Menu

Narnia Question

AngelaNYC

I'm starting the Chronicles of Narnia series with ds this year and I have a question. There seems to be a debate on whether to read the books in the order they were published:

1. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (1950)

2. Prince Caspian(1951)

3. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (1952)

4. The Silver Chair (1953)

5. The Horse and His Boy (1954)

6. The Magicians Nephew(1955)

7. The Last Battle (1956)

Or in chronological sequence:

1. The Magicians Nephew

2. The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe

3. The Horse and His Boy

4. Prince Caspian

5. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

6. The Silver Chair

7. The Last Battle

What has everyone else done - or plan to do, and why? Does it matter? Is it better one way or the other? Thanks.

I'm starting the Chronicles of Narnia series with ds this year and I have a question. There seems to be a debate on whether to read the books in the order they were published:

2. Prince Caspian(1951)

3. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (1952)

4. The Silver Chair (1953)

5. The Horse and His Boy (1954)

6. The Magicians Nephew(1955)

7. The Last Battle (1956)

Or in chronological sequence:

1. The Magicians Nephew

2. The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe

3. The Horse and His Boy

4. Prince Caspian

6. The Silver Chair

7. The Last Battle

What has everyone else done - or plan to do, and why? Does it matter? Is it better one way or the other? Thanks.

We did them in the order that, I believe, our full set was numbered on the spine which I believed to be the order intended by the author, and is a different order than either choice above. They are not readily available at the moment, but I believe this was:

2. The Magicians Nephew

3. The Horse and His Boy

I am sure those were the order for the first 3, and I know the Last Battle was last. The other 3 I tend to forget the order of, but as I recall...

4. Prince Caspian

6. The Silver Chair

7. The Last Battle

Order of publication! I have a set from when I was in elementary school, they are numbered like your first list and that is how I have always read them. Reading chronologically destroys some of the magic of the first book, in my opinion.

Ok, good. Thanks so much for the feedback. I just bought the whole series in one large book ($16 @ B&N w/educator's discount). It has them in chronological order, but I just numbered them by publication in the table of contents and that's how we'll read them. I'm really looking forward to it!

We read them in chronological order of events so we began with The Magician's Nephew. It was so exciting to finish the series and to hear my kids exclaim as characters were brought back to finish the set. My dc declare that they are so happy I read them in order of events as it made more sense to them as the stories/characters progressed, plus they always listened intently for old characters to be brought back in the next book. Interestingly enough, their favorite books in the set ended up not being The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe so I'm glad I didn't start with that one.

Edited by LuvnMySvn

LOL, I just asked my dc their opinion and here is what was thrown at me:

"How would you know where the witch came from?"

"How would you know who the professor really was?"

"How would you know about Lantern Waste?"

"How would you know about the Prophecy? (2 sons of Adam, 2 daughters of Eve)"

"How would you know how the wardrobe came to be and why it worked like it did?"

All of these have their beginnings in The Magician's Nephew.

So for what it's worth, my dc vote for starting at the beginning. :)

Edited by LuvnMySvn

I bought the whole series in one large book ($16 @ B&N w/educator's discount). It has them in chronological order, but I just numbered them by publication in the table of contents and that's how we'll read them. I'm really looking forward to it!

Is it this book that you have? http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Chronicles-Narnia-Publisher-HarperCollins/dp/B004T4R32G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1341535856&sr=8-2&keywords=the+complete+chronicles+of+narnia

If so, isn't it GORGEOUS?? I have this one, and we adore it.

That one is really nice looking. But we have THIS ONE. The pages are gold when the book is closed and it has one of those fabric bookmark things inside. (sorry for not knowing the technical terms for those things)

I wholeheartedly recommend reading them in order of publication the first time through. It really, in my estimation, makes for a better experience with the series. The order of publication is very close to his order of original writing and you can tell as you read them.

It's like trying to watch the sequel movie that is actually the prequel to the original story. There isn't as much character development in the second movie because you are supposed to already be familiar with the characters, ykwim?

Exactly! I was glad we read them chronologically.

I would read them in order of publication.

There is no need to know any of the "history" from the Magician's Nephew to appreciate the books.

I think the revelation that happens when you read the Magician's Nephew in publication order is so exciting! It's like "Wow, that's so cool!"

FWIW Magicians Nephew is my favourite and I would still recommend reading it in publication order. The light bulb moments are much more intense that way.

Well, our set is numbered 1-7 beginning with The Magician's Nephew so that is the order in which we read the books. I thought it was fine. I would absolutely recommend reading the books in that order (the second order listed by the OP) but it sounds like I'm in the minority here!

My kids and I didn't need to know any of these things in order to start with TLTWTW, or to continue on through in publication order. Because Lewis was not writing them in Narnia-chronological order nothing feels missing or lost when you start in the 'middle'.

You should always enter Narnia the first time through the Wardrobe. :)

Millions of people have read them with LWW first and didn't have problems because they didn't know where the witch came from. And when they got to the Magician's Nephew, they went "Ohhhhhhh..." :)

Edited by Ellie

Millions of people have read them with LWR first and didn't have problems because they didn't know where the witch came from. And when they got to the Magician's Nephew, they went "Ohhhhhhh..." :)

Magical, yes I agree. I'm a chronological gal, with the exception that TLTW&TW be swapped with Magician's Nephew. The story is so much more magical that way. With the later books it doesn't matter as much and I quite like to read them chronologically.

Our set was numbered with "The Magician's Nephew" first, so we read that one first. Then as we read TLW&W, we made the same comments as the above poster pointed out. I think whatever order you read them in, the same connections will be made. Although, with TMN fresh in our minds when we read TLW&W, my kids made the connections very quickly w/out much input from me. It is a magical series and that comes through no matter what order you read them in. ;)

JMO,

Joy

There is no need to know any of the "history" from the Magician's Nephew to appreciate the books.

I think the revelation that happens when you read the Magician's Nephew in publication order is so exciting! It's like "Wow, that's so cool!"

:iagree:

Order of publication! I have a set from when I was in elementary school, they are numbered like your first list and that is how I have always read them. Reading chronologically destroys some of the magic of the first book, in my opinion.

Yes, this. :iagree: :iagree: I love the aha moments... "so that's why the lamppost was there!"... that you only get when you read the books in publication order.

I would read all the other books and skip "The Magician's Nephew" altogether. I hated that book. I've read all the other books numerous times - too many to count. I've read "The Magician's Nephew" once.

Well, I do suppose you'd have to read it to say you've read the set, and you might like it, but.... just be warned.

We're actually reading them in chronological order (or will be - so far all we've gotten through is The Magician's Nephew), but DD was already familiar with The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe from the movie. She had some of the "aha" moments like where the lamppost came from based on that experience.

FWIW Magicians Nephew is my favourite and I would still recommend reading it in publication order. The light bulb moments are much more intense that way.

My kids and I didn't need to know any of these things in order to start with TLTWTW, or to continue on through in publication order. Because Lewis was not writing them in Narnia-chronological order nothing feels missing or lost when you start in the 'middle'.

Millions of people have read them with LWW first and didn't have problems because they didn't know where the witch came from. And when they got to the Magician's Nephew, they went "Ohhhhhhh..." :)

Yes, this. :iagree: :iagree: I love the aha moments... "so that's why the lamppost was there!"... that you only get when you read the books in publication order.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Well, I believe the first time I read them, it was in the order they were published. Then my grandparents got them for me for Christmas after I was married and I read them in the numbered order.

We are reading them aloud now and we are doing them in publishing order. I did notice that in the silver chair, there is mention of the story of the horse and his boy, 'though I don't have time to tell it right now' (in the book), which I think kind of sold me on reading them this way, especially for the first time. Plus, it is kind of cool IMO to read the magicians nephew later on, and see how it all ends up fitting in by looking back at having already read the lion the witch and the wardrobe, as opposed to vice versa.

I think either way is fine, but there is something just sort of magical about them this way. Idk. I'm weird, I know. :). Take it with a grain of salt, as the books actually make me tear up sometimes. :lol:

Personally, I never got past LWW, although I remembering enjoying that book.

According to wiki (I know, I know), Lewis wrote to an American fan:

I think I agree with your [chronological] order for reading the books more than with your mother's. The series was not planned beforehand as she thinks. When I wrote The Lion I did not know I was going to write any more. Then I wrote P. Caspian as a sequel and still didn't think there would be any more, and when I had done The Voyage I felt quite sure it would be the last, but I found I was wrong. So perhaps it does not matter very much in which order anyone read them. I’m not even sure that all the others were written in the same order in which they were published.

FWIW, we're starting them next month with The Magician's Nephew. We've already read LWW and my dd loves all three movies (yes, I'm upset she watched the movies before we've read the books (so we're definitely reading The Hobbit before Christmas)). If you are introducing the world of Narnia, start with LWW, but if not, it doesn't matter too much.