and Ferb, etc), but not necessarily always the lastest season or most current episode.

right now I don't have a streaming plan with netflix...just a DVD plan. Is there any reason NOT to change over to streaming? And, what is your best reason for me to switch over. How soon after shows air on TV do they show up on Netflix?

thanks.

I love the streaming option on Netflix. We actually dropped the DVD option and do streaming only. To answer your questions...

Any reason not to change over to streaming? You need to have pretty good Internet service so that streaming will work well for you. If your Internet is on the lower end, you may need to increase it and pay a bit more each month.

What is the best reason to switch over? Access to tons of tv shows and movies! Also, the ability to watch tv shows from the very beginning.

How soon after shows air on TV do they show up on Netflix? I *think* that the tv show season has to be put out on DVD before it is available on Netflix. If you want to watch TV shows right after they air, you would need to pay for a service like Hulu Plus (what we do).

HTH!

How soon after shows air on TV do they show up on Netflix?

thanks.

There isn't a single answer to this question, as it depends on the show, the content owner, and the agreement they made with Netflix (or another service). Some shows never become available by streaming.

We have streaming & the one DVD option. Honestly, I would not give up either. Streaming does have a lot of documentaries that we use for school. We also use it for watching movies & TV shows. However, there is also a lot that is not available on streaming. There are a lot of documentaries that we have to get on DVD. There are a lot of shows & movies that are only available on DVD. So, we use both.

We watch whatever we can on streaming, borrow DVDs form our library, and use Netflix DVDs for what we can't get on streaming or from the library. We also don't have cable & don't watch regular TV (only watch DVDs & Netflix streaming). So the kids' options are limited. They are limited to whatever DVDs they borrow from the library (we allow them each to check out one non-educational DVD a week), what shows we allow on streaming, and what DVDs we own. So, we know exactly what they're watching, which makes monitoring their TV/movie viewing much easier.

I have been typing in tons of TV show titles (both old and recent) and about 80% of the titles I have typed in are only DVD...and not streaming. I am sort of bummed. I really want the streaming option becasue of the quickness and the unlimited options...but I can't afford to do both streaming and DVD or unlimited DVD. Right now our plan is the cheapest one...1 DVD out at at time (2 times a month) for $5. So for $3 more a month I can get unlimited streaming...but limited options of what I can watch. Maybe I need to keep typing in more titles...I haven't done movies yet. Is there a listing of just streaming options that are catorigized by genre, TV vs movie, year the TV show was on, etc??? It takes a lot of time to think of titles and then typing them in only to be told "DVD only".

Streaming does have a lot of documentaries that we use for school. QUOTE]

I haven't checked that out either yet....that is a bummer...I was hoping to use it for school too...how can I see what is available in that department?

You might not be able to check just the streaming options if you don't have streaming. I know that when I go to Netflix, I have a tab for streaming & a tab for DVDs. Both have a drop down menu of genres in the top left corner. Documentaries are found in several places. The Genre drop menu has a category for Documentaries, but some can also be found in the TV, Special interest, and Music & Musicals categories. So, if you have the option to search DVDs by genre & if it shows you which are available for streaming as well as which are on DVD, you should be able to see the selection of documentaries available for streaming. It will take longer doing it that way than if you were able to search just streaming, but I don't know if that is available to those who don't have streaming.

A thought, if it will only cost a little to add streaming, you might want to consider adding it for one month, just to see if it would be worth it for you. Then, you could always cancel streaming if it doesn't have enough to make it worth the price. That way, you could see everything that is currently streaming, in a quick, easy way, and get an idea of how much you would actually use it.