Menu

Have a multifunction printer that you love?

I'm hoping to spend about $150-$200 before school starts on a m/f printer. I need something to print, scan, and copy (flat bed style for books). It will not need to print high quality colors as I'm retaining my current model which does great photos, etc.

If possible let me know about what your replacement ink costs. I'm interested in factoring that into my decision.

TIA!

Beth

I'm hoping to spend about $150-$200 before school starts on a m/f printer. I need something to print, scan, and copy (flat bed style for books). It will not need to print high quality colors as I'm retaining my current model which does great photos, etc.

If possible let me know about what your replacement ink costs. I'm interested in factoring that into my decision.

TIA!

Beth

I like my Brother DCP 7020. Toner refills cost about $43 on Amazon, but they last for about 6 months of good use (about 2000 copies or so). Jessica at Trivium has had good luck with a different toner refill (I buy new Brother refills) that's about $10 cheaper, I think. I've had this for over a year and it hasn't given me any trouble.

If I were buying today, I would look at a different Brother that faxes, too, though. Prices have come down since I bought and I think I could get a similar model to the one I have but with fax capability for under $200.

I just recently got the HP Office Jet Pro L7580. IT's the lowest cost per page of all the printers Consumer Reports tested (even cheaper than laster printers & the Kodaks!). I believe it's rated at 1.8 cents per page for black & white pages, i'd have to go check.

I'm MORE than happy with it - it resides on our network, so any computer can scan from it or print to it. Heck, you stand at the document feeder and push scan - then it prompts you to tell it which computer to send it to (form the ones on at the time). It's pretty fast too.

HP markets it as being cheaper than a laser printer. I got it for $169 at Office Depot on sale, and Costco recently dropped it to $149. I'm assuming that means there is a newer model coming out - but i'd have no problems buying it again.

I also have a Brother laser and used a standalone scanner with it... .that didn't work as well as i had hoped when i bought it. But the laser was great. The cheapest place i found for my toner for it was Circuit City (or Newegg.com) online - but the HP works out cheaper per print, and I can buy them for a decent price in town (Office Depot & Staples are $20 more for the toner cartridge for the laser).

I'd suggest joining Consumer Reports for the month ($6) and viewing the report. They give you cost on color pages and speed.

ETA: I haven't bought ink for it yet, it uses the HP88 Cartridges, 1 black and 3 color, they come in normal and XL size (XL - more ink), to get the cheap prints you go with the XL and it's around $35....

http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/C9396AN%2523140;HHOJSID=tQWvLzXLftKChTz1yqSyS84wlVFC2HpyqR31ZS9j2yPNySLHlBxp!-2034534010

The yield on that is rated at: HP 88XL Black Ink Cartridge 2450 standard pages; and color

HP 88XL Cyan Ink Cartridge 1700 standard pages

HP 88XL Magenta Ink Cartridge 1980 standard pages

HP 88XL Yellow Ink Cartridge 1540 standard pages

And that is pretty good - because according tot he usage levels - i'm using more magenta! LOL!!! (but i'd been meaning to look this up - so thanks for asking)

This is a cool feature on the HP site for checking yields per cartridge!

http://h10060.www1.hp.com/pageyield/us/en/index.html

ETA: I haven't bought ink for it yet, it uses the HP88 Cartridges, 1 black and 3 color, they come in normal and XL size (XL - more ink), to get the cheap prints you go with the XL and it's around $35....

http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/C9396AN%2523140;HHOJSID=tQWvLzXLftKChTz1yqSyS84wlVFC2HpyqR31ZS9j2yPNySLHlBxp!-2034534010

The yield on that is rated at: HP 88XL Black Ink Cartridge 2450 standard pages; and color

HP 88XL Cyan Ink Cartridge 1700 standard pages

HP 88XL Magenta Ink Cartridge 1980 standard pages

HP 88XL Yellow Ink Cartridge 1540 standard pages

And that is pretty good - because according tot he usage levels - i'm using more magenta! LOL!!! (but i'd been meaning to look this up - so thanks for asking)

This is a cool feature on the HP site for checking yields per cartridge!

http://h10060.www1.hp.com/pageyield/us/en/index.html

If you belong to Costco they have an HP7555 (I think that's the number :confused:) on sale for $159. It uses 88XL cartridges. And the ink at Costco is cheap too, well, not exactly cheap, you're going to spend around $70 for the XLs, but cheaper than any place I've seen.

If you belong to Costco they have an HP7555 (I think that's the number :confused:) on sale for $159. It uses 88XL cartridges. And the ink at Costco is cheap too, well, not exactly cheap, you're going to spend around $70 for the XLs, but cheaper than any place I've seen.

I thought i'd put them in my phone, but i recall it was $65-68 for the 2 pack. I just didn't have the cash that week to buy them. The 3 pack of the colors was pretty close to that too.

I wonder what Sam's Club is? we are getting one those "soon" (they are going SLOOOWWWWW on it now, ugh). Cheaper than the 60 mile drive to Costco though! LOL!!