Menu

Help me pick a new math for ds7

He struggles to learn. I mean he REALLY.STRUGGLES.TO.LEARN!!!!!! We use Horizons (dd did AMAZING with it before switching to TT and ds 6 does really good with it) but ds 7 needs something else. He needs something that gives enough time on a concept (a few lessons- enough time to really cement the concept) BUT he also needs continual review. What can you recommend? I was thinking BJU math. Any other thoughts?

I am sure most of you know about his struggles- if not I will fill you in. He is only at this point 3/4 the way through Horizons 1 book 1. I know the curriculum is advanced so I am not sure if he could handle a 2nd grade level of a slower curriculum? I will have to look over placement tests to know that for sure I suppose!

Have you looked at Rod & Staff math or CLP? These two are very gentle with lots of review. I also like MCP, but it might not have enough review. There are plenty of folks on other forums here that like Math Mammoth, but all the worksheets might be overwhelming for your little guy - you would have to check that out.

Maybe MUS? It has been good for my kids who have a lot of the same issues as yours. The b/w pages with plenty of space to write in the text and limited # of problems has been a good fit.

For my ds who needed a lot of review we have either printed off pages from the website, used math shark, or supplemented with singapore math as needed.

Have you looked at Rod & Staff math or CLP? These two are very gentle with lots of review. I also like MCP, but it might not have enough review. There are plenty of folks on other forums here that like Math Mammoth, but all the worksheets might be overwhelming for your little guy - you would have to check that out.

I have looked into Math Mammoth before-that just won't work for him. Neight does Singapore. I am really confused with him. When we had his testing done about 16 months ago- he scored the end of 2nd grade math (when he was just in K) I don't understand how he scored SO good and yet struggles so bad with his curriculum... Anybody know what I am missing here??

I will look at R&S and CLP and see what I think! Thank you! Keep the suggestions coming :)

Maybe MUS? It has been good for my kids who have a lot of the same issues as yours. The b/w pages with plenty of space to write in the text and limited # of problems has been a good fit.

For my ds who needed a lot of review we have either printed off pages from the website, used math shark, or supplemented with singapore math as needed.

We did MUS Primer in K and it did him good but it drove me nuts. Unfortunatley I may have to put my dislike for it aside. I don't even know what I didn't like. Maybe its just Primer. Maybe the rest will be better!! I will check Alpha out again :) Thanks

My son had similar problems. He needs more hands on curriculum where he can use more than one of his senses to learn something. We switched to MUS Alpha - if he already knows his numbers and counting then Alpha focuses all on single digit addition subtraction. I love that it is a mastery curriculum and so we can go as slow or fast as we need to. :)

Well, we've got the opposite here- We are using MUS and WE like it (because it's mastery based and also focuses on concepts rather than rote memorization), but dd does not- but I don't think she'd like most any math program. She had problems with anything in public school, too. We're also supplementing with Life of Fred- which she enjoys because she is so much a "storyteller" sort of girl.

Sometimes there's just not going to be a magic curriculum and we do the best we can with our childrens' needs ;) Hang in there & I hope you find something. Our special needs consultant also recommended Right Start and Moving with Math for our dyslexic daughter, in addition to Math U See. And she also spoke highly of Jump Math....but I'm not sure a lot of US students are using it yet. They've had great success in Canada with it, though & a few folks on my other board for parents of dyslexic kiddos have really liked it. It's inexpensive, so maybe worth a shot?

Good luck!

Paula

My ds is 12. We started with MUS and loved it, but switched to Rod and Staff due to vision problems, then to BJU for more color and variety. This fall we are going back to MUS and adding in Life of Fred as the supplement that will provide variety. BJU is a good program, it has some review, but you have to do every extra page they have to get that review. Even with that last year I was printing additional practice worksheets off the MUS website. BJU also changes topics dramatically. You will do a chapter on beginning multiplication, then the next chapter will have absolutely nothing to do with multiplication (think volume or weight) with a few review questions sprinkled around, then the next chapter will be yet another topic, then you return to multiplication. It did not work for my child. He did not get enough long term practive that was slow and steady to truely get mastery. That is why we are returning to MUS.

I find MUS mind numbing slow at times. My ds loved primer, and alpha. For the occassional variety I am adding LOF as another poster is doing. I might also pull out some of those cheap workbooks to remind him of some skills he did learn before, like fractions, and to help break up the monotony.