Menu

Better Binders are going on SALE on Sunday!

fourcatmom

Just an FYI, I called my Staples here in Richmond, VA and was told that there is no restriction on the binders you can turn in for recycling...and the $2 can be used toward any binder....

I"m so sick of my binders falling apart half-way through the year.... and hey, I can't complain about the pretty colors! lol

~Lauren

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. I stopped today and picked up 4 Better Binders and recycled 2 older binders. I had never heard of these binders before this thread and I'm looking forward to having them NOT fall apart before the year is up!

:iagree:

Thank you OP for letting us know about this! I'd never heard of Better Binders but I'm printing out that $5 off coupon and heading to Staples tomorrow to stock up on binders and pencils and other nifty school supplies.

I have to say that the ladies around here are professional shoppers when it comes to homeschool supplies and I'm grateful for the help!

Maybe someday instead of that Extreme Couponing TV show they'll have a reality show called Extreme Homeschooling :lol:! If they only knew what we go through to buy and sell used and get our supplies stocked up, they would be fascinated, right???!!!??

Christina

Do the rebates come in the form of a check, or credit for merchandise?

Check or paypal. The Staples Rebates really are easy. You go to the website, enter two numbers from your receipt and your address and the rebate is processed. They don't even make you create an account with a password.

Can someone tell how they rang the order up? Do they ring up everything, then remove the binder credit, then do the coupon? Or ring up everything, then coupon, then binder credit?

I'm trying to figure out what to buy to get the $5 off.

The manager at my store said I had to have $30 of stuff after the binder coupons came off to use the $5/30 coupon. So they rang all the binders, then scanned the binder coupons, then rang the rest of my stuff and then took off the $5/30 coupon.

As I understand it, the binders will ring up at sale price (half of the two for $X price, depending on the size you select) as long as you have at least two of them. If your total, before tax, is at least $30, then you can use the coupon. Any items you buy that have the Easy Rebate, like the reams of paper, could toward the $30.

Thank you OP for letting us know about this! I'd never heard of Better Binders but I'm printing out that $5 off coupon and heading to Staples tomorrow to stock up on binders and pencils and other nifty school supplies.

I have to say that the ladies around here are professional shoppers when it comes to homeschool supplies and I'm grateful for the help!

Maybe someday instead of that Extreme Couponing TV show they'll have a reality show called Extreme Homeschooling :lol:! If they only knew what we go through to buy and sell used and get our supplies stocked up, they would be fascinated, right???!!!??

Christina

Your welcome! I heard about the Better Binders from someone on here, so I was just passing on the goods to others. :001_smile:

Can someone tell how they rang the order up? Do they ring up everything, then remove the binder credit, then do the coupon? Or ring up everything, then coupon, then binder credit?

I'm trying to figure out what to buy to get the $5 off.

They did all my supplies first and then my binders. I earned their back to school savings reward since it was over $60. The binders rang up at sale price as did the supplies. I got the 15% and then she applied the $5 coupon. :001_smile: And then I went home a very happy shopper!

Hmmm....I just bought a bunch of their binders today, and NOW find out about the coupon and recycle program. Do you think they'll let me return them and buy them back at the discount? It would save me $10 with just the recycle credit, and another $5 with the other coupon.

Hmmm....I just bought a bunch of their binders today, and NOW find out about the coupon and recycle program. Do you think they'll let me return them and buy them back at the discount? It would save me $10 with just the recycle credit, and another $5 with the other coupon.

I would certainty try it. :001_smile:

I just saw that they have Better Dividers! I can't wait to get those too.

How did I miss those? Oh goodness. This board has cost me so much money in a year and half! :D

Does anyone have a link for these on the website? I can't find them. thanks.

Edited by fourcatmom

I went and got everything on my list! I got the binder credit which must be not well known. I qualified for the supply discount card which after cost saved me $10. I used the printable coupon too. I have an easy rebate to redeem also. Now I just need some notebook paper and folders. Very grateful for this thread.

Last year notebook paper went on sale at a great price a week or two after all the local schools had already started back.

OK, can we add life-saving to the list of accolades bestowed upon Better Binders? :lol:

I was going to go to Costco last night to get some groceries and some pens for dd to give to ds for his birthday. (It's a debate thing, the pens.) But instead I went to Staples to get a few Better Binders. Turns out in the parking lot where the Costco is there was a shoot out. A drug deal gone bad, apparently.

So, Better Binders may have saved my life. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Angie in VA

OK, can we add life-saving to the list of accolades bestowed upon Better Binders? :lol:

I was going to go to Costco last night to get some groceries and some pens for dd to give to ds for his birthday. (It's a debate thing, the pens.) But instead I went to Staples to get a few Better Binders. Turns out in the parking lot where the Costco is there was a shoot out. A drug deal gone bad, apparently.

Wow! So glad to hear you are safe!

That is so scary! I am glad you went to Staples. :001_smile: I think I am going back for Round 2 this weekend. I have to check the ad but I was assuming the sale was through Saturday.

ACK, I caved. I got 2-2inchers and 2-1 inchers. I hope they live up to they hype. Got 2 reams of paper that will be $.25 after rebate so not too bad since it bumped me to be able to use the $5 off coupon. Helped ease the sting since I only had one crummier binder to trade in since I donated the others.

I just wanted to say "thanks" for this thread. I learn so much on these WTM forums. I had not heard about Better Binders until I got my Staples email last week, but even then I thought they were too high. However, thanks to this thread my eyes were open to how to "work it" to get the best deal. I bought 8 1.5in binders today. I took 7 old binders to get the $2 credit (which I had no idea about until I read about it here) and used my $5 off coupon. I felt like it was a steal. Well, maybe not that good, but I did feel like a got a great deal.

Now I am waiting to see if the Better Binder dividers will go on sale. Hoping!

I just wanted to say "thanks" for this thread. I learn so much on these WTM forums. I had not heard about Better Binders until I got my Staples email last week, but even then I thought they were too high. However, thanks to this thread my eyes were open to how to "work it" to get the best deal. I bought 8 1.5in binders today. I took 7 old binders to get the $2 credit (which I had no idea about until I read about it here) and used my $5 off coupon. I felt like it was a steal. Well, maybe not that good, but I did feel like a got a great deal.

I've spent a lot of $ due to what I've learned on these boards, but I've saved a lot this week due to these boards and gotten some really nice binders. TY, Hive!

Oh, and I did a second run too. And went to Costco last night w/o incident. Whew!

I'd never been inside a Staples before yesterday. (I'm an OfficeMax/Wal-Mart type of gal.) In light of this thread, I hit the Staples in the Big City (1 1/2 hrs away) because we were going to be in town anyway. Armed with my ad, my list, my fellow-Hivers advice, and my $5/$30 coupon, I felt ready.

- As a PP stated, it was REALLY hard to find things because they were scattered all over the store.

- LOTS of the bins/areas were empty (out of stock). Yeah, it was two days until the sale ended, but SERIOUSLY?

- Over half the items in the ad (on my list) were labeled with a different price. What made it really confusing was that many of them had sale stickers but the 'sale' sticker price was higher than the sale price in the ad. (Rose markers on "sale" for $2/box when our ad clearly stated $1/box. These mostly rung up at the correct (ad) sale price at the register. )

- There were some clipboards all in the same area (hanger area marked with the sale item # in the ad). Two of the three that I picked up rang up 150% higher than sale price listed. (Item #s were different, but description was same.)

- Composition books on shelves labeled $1 each. All of them rang up at normal (non-sale) price of $2.49.

I paid very close attention as things were rung up. On at least three occasions, things rang up with the wrong price and he sent an associate back to check what was on the shelf and several times more he referred to my ad. He price-matched everything because the problem was on their end. He also ended up going himself to get something I had skipped picking up because of mis-labeling on their part.

What a PAIN! I felt really bad for all the people who came before me who probably didn't pay as much attention as I did (during checkout) & paid more than they should have. This was the SIXTH DAY of the sale!!

Except for the binders, I'm sticking to Wal-Mart. Everything is all in one place, the deals were better (Crayola 24-pks on sale for $1 at Staples were $.50 each at Wal-Mart.), they aren't out of half the sale items, and most of their things ring up the correct price.

Now, to find room for everything ...

I'd never been inside a Staples before yesterday. (I'm an OfficeMax/Wal-Mart type of gal.) In light of this thread, I hit the Staples in the Big City (1 1/2 hrs away) because we were going to be in town anyway. Armed with my ad, my list, my fellow-Hivers advice, and my $5/$30 coupon, I felt ready.

- As a PP stated, it was REALLY hard to find things because they were scattered all over the store.

- LOTS of the bins/areas were empty (out of stock). Yeah, it was two days until the sale ended, but SERIOUSLY?

- Over half the items in the ad (on my list) were labeled with a different price. What made it really confusing was that many of them had sale stickers but the 'sale' sticker price was higher than the sale price in the ad. (Rose markers on "sale" for $2/box when our ad clearly stated $1/box. These mostly rung up at the correct (ad) sale price at the register. )

- There were some clipboards all in the same area (hanger area marked with the sale item # in the ad). Two of the three that I picked up rang up 150% higher than sale price listed. (Item #s were different, but description was same.)

- Composition books on shelves labeled $1 each. All of them rang up at normal (non-sale) price of $2.49.

I paid very close attention as things were rung up. On at least three occasions, things rang up with the wrong price and he sent an associate back to check what was on the shelf and several times more he referred to my ad. He price-matched everything because the problem was on their end. He also ended up going himself to get something I had skipped picking up because of mis-labeling on their part.

What a PAIN! I felt really bad for all the people who came before me who probably didn't pay as much attention as I did (during checkout) & paid more than they should have. This was the SIXTH DAY of the sale!!

Except for the binders, I'm sticking to Wal-Mart. Everything is all in one place, the deals were better (Crayola 24-pks on sale for $1 at Staples were $.50 each at Wal-Mart.), they aren't out of half the sale items, and most of their things ring up the correct price.

I always have problems at Staples during BTS sales, too. Always. Often involving at least a 20 minute wait as an employee tries to find items that are supposedly in stock. I talked to a manager this year because I was so frustrated. He was very friendly and "heard" what I said, and mostly agreed with me, so I appreciate that. Not sure that conversation will beget changes, but at least he listened and was respectful. I do appreciate the deals that Staples offer, and I understand why they put stuff all over the store. Still, it would be helpful if employees could actually locate things when asked. :D

On another note, is the binder trade-in only good for this week?

The first time I shopped the back-to-school sales at Staples I had the above (highlighted in red) problems. I went about mid-week into the sale and most of the bins were empty. I was told that I really needed to come on the first day of the sale so that I would not miss out since they sold out pretty quickly. Umm...well, ok, but I am not going to drive 25 miles out of my way unless it is a REALLY good deal. I can't jusify burning the gas to save a few bucks on a few items. Especially when I have a Wal Mart in my town. So unless it is just something that I REALLY want, I either skip it or I go when it is convenient (already going to be in town) for me and chance not getting the items I want. If I do get them, great. I didn't go out of my way. But if I don't get them, so be it.

Now I will say that I did make a special trip yesterday for the Better Binders, but I knew the sale was going off today and I really wanted to try the BB. Also, with the help of this thread I felt prepared to get enough of a deal to justify it. I also had another stop to make in that town so...Also, I called ahead to make sure that the BB were still on sale and that they still had in stock what I would be coming for.

I did find the "scattered all over the store" a problem, but since I knew how it was last time, this year I was a little more prepared. Also, I don't hesitate to ask for help if I don't find what I am looking for fairly quickly.

Also, I never received a rebate on paper that I bought from a year or so ago. By the time I realized it (because it takes 4-6 weeks, you know, and I got busy), I couldn't find my rebate info and just decided to give up. But this year I plan to stay on it. Rebate info stuck to my frig with a magnet to remind me.:tongue_smilie:

Staples easy. Not. Especially not as easy as Wal Mart, but this thread did make it easy for me in navigating the Better Binder deal, and I am thankful for that.

I am sorry you had such a bad experience. I know it can be frustrating!

Yep, completely agree on this. Just went Thursday and had the same experience. Had to go on a Treasure hunt to find the items (and the store clerk wasn't even sure on some of them). Many items did NOT have sale pricing on them/hung up, so thankfully I had my flyer with me to ensure I WAS getting the right item.

And worse yet, the receipt was a MESS. I used the binder recycling discount and the $5.00 coupon but geesh, each item had like six discounts under them, for .01 cent, .01 cent, .05 cent, etc....until apparently the item got down to the discounted price....but who knows, because I would have to spend hours trying to figure it out. I'm think it was all correct, because my total was in the range what I expected it to be, but geesh, really, what a complicated mess!

I'll think I'll stick to Target for any remaining supplies! More fun shopping that way, haha!

I would agree that Wal-Mart has just as good deals. Maybe not .1 deals but then you could only buy two of those anyways. I think WM is having a better deal on Crayola. They have colored pencils for .99 for a pack of 12.

When I went to Staples on the first day there were many people confused on where to find stuff. Of course, they have all the school supplies lined up in the hallways but those are not the one's on sale. They want you walking the isles (or buying the one's not on sale) and they are hard to find. Me and another shopper paired up and worked together and then asked for help when we had items we couldn't find. Not an easy sale to manage by any means. I do think some of the items that I got, I wouldn't have gotten at WM. I got two packages of highlighters, mechanical pencils, sharpies and white board markers all at very good prices. If I had not had my ad and a purpose, I would have been lost. You have to work for the deal, I guess. BTW - when I went back yesterday they still had very good stock at my store, the only bin that was low was the white board markers. They only had 4 packages left. Of course, I bought them all.

I do love the BB as well. I am sold on those. I bought a really fancy and pretty binder at Target a few months ago and every time I go to turn the pages, they get caught in the rings. It's getting really old.

On that note...has anyone seen bulletin boards on sale?:lol:

Edited by fourcatmom

I don't normally shop Staples. It's next door to PetSmart, so I went both places while there. Ours was marked and stocked, except the BB didn't have the sale price in front them, which I found rather odd. I love the BBs!!! I bought them for school and for my day care/child passenger safety tech papers. Very nice!

I also bought two 1" for my attendance/grade sheets. They are yellow with an owl print. Too adorable!

http://www.staples.com/1-Staples-Better-Binder-Glitter-Owl/product-nr_443977

That is TOO cute! Ours only had plain colors.