Menu

I just want to move somewhere...often.

This seems to hit me all the time now. I just so often wish we could move to another state. A lot of that time, the state I want to move to is VA, which would not be drastically different, but plenty of times I think...WY or Alaska or CO. I don't know what it is with me. I just crave something different soooo much!

I read about that mom with the six kids piled up on the bicycle and it makes me think, "See? Doing something interesting. Can't bike a pile of kids around here. I'd be a speed bump if I even tried to bike my own self any further than the end of my driveway!"

When I was in Alaska, I kept thinking, "I am soooo happy here. This is natural and beautiful and bold and different." When I was in CO, similar, plus I had my brother and his incredibly dear wife and in-laws, sweetening the deal and making me want to live there.

It's nothing wrong with our house or our actual location; in fact, I love my individual lot back in the woods, it's lovely. We have great friends and family and awesome parks and a piano teacher and a good pediatrician and all those great things. It's not that I don't like being *here*. It's just that I'm yearning for something to be different. I find myself envying people who pulled up and built an orphanage in Mexico or moved to Malaysia. ;)

I'm revving up to re-paint the heck out of my house, in part because I'm hoping it will satisfy a little of that "want something different" urge that is buggin' me all the time. :glare: Is something terribly wrong with me? Is it a 40+ thing rearing its ugly head again? In practical terms, it is not feasible for us to move soon or very far; overdeveloped sense of responsibility and all. :tongue_smilie: But I find myself calculating the point at which it will be more feasible than it is now (2017, but who's counting?). Can you relate?

I grew up in Columbia, Maryland, not too far from you, I suppose. I now live in Georgia. I have good friends. I like my house, well, except the purple carpet. (We bought our house from one of the original VPs of Home Depot. We have expensive purple carpet throughout the house. I am sure Mrs. S loved her purple carpet. I don't.) I sometimes want to move back to Columbia. Or to New England. Or to Alexandria, VA. Or to Toulouse, France. Or to Oxford, England. And all of those places are reasonable places for DH to work. But I am in Georgia.

I don't know why I am posting this. Maybe just to let you know you aren't the only one.

Oh, boy! Yes, I can relate. Especially the wanting to be in VA part. The real difference for me is that I wanted to leave NY by the time we got here. We only moved here so dh could pursue his doctorate. Well.....he wrapped that up four stinking years ago, and we're still here. Alone. All of our family is in VA. *sigh* I really regret moving here.

Oh....sorry. Boy I'm not exactly little Miss Suzie Sunshine when it comes to talking about NY, huh?

Sounds to me like you have Wanderlust. Some people just have it and there doesn't have to be a reason why. A new adventure might help curb it though. Are you on summer break from school? Maybe you can take a mini trip somewhere??

Yeah, wanderlust. Totally true that. I have been thinking if there's something we can do before school is back in session. I have a summer class starting next week though, so there is only a week or two in August when I could go. Although, I could go on a little 3- or 4-day-jaunt somewhere not terribly far.

I grew up in Columbia, Maryland, not too far from you, I suppose. I now live in Georgia. I have good friends. I like my house, well, except the purple carpet. (We bought our house from one of the original VPs of Home Depot. We have expensive purple carpet throughout the house. I am sure Mrs. S loved her purple carpet. I don't.) I sometimes want to move back to Columbia. Or to New England. Or to Alexandria, VA. Or to Toulouse, France. Or to Oxford, England. And all of those places are reasonable places for DH to work. But I am in Georgia.

I don't know why I am posting this. Maybe just to let you know you aren't the only one.

Ah, Columbia. Yep, not far from me at all. I was just there Monday, at the Apple store, getting a new charger for my Macbook. ;) Oxford, England! Yes, that would be very exciting!

Oh, boy! Yes, I can relate. Especially the wanting to be in VA part. The real difference for me is that I wanted to leave NY by the time we got here. We only moved here so dh could pursue his doctorate. Well.....he wrapped that up four stinking years ago, and we're still here. Alone. All of our family is in VA. *sigh* I really regret moving here.

Oh....sorry. Boy I'm not exactly little Miss Suzie Sunshine when it comes to talking about NY, huh?

Awww, I'm sorry, :grouphug: I have a sister in NY, but she's thrilled to be there. I love VA. It's pretty. :001_smile:

I am today! I had to move back to here last fall. I didn't want to but oh well. This week I am wanting to go back to Seattle so badly I told dh to quit his job, give everything away and let's go. Obviously not the wise choice but he tolerates this constant desire to change. :lol: Then we had the idea of CO. he won't move without a job but he applied to 3 out west today :D So who knows, maybe it will happen. We sure can't afford it right now. We are supposed to move into a new rental in 2 weeks. but it doesn't feel right you know?

I would love to move around too, but Dh is Mr. Steady and Conservative, so the fact that I got him to go from NH to NC is a HUGE deal. We've been here 6.5 years, and I long to go someplace else... like Costa Rica or Belize. A year ago, it was Colorado. He tolerates my whims verbally, but I can't ever see him acting on them.

Ho. hum.

So, yes. I get it.

Yeah, wanderlust. Totally true that. I have been thinking if there's something we can do before school is back in session. I have a summer class starting next week though, so there is only a week or two in August when I could go. Although, I could go on a little 3- or 4-day-jaunt somewhere not terribly far.

That sounds like a good plan. :)

I can relate. I've lived in 12 places in the last 20 years! I get insanely bored living in the same place for too long. When we moved to our current location we promised the kids we would stay till they all finished school. We have been here for four years and have six more to go! I sometimes feel like I am dying staying here for so long!

I think painting is a good plan--lots of physical work and something new at the end. I'm working on new curtains right now.

I totally think you should move to Malaysia! :tongue_smilie:

From one wanderlust girl to another: "Not all those who wander are lost." ~Tolkien

You totally know I meant you, right? Dream-liver. I envy.

My house is in a constant state of remodel for that very reason. I love my house, my community, my state, and really I would not want to move from here, but we do love Florida (we have vacationed there every year for five years, and I am looking forward to the trip tis fall). I see pictures of Colorado and I love the acres and acres of tress up there surrounding beautiful hiking country with rivers and parks (I could do without the bears though lol). I think my thing is that I can be happy just about anywhere, so I dream.

I understand. Sort of. Right now I want to move because our area is abysmal. The thing is, I could happily move every year. I'd love to go in to a vibrant city, explore it heavily for a year or so, and then move on to the next stop. I don't need or want roots, really. My family was always small and now I'm down to two relatives, an uncle who lives clear across tr country, and my mom who lives here. When my mom is gone I would be truly alone here, which depresses and scares me. I definitely want to move fast, I'd take her with me if she'd go.

I love my house, my community, my state, and really I would not want to move from here, but we do love Florida (we have vacationed there every year for five years, and I am looking forward to the trip tis fall).

As a Florida native, I thank you for your kind words about my state. It's so nice to hear something positive for a change. :) :001_wub:

I get wanderlust too. The thing is, we DO move each year. I guess it fits us. We don't do it because of wanderlust, that's just the way it happens. It is getting old though, having to pack up and move everything so often. It's a huge hassle and getting harder and more scary to find rentals the bigger our family gets. But there is something nice about not being tied down to a mortgage.

I would love to move around too, but Dh is Mr. Steady and Conservative, so the fact that I got him to go from NH to NC is a HUGE deal. We've been here 6.5 years, and I long to go someplace else... like Costa Rica or Belize. A year ago, it was Colorado. He tolerates my whims verbally, but I can't ever see him acting on them.

Ho. hum.

So, yes. I get it.

My husband grew up in the same house from the age of two, and his parents live there still. I moved a lot as a kid. So many times I can't even name all the schools I attended. To hubby, staying in one place is what people are supposed to do. I, OTOH, feel like I'm stagnating....dying a little bit every day.

We moved to TX 12 years ago, with me I kicking and screaming. I never wanted to move here, and didn't even get to pick out my own house. (DH bought it before I got to TX) Living 12 years in a house I didn't choose and don't even like has been slowly driving me clinically :willy_nilly: .

My DH is a "slow and steady, don't rock the boat" kind of guy. He likes his job, and doesn't want to change unless he can move with the same company. He's really quite a wonderful guy, sensitive and understanding about everything else but THIS is his blind spot.

It's really strange you posted this now as just this week I've been struggling with a similar feeling. I love where we live now, love the house, love the town, we're near lots of interesting places, the older two boys are able to attend an almost perfect school. But last week DH was phoned by a headhunter about a job in Cork, Ireland. DH doesn't really think he wants the job, even though it's more money and his current job is on what he calls a 'slippery slope'. DH likes to be settled. But all week I have just longed for Cork :tongue_smilie:. It's crazy, makes no sense at all, but I just want to go, and feel weirdly disappointed because I know it's unlikely to happen. I think maybe I'm just a bit bored, so now I'm trying to work out what might pep me up a bit.

I should have been a military wife instead of marrying Mr. Steady Accountant man who never lived further than 20 minutes away from his parents in his entire 53 years. :glare:

:iagree: I married rather late in life (mid/30s) and had moved around a bit -even taught overseas a couple of years when I was still single. I would love to move again, but Hubby likes to stay put, and I've learned to be ok with that. Nothin' wrong with putting down roots.

Edited by KrissiK

I used to be like that. I think wanderlust is OK in some instances. I had a mom who picked me up and moved me 13 times before I was 12. That set a precedence in my life for change. It was like PMS, it's come like clockwork. Things got boring and I wanted Big Change. Something bad happened and my response was to move.

Then I married my DH, who moved once in his life. I really struggled with it.

I think my epiphany came at my grandfather's funeral. He lived in the same town most of his life, and then went back to live in the same house he was born in. When he passed the whole community came out. I sat at that funeral home in utter amazement at what a lifetime of serving one community does. The relationships he had, the people who loved him, what he accomplished for those people. There must have been over a hundred people there.

That's what I want.

I'm also very deeply happy with this last house we bought. They'll wheel me out of here dead. It's my forever home. I can't explain it, but I knew the other houses we had weren't it.

Edited by justamouse

I am the complete opposite. As a child we moved all the time. I never went one year to the same school (Texas, Mich. Oregon and even South America). As a young adult I lived in Los Angeles. I moved back to Texas and meet future dh (who was going to college there, but except for college has never lived away from his family here in South Jersey). Before meeting dh, my very serious boyfriend was in the air force. We talked about getting married but I decided that I wanted roots, I did not want to move around anymore. What is funny is that I am pretty sure that he would not have been into adoption so if I had married him, I would not have my dc. Anyway, I love that I have roots now in South Jersey and we will probably never move from here. Dh

s entire extended family is here and we all get along great. We have our house up for sale but will only be moving 15 min. away (in same township as dh's extended family).

p.s. I have visited almost every state in the contineatal US on vacations. Love many of them ( Washington, Oregon, lived there, Idaho, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Florida etc ) but still have no desire to move any time soon if ever

Well, it is pretty awesome in Malaysia for sure. :D But there are lots of great places to live and you don't even have to dislike the place where you are to want to be somewhere else, too. Take the chance if you get it. You only get to do this life once.

Yeah...there's nearly no chance at all that dh would dream of moving to another country. He seriously doesn't even want to vacation anywhere outside of the US. The weird thing was that he was Mr. Excitement when we met. He's a pilot and he was always into having some sort of adventure. But he's not like that anymore. I have to drag him off on an adventure now.

I understand. Sort of. Right now I want to move because our area is abysmal. The thing is, I could happily move every year. I'd love to go in to a vibrant city, explore it heavily for a year or so, and then move on to the next stop. I don't need or want roots, really. My family was always small and now I'm down to two relatives, an uncle who lives clear across tr country, and my mom who lives here. When my mom is gone I would be truly alone here, which depresses and scares me. I definitely want to move fast, I'd take her with me if she'd go.

This is what I think often. That I like to fully experience a place, something that would be different. Doing this is incompatible with the way we currently earn our money, though. That is one reason this is a pipe dream.

My DH is a "slow and steady, don't rock the boat" kind of guy. He likes his job, and doesn't want to change unless he can move with the same company. He's really quite a wonderful guy, sensitive and understanding about everything else but THIS is his blind spot.

Same with my dh. His mom still lives in the house he lived in most of his life and his business office is in her garage. My parents still live in the house I grew up in. I have to say, I do like roots; that is part of what I've loved about being around here all this while. But it's starting to bother me now, because we have deep roots but so much "samety-same."

It's really strange you posted this now as just this week I've been struggling with a similar feeling. I love where we live now, love the house, love the town, we're near lots of interesting places, the older two boys are able to attend an almost perfect school. But last week DH was phoned by a headhunter about a job in Cork, Ireland. DH doesn't really think he wants the job, even though it's more money and his current job is on what he calls a 'slippery slope'. DH likes to be settled. But all week I have just longed for Cork :tongue_smilie:. It's crazy, makes no sense at all, but I just want to go, and feel weirdly disappointed because I know it's unlikely to happen. I think maybe I'm just a bit bored, so now I'm trying to work out what might pep me up a bit.

I would be SO intrigued by Ireland if I had a notion that was any sort of possibility. Dh would not dream of moving there in a million years; he doesn't even want to vacation there. He's very Amero-centric. :tongue_smilie:

Same town my whole life. All 33 years. I have wanted to move for the last 12. Its getting a little crazy. Dh is very steady but promises we will move some day. Sigh.

That's been our story, too. We've both lived our entire lives in MD. We've only moved between adjacent counties within the state. He moved from Montgomery County to Howard and now to Carroll and I moved from Anne Arundel to Howard and now to Carroll. We certainly are steady, if dull. :tongue_smilie:

I used to be like that. I think wanderlust is OK in some instances. I had a mom who picked me up and moved me 13 times before I was 12. That set a precedence in my life for change. It was like PMS, it's come like clockwork. Things got boring and I wanted Big Change. Something bad happened and my response was to move.

Then I married my DH, who moved once in his life. I really struggled with it.

I think my epiphany came at my grandfather's funeral. He lived in the same town most of his life, and then went back to live in the same house he was born in. When he passed the whole community came out. I sat at that funeral home in utter amazement at what a lifetime of serving one community does. The relationships he had, the people who loved him, what he accomplished for those people. There must have been over a hundred people there.

That's what I want.

I'm also very deeply happy with this last house we bought. They'll wheel me out of here dead. It's my forever home. I can't explain it, but I knew the other houses we had weren't it.

I do have to say, I've been to funerals where I thought the same thing. My husband's uncle's funeral was like that. He was sooooo revered by such a lot of people. It was the largest funeral I've ever seen for an older person.

I get that quite often!! I usually go a camping trip somewhere new or at the very least a day trip to explore something. If none of that is possible, I plan long trip somewhere down to the smallest detail and read books about other places. It helps, even if I never get to take the long trips due to finances.

I can totally relate.

I just yesterday finished painting the entire upstairs...again. :tongue_smilie:We have only lived here 3 years.:glare:

I am so ready to move.

ETA: I would go anywhere with 4 seasons.

Edited by Amy+2

It's funny that this topic should come up. I just told dh on Monday that we should pack up and move. I've been like that forever, when my husband mentions job opportunities in other cities, I'm all about it! I'll even look up houses, cost of living, things to do... but it never happens. I think this past week I asked at an opportune time of peak stress and frustration at work. He's actually giving it consideration.:001_smile:

While I do enjoy travel, I don't enjoy moving. I experience travel wanderlust at times, but never movinglust. ;) Further, my kids, as much as they enjoy visiting new places, like to come home to their lives. We have deep roots here: friends, large extended family, animals, music teachers etc.

Unless I had to (as a military spouse, perhaps) , I would not do it. I wouldn't enjoy the stress of finding new good friends, vets, new music teachers, or all the other 'settling in' one needs to do on a frequent basis. I've moved a quite a few times in my life, and while it's interesting and exiting at times, it's not fun. I do like seeing new places, and I do get excited planning a trip, but picking up and moving to a new place frequently would be difficult.

I have a temporary move (on the other side of the country) on the horizon, and I am honestly not looking forward to it all. Nor is my dd.

Edited by LibraryLover

I LOVE to move. We've lived in our current city 12 years, and I'm so ready - Paris! England! Please......Europe!

What has helped: we were fortunate enough to spend almost a year in Hong Kong about 4 years ago. So it was like moving but without all the hassle. :D. We were sent there with dh's job, and just shipped over clothes and school stuff, leaving our house empty. Returning was easy.

Now that I have the bug again, we solve it by spending summers somewhere else. Sometimes France or the UK, but usually San Diego (dh's hometown, and I lived there a long time). It gets me out of my home routine, and allows me to have fun with all my best friends who still live there. Not moving, but as close as I can get right now!

I feel the same way- a LOT! Good thing you said VA though, since that's where I am! We can choose to live anywhere between VA and Maine and, for some reason, that is more unsettling than liberating. We are always wondering if the grass is greener. My husband drives all over that area for work and assures me that we picked the best spot. ;) I have to take his word for it! We do travel quite a bit, but I struggle with wanting to give my kids roots vs. having amazing experiences like living overseas. This was a huge move for us and I feel like they are just now settling in and not missing Utah so much. So, it worries me to move them again.

I'm also beginning to see the silver lining with having my family on the other side of the country. It ain't all bad. :P

I would love to move around too, but Dh is Mr. Steady and Conservative ... He tolerates my whims verbally, but I can't ever see him acting on them.

Ho. hum.

So, yes. I get it.

:iagree:

I lived in the same house for 16 years growing up, then moved something like 12 times in 8 years when I was on my own and first married. Now we are going on 16 years in this current house and I'm all :willy_nilly: We've been seriously house hunting for about 3 years -- mostly, I think 'cause dh is just trying to make me happy -- but nothing has worked out. We finally just decided to give up and stay here. To say that my heart is quite broken would be an understatement, but I'm trying to have peace about it all. I got tired of house hunting too. Too depressing.

Maybe in 14 years when my youngest goes off to college! :nopity:

:iagree:

I lived in the same house for 16 years growing up, then moved something like 12 times in 8 years when I was on my own and first married. Now we are going on 16 years in this current house and I'm all :willy_nilly: We've been seriously house hunting for about 3 years -- mostly, I think 'cause dh is just trying to make me happy -- but nothing has worked out. We finally just decided to give up and stay here. To say that my heart is quite broken would be an understatement, but I'm trying to have peace about it all. I got tired of house hunting too. Too depressing.

Maybe in 14 years when my youngest goes off to college! :nopity:

:grouphug:

I've had wanderlust all my life. We moved back to be near my parents. I'm finally in a home I can see growing old in, however, it's no where near a beach and I wanted to live near a beach. We've moved every 5 years for the last 20 years, and I'm not wanting to move again.

Maybe we'll pick a vacation spot for each year once dh retires.