Menu

Questions for Catholics, Anglicans, and Related Groups

1. Sometimes on blogs Catholics will comment about how communion "sustains" them. What do they mean? As a generic Protestant, to me, it sounds like they are getting a jolt of caffeine or something, so I obviously don't understand and haven't experienced this.

2. What is it like moving from a non-denominational or evangelical church to a liturgical church? In the past visits to liturgical churches the call and response/congregational reading of old prayers seemed like an empty ritual to me. At a recent visit to a Lutheran church, I noticed how much more theologically rich and accurate they seemed, and not just shallow "Jesus as my boyfriend" fluff.

1. Sometimes on blogs Catholics will comment about how communion "sustains" them. What do they mean? As a generic Protestant, to me, it sounds like they are getting a jolt of caffeine or something, so I obviously don't understand and haven't experienced this.

I'm Eastern Orthodox (I've attached a timeline if you want to see where we fit in to the picture, since some people are not too familiar with Orthodoxy). For us, the bread and wine are mysteriously the Body and Blood of Christ, not just a symbolic figuring of these things. Because of this, approaching the chalice is something to be taken seriously (not that others don't take it seriously!). A lot of preparation goes in to receiving this gift each week -- we fast, we say preparation prayers, we confess sins and sure to be at peace with all as far as it is possible, etc. In receiving the Gift, it's the Body and Blood of Christ, so it's LIFE. It's a life-giving element in our lives. Living from Sunday to Sunday can become all about receiving this life-sustaining food that gives us strength for the journey.

2. What is it like moving from a non-denominational or evangelical church to a liturgical church? In the past visits to liturgical churches the call and response/congregational reading of old prayers seemed like an empty ritual to me. At a recent visit to a Lutheran church, I noticed how much more theologically rich and accurate they seemed, and not just shallow "Jesus as my boyfriend" fluff.

This has very much been our experience. In my head I used to think liturgical churches must be very boring and uncreative if everyone was doing the service out of a book, but I'd not ever experienced one. Once we started attending this type of church (we were charismatic/non-denominational before), I still wondered how it could not get boring. But now, 3 years later, it's just amazing how rich and deep and life-giving it really is even though we do the same basic service every weekend. The prayers we're praying never get old, and the lessons we learn from the service are SO rich that we could never plumb the depths (so we just keep pressing on and growing more). But more than that, we've entered the heavenlies through participating in the Divine Liturgy. How could that ever get old?

post-4372-13535087019373_thumb.jpg

Edited by milovaný

1. The church is meant to be a community. I take great comfort in knowing that on any given sunday there are others in the Anglican communion saying the same prayers, reading the same scriptures, as I am. It is comforting, and helps sustain an individual when their own faith is sagging. Jesus wanted the Church to be a community, and that doesn't just mean the community of people in your neighborhood church, but around the world. Or at least, it can mean that.

2. Well, i was baptized in the Episcopal church, but then moved away and attended all sorts of various churches. Going back to the Episcopal church was liking going home, but again, it was my church of origin. The call and response though are definitely not empty ritual. I take GREAT comfort in them. When the Priest says "The Lord be with you!" and we respond "And with your spirit!" I know that I, at least, am saying it with feeling and joy. It is participatory, and I love it.

I think you might think of the sustaining power of the Eucharist in terms of an analogy with marriage: when I am having a bad day (or week! Lol) a hug, sweet word, etc. from dh can really be sustaining to me, truly in a sense keeping me alive.

The Eucharist is like this too, but ineffably more so because it IS Christ and His Love we receive, whereas with dh I don't receive him, but rather an experience of his love. Receiving the Eucharist truly does keep my soul alive.

It is not a perfect analogy, but maybe you can see what I am getting at. :001_smile:

1. The church is meant to be a community. I take great comfort in knowing that on any given sunday there are others in the Anglican communion saying the same prayers, reading the same scriptures, as I am. It is comforting, and helps sustain an individual when their own faith is sagging. Jesus wanted the Church to be a community, and that doesn't just mean the community of people in your neighborhood church, but around the world. Or at least, it can mean that.

I love how you worded that, Katie. So true.

I think you might think of the sustaining power of the Eucharist in terms of an analogy with marriage: when I am having a bad day (or week! Lol) a hug, sweet word, etc. from dh can really be sustaining to me, truly in a sense keeping me alive.

The Eucharist is like this too, but ineffably more so because it IS Christ and His Love we receive, whereas with dh I don't receive him, but rather an experience of his love. Receiving the Eucharist truly does keep my soul alive.

It is not a perfect analogy, but maybe you can see what I am getting at. :001_smile:

That's a wonderful analogy.

That was a helpful analogy.

I'm Eastern Orthodox (I've attached a timeline if you want to see where we fit in to the picture, since some people are not too familiar with Orthodoxy). For us, the bread and wine are mysteriously the Body and Blood of Christ, not just a symbolic figuring of these things. Because of this, approaching the chalice is something to be taken seriously (not that others don't take it seriously!). A lot of preparation goes in to receiving this gift each week -- we fast, we say preparation prayers, we confess sins and sure to be at peace with all as far as it is possible, etc. In receiving the Gift, it's the Body and Blood of Christ, so it's LIFE. It's a life-giving element in our lives. Living from Sunday to Sunday can become all about receiving this life-sustaining food that gives us strength for the journey.

This has very much been our experience. In my head I used to think liturgical churches must be very boring and uncreative if everyone was doing the service out of a book, but I'd not ever experienced one. Once we started attending this type of church (we were charismatic/non-denominational before), I still wondered how it could not get boring. But now, 3 years later, it's just amazing how rich and deep and life-giving it really is even though we do the same basic service every weekend. The prayers we're praying never get old, and the lessons we learn from the service are SO rich that we could never plumb the depths (so we just keep pressing on and growing more). But more than that, we've entered the heavenlies through participating in the Divine Liturgy. How could that ever get old?

:iagree:

I love how you worded that, Katie. So true.

Well thank you, because now I'm realizing that the OP might have meant the Eucharist, not the communion of believers.....so I hope my post was helpful.

As for communion sustaining us, in the sense of the Eucharist....it takes Jesus into us, in some fashion that is a mystery. And having Jesus become more a part of you can only help you.

For me, the Eucharist is taking in the Bread of Life; Jesus wants to be so close to me that he comes inside physically in the host. I'm a very visual and tactile person, so this is very powerful for me. The Eucharist in not just a symbol, but it is actually the body and blood of Christ.

If you actually read the responses and the prayers leading to them, you will see the richness and sincerity of the liturgy. There is also a sense of community with the people celebrating mass with me in my church and around the whole world. We are saying the same prayers and responses in many different languages. I also love the reminder to humility in the response/prayer, "Lord, I am not worthy for you to enter under my roof, but only say the word and I shall be healed." (Used to be, "Lord, I am not worthy to receive you, but only say the word and I shall be healed.") This is my favourite part right before taking communion. It puts it into perspective for me.

I recently listened to the podcast Reflections on Redeeming Repetition: Rut, Routine, and Ritual

Here: http://circeinstitute.org/free-audio/

Andrew Pudewa does a really great job of talking about this very subject (the empty ritual one)...but if you will listen to the very end you will get a pretty good view into why the Eucharist is so important.