Menu

I had the scare of my life tonight (involving a bear).

We live in a high bear traffic town. It's a fact of life here. We see them all the time. They're in our carport at night. They're in our trees at night. I don't love it but we're accustomed to seeing them. Generally they're black, sometimes grizzlies.

Tonight, while I was talking to my mom on the telephone, my 12 yr ds came running into the house screaming blue murder from the top of his lungs -- I have never heard such wailing and crying (even when he broke his collar bone). My blood literally ran cold (I'm a huge wimp when it comes to injuries or blood and this was what I was imagining.) From the amount of wailing I was guessing he had lopped off a limb. I dropped the phone and ran to him and finally could hear the words "a bear is attacking Watson" (our 13yr old golden retriever). In my mind I thought "you've got to be kidding" but I knew from the screaming that he wasn't. I didn't really know what to do. I told the remaining kids (and dog) to stay inside while I went out to I guess see what was happening. I'm still not sure how true this could be. I'm yelling out the back door "where's the bear"? A guy across the streets says "right over there". In the mean time, my collected 12 yr dd was calling our dogs name and our dog responded to her calling. She came through our hedge and I scooped her up and brought her inside. And we all ran inside.

My legs were shaking like crazy (and I was thinking "why is it these things always happen when dh's at work?).

My dog is perfectly fine. She must have chased the bear, who hopped over a fence into a yard across the street. My son is physically fine and sleeping with his dog tonight. I told him he did the absolute right thing coming into the house for help (he sometimes scares me and I wouldn't put it past him to try and help the dog directly).

I cannot believe this all happened and am so relieved our dog did not die protecting our son, although I'm very relieved to know she was willing to protect him.

What a night!!

Good dog. <<pat, pat>> Good dog. (Please pass that along to your dog for me, ok?)

Wow, that "child screaming at the top of his lungs" thing is enough to send me into a complete frenzy - I'm proud of you for not losing your head. So glad to know everyone is ok.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: (One of those is especially for your 12yo)

Glad you are all okay. We're dealing with a problem bear right now and the DOW tells me that I have to wait until he rips one of the children up before I can do anything. He's ripped the front off the barn for several nights, trying to get to the chickens, plus eaten 100 pounds of lamb food. We had to move the market lambs to the shop until they go to the county fair tomorrow, plus move my dd in from the bunkhouse. There's just too much bulk food storage out there. One of these nights, he's going to start taking lambs, but as usual we'll be told we can do nothing. This is getting really expensive, having 70 head of sheep shut in and eating hay, but we don't dare let them out to pasture. SS&S comes to mind...

Actually it was the call center operator who said to me "luckily the bears aren't too aggressive because they have a good food source (people's garbage)". That did not make me feel any better!

Our problem is related to people's garbage. We do not leave our cans outside unsecured but I can't control what everyone else does so the bears do wonder the town.

It's a big pain in the butt!

She was doing her job. My son told me later he had no idea the bear was there until Watson started chasing it away. (I looked at that old bundle of bones last night and kind of chuckled to myself -- here's this almost 14 year old dog going after a bear! And she didn't even hesitate. I wonder what I'll be doing when I'm almost 100?)

I was also very thankful my son came into the house. He is very impulsive and doesn't always think through a situation and this dog is his very best friend. She goes everywhere with him. We brought her home (as an older dog - she was five) the same month we adopted him (he was four) so the two have "grown up" together in our home.

All around a very scary incident turned out okay.

:grouphug: What a great dog. You ds sounds like a very smart young man. You should take their picture together. Bears...wow.

She was doing her job. My son told me later he had no idea the bear was there until Watson started chasing it away. (I looked at that old bundle of bones last night and kind of chuckled to myself -- here's this almost 14 year old dog going after a bear! And she didn't even hesitate. I wonder what I'll be doing when I'm almost 100?)

I was also very thankful my son came into the house. He is very impulsive and doesn't always think through a situation and this dog is his very best friend. She goes everywhere with him. We brought her home (as an older dog - she was five) the same month we adopted him (he was four) so the two have "grown up" together in our home.

All around a very scary incident turned out okay.