Menu

God and the History of Art

Thinking about using this for dd high school credit. If she does everything in the book (I have books 1 and 2) what kind of credit would you give?? only for the hands on art work, art history only ?? Is this even going to be enough or should we supplement?? Trying to figure out high school without :willy_nilly:kwim?

I have never used it but just looked it up. Wow, 250 art lessons in one place. It sounds great. Definately an art credit for practical. Will she be able to do them all in a year? It sounds like a lot for one year if they are all lessons where she will produce art work or is that including the history/ artist potion as well? I would be tempted to get a used copy of Sister Wendy's art history just to add a bit it. Then call it art history too. I hope this helps some.

I'm not sure how much she will get done this year, we use a diploma program that lets you accumulate hours over your whole high school time, so we are shooting for 1/2 year of art/art history credit a year and then if she does more fine but that, with some art shows will give her 2 years credit by the time she graduates, hopefully.

I haven't seen Sister Wendy's stuff, is it good enough that I should try to work it in also?

Thanks.

I used this for high school with my son and daughter! We loved the curriculum! Some of it is art work, some of it is reading about famous artists. On the days we didn't do art work, I had them read several lessons' worth in their book.

You could use it all in one year - some lessons are much shorter than others - and give a full 1 credit.

Or split it into two years, and give 1/2 credit for each year. This is what we did. I called it "Art History I" and "Art History II" on their transcripts.

Edited by southcarolinamom

Did you just use book 1 for credit? I have books 1 and 2 so was thinking I could get 2 credits for them, but wasn't sure. Glad to here you enjoyed it, she looked through them last night and seemed pretty interested.

I purchased this for my ds's 9th grade art credit. He found it very juvenile and couldn't take it seriously. I decided to add in the 9th grade Harmony Fine arts set which included the Sister Wendy and the Annotated Mona Lisa art books (which I am currently selling on the sale board :D). Those he didn't balk with, seemed to enjoy the visual aspect of Harmony, but he still did not care for God and the History of Art. Sooooo mid year I purchased How Great Thou Art (from same maker as God and the History of Art) and that went over MUCH better. It's definitely more age appropriate with some of the assignments actually challenging...in a high school kind of way. ;)

So, all that to say, if your dd doesn't have a problem with the juvenile aspect of God and the History of Art, then great, go for it! But I would in no way count it high school level unless she is actually working harder than the book expects. She would need to do several lessons a day....because some of them take about 2 minutes to complete...or you will want to supplement with something more rigorous like Harmony's package. My opinion of course.

We really enjoyed the Sister Wendy book. I had it from the library for a really long time. When I had to return it dh found a used one cheap for us. Both dc 's liked it and we all learned alot.

Now just to confuse you :lol:I will add we recently have added an ancient copy of Gardner's Art Through History and a study guide to our collection. Dd14 loves them but art is her thing. These books are used for AP prep. I felt I should tell you about them just in case you might be interested. Not sure that we will be doing it with the AP as the goal--we live in the UK so location is going to be a huge issue for us. It will probably take her 2 years because her schedule is pretty full but the guide is wonderful.

You could use God and the history of Art for one credit. If she enjoys it follow up with Gardner 's or similar.

Thanks for the advice. I hadn't heard of Harmony fine arts or Gardner's art through history. I'll have to look into those, But, for now, since I have this, we'll have to stick with it because of finances.

As to how juvenile the God & the History of Art is, I couldn't say at this point. I do know that as a young (13) 9th grader she will probably tolerate that sort of thing more than some might, but, we will have to see as we go along. At this point I'm going to turn her loose with it and see how much she gets done this next year and how she feels about it after using it for a while. She's very self motivated so I'm sure those 2 min. lessons will be added to. When doing art, she tends to loose track of time and will spend hours on it, so this may not last that long after all.

I do wonder about how to get some nice color art examples cheap, though. I assumed the curriculum would have some nice color examples of what she is learning about but it doesn't. So, if you have any suggestions for that :bigear:

Thanks