Menu

Narnia - Supplemental Lit

momto2Cs

Any idea what is the ideal age to introduce the Narnia series? We listened to the audio books with my older girls when they were (??) younger (forgive me, I've had two kids since then, or maybe even while we were listening, so I don't remember their ages at the time). I do remember thinking they were a bit too young to understand much of the allegory. Any thoughts?

I really like the looks of many of your supplementary books. I'm considering using this type of study for my grade 6 son. I do however have a couple of concerns.

Is the Narnia series considered appropriate/challenging enough for grade 6?

I have found before that breaking up the reading of a book too much, can cause a disruption to the excitement/flow of the primary novel. I love many of the supplemental books you have chosen but I am concerned about how to incorporate them into the Narnia readings without too much disruption.

Anyone have ideas/thoughts on these concerns?

I totally think the books are appropriate for a 6th grader. My ds11 is 5th/6th grade, and reads them to himself occasionally, enjoying them very much.

As for the flow, I'm doing the Narnia study as our Afternoon Basket reading. A chapter each day of Narnia, plus a chapter or two of whatever else we are reading to go along with it... here is a sample day of how I am hoping it will work:

• Start the day with a Greek myth from the D'Aulaire book
  • Read a chapter in The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe
  • Read a chapter or section from another supplemental book (Beowulf, or Faerie Queene, or etc.)

At bedtime, or maybe earlier in the day, we'll be reading things like The Princess and the Goblin, or Five Children & It.

I think by reading a chapter a day, just as I would with a bedtime book or historical fiction, that we will keep the flow pretty well. I actually tried to keep the supplemental reading down a bit so that we wouldn't feel overwhelmed or fragmented.

Wow thank you for this timely list!

OT The Narnia Cookbook (when I last went looking for it) was out of print and extremely expensive to buy used. I found a copy at my library and was hugely disappointed. Seriously any recipes you want , you could do a 5 minute search on the net.

Thank you for your reply!

And another question....are any of the guides more toward the secular side. We are a christian family but I don't usually incorporate bible versus etc into our curriculum. I don't mind if it points out the symbolism etc in the books I just don't want a constant mention of versus etc....(I guess I'm being as clear as mud on this one.):glare:

Rethinking this......I don't know how to state exactly what I'm looking/not looking for. I know that the works are based upon Christian beliefs so there will be no guide that doesn't mention that with respect to the writers intent. I think I just need to get some previews of various guides and decide which is best for us.

Thanks for giving me a head start by finding all of these supplemental books.

Edited by Trez

Thank you for your reply!

And another question....are any of the guides more toward the secular side. We are a christian family but I don't usually incorporate bible versus etc into our curriculum. I don't mind if it points out the symbolism etc in the books I just don't want a constant mention of versus etc....(I guess I'm being as clear as mud on this one.):glare:

Rethinking this......I don't know how to state exactly what I'm looking/not looking for. I know that the works are based upon Christian beliefs so there will be no guide that doesn't mention that with respect to the writers intent. I think I just need to get some previews of various guides and decide which is best for us.

Thanks for giving me a head start by finding all of these supplemental books.

I found that The Way Into Narnia talked a lot about literary influences rather than primarily religious. While we're Christian also, I don't like everything to be all about that, so I was happy with the book.