Menu

Lukeion Latin - what to buy?

I know I read a thread that addressed what to buy in addition to Wheelock's text, but I can't find it now. I'd like Ds to do some prep work this summer and I'm also wondering if I should still consider buying the workbook or other supplements, even though Lukeion says they are not necessary.

So, those with Dc who took this course, would you recommend buying supplements, or anything for preparing this summer?

My dd took two years of Lukeion Latin, and she only used the Wheelock textbook. She made her own flashcards (don't know if you can even buy Wheelock flashcards.) The only thing extra she used was the book 28 Latin Stories (I think that's what it was called) and took a workshop on it from Amy Barr during the summer between Latin 1 and 2, as a refresher.

You'll love Amy Barr and this course - it's EXCELLENT!

So, those with Dc who took this course, would you recommend buying supplements, or anything for preparing this summer?

I don't have any experience with this particular course, though I've heard great things about it. I don't think you need any supplements. If your DC memorize better with flash cards than other methods, it is much better to have them make their own flash cards. To prepare, I'd make sure they know English grammar pretty well before starting, for example, know the difference between "who" and "whom". If they've got that down, learning how to do memory work is key. Getting started memorizing paradigms wouldn't hurt, either.