Menu

Sonlight Grade 4/5 Readers Question

mrs.m

I came by a Sonlight IG for Grade 4/5 LA. If you have used this program and have a boy, how did they respond to the "girly" books on the list? He'll refuse certain books for being too girlish, so I read them aloud and even then it's iffy if he's enjoying it. And up to this point, I've just been picking books off their lists without a schedule, so I skipped the ones I know he probably wouldn't enjoy.

I probably just need to get over this hang-up and do the program. The books are great, so it's ok to tell me to get over this. But if you had a solution to keep it interesting, let me know!

And the other question is, do I buy the books or get them from the library? I think the library has all of them! But I have another boy coming down the line.

Edited by jannylynn

We had the same problem with this program. It seemed to have a ton of "girly" books. We ended up skipping some of them. He liked the Beverly Cleary books, but we skipped the Little House book and Grandma's Attic book. The Whipping Boy book was difficult because of the dialect (we read this together). He read the other girly books, but he wasn't happy. I got some other "boy/adventure" books to intersperse, and it turned out ok.

I will be one to say get over it. What I assign for my children to read it meant to stretch them. What they read on their own is for fun.

:iagree: My ds8 is about halfway through this collection. He hasn't complained about a single book so far. I was prepared to have a discussion about the Betsy and Tacy book, but he told me he liked it after he finished. Since I'm of the opinion that we don't read schoolbooks only for enjoyment at this age (it was different when he was developing his reading skills and working on fluency), I wouldn't let him drop one without a good reason. He also reads about 5 books a week for fun on his own time. Of course, he blew through Encyclopedia Brown, Henry and Ribsy, and Ralph S. Mouse plus many of the sequels. He is a boy after his momma's own heart :D.

ETA: He was very excited about the Grandma's Attic sequel. We read the first one aloud several years ago and it was a hit. We still chuckle when we think about the hoop skirt in church.

Edited by Dinsfamily

I will be one to say get over it. What I assign for my children to read it meant to stretch them. What they read on their own is for fun.

My ds doesn't even know to call something a girly book. As long as it is an interesting story he doesn't care who the main character is.;)

My ds doesn't even know to call something a girly book. As long as it is an interesting story he doesn't care who the main character is.;)

My youngest is this way. He just likes a great story.

I struggle a bit more with my oldest son. He really only wants to read non-fiction. But he is compliant and will read whatever I assign.

What's strange is that my DD is the worst about "girly" books. She really wants an action packed story line. So it's more genre than the main character.

OK, I'm going to just do it because he needs to stretch a bit! Plus it will save me a bunch of pulling out my hair trying to fix the schedule. I can always count on this forum to give me the kick I need. :D

:iagree:I also feel that many excellent books would be missed if kids are allowed to determine that they are too girly, especially if just basing that on the title or cover photo