Menu

Thinking of moving

We did - for the same reasons you mentioned -- except it was to be closer to 100% of everyone's activities.

It took awhile to sell -- 5 mos on the market in 2011 and then 9 weeks on the market from january 2012 till march 2012.

We are thrilled -- we walked out the house we sold with just enough to pay the realtor's commission --

we went from 1800 sq feet in our former home to 5500 sq feet in our new home -- we went from everything renovated and new to everything renovated and new AND we now have aguest cottage.

For us, it is an answer to prayer to be here in this new house.:grouphug:

And, we are closer to everything.

We sold ours in 4 weeks and had 3 offers. I think having ours staged made a difference. I don't think we had any bad feedback even if the house didn't meet their needs. It was a good experience overall.

When you say you had it staged do you mean you did it yourself? Did you just use what you already had? Did you get a storage unit?

We will need a storage unit. I am just not willing to purge down to the bare bones.

Dawn

We sold ours in 4 weeks and had 3 offers. I think having ours staged made a difference. I don't think we had any bad feedback even if the house didn't meet their needs. It was a good experience overall.

ACK! We will probably have to go smaller as we are moving closer in to the city where houses are more costly.

The big thing is getting DH to agree to less land.

Dawn

We did - for the same reasons you mentioned -- except it was to be closer to 100% of everyone's activities.

It took awhile to sell -- 5 mos on the market in 2011 and then 9 weeks on the market from january 2012 till march 2012.

We are thrilled -- we walked out the house we sold with just enough to pay the realtor's commission --

we went from 1800 sq feet in our former home to 5500 sq feet in our new home -- we went from everything renovated and new to everything renovated and new AND we now have aguest cottage.

For us, it is an answer to prayer to be here in this new house.:grouphug:

And, we are closer to everything.

ACK! We will probably have to go smaller as we are moving closer in to the city where houses are more costly.

Dawn

Less land -- less work......maybe.

We did stage as well -- remember I put the photos up here? We had a storage unit that was the size of a garage and a half. Any pieces of furniture that were oversized for a particular room were put into storage. And like the other poster said, once I staged, we didn't get negative feedback -

the word here is DECLUTTER. Even if you don't have clutter. ;)

Less stuff looks like more room.

Yes. I do know to declutter. We have sold 3 other houses, but this market is just different. We sold very easily before. Our houses were never cluttered but we didn't need to remove things that I think we will need to this time around.

Like: We have two bedrooms with almost nothing on the walls. Should we put up pictures or leave them bare? I am not buying a bunch of new bedspreads and such. We have enough costly stuff to do (like countertops) that I just don't think I will have a lot to buy new stuff.

The less land less work seems logical to most of us......but we have 2.5 acres and Dh would love MORE! :glare:

Dawn

Less land -- less work......maybe.

We did stage as well -- remember I put the photos up here? We had a storage unit that was the size of a garage and a half. Any pieces of furniture that were oversized for a particular room were put into storage. And like the other poster said, once I staged, we didn't get negative feedback -

the word here is DECLUTTER. Even if you don't have clutter. ;)

Less stuff looks like more room.

Edited by DawnM

I did talk a bit to DH today and he is agreeing to think about it and see what the realtor says about the worth of the house.

The neighbors lost over 100K so I am not getting too hopeful yet.

Dawn

Yes. I do know to declutter. We have sold 3 other houses, but this market is just different. We sold very easily before. Our houses were never cluttered but we didn't need to remove things that I think we will need to this time around.

Like: We have two bedrooms with almost nothing on the walls. Should we put up pictures or leave them bare? I am not buying a bunch of new bedspreads and such. We have enough costly stuff to do (like countertops) that I just don't think I will have a lot to buy new stuff.

The less land less work seems logical to most of us......but we have 2.5 acres and Dh would love MORE! :glare:

Dawn

This market is really quirky -- you are right about that. -- Bare walls are not a good thing -- art work gives perspective. Beds, etc: minimalist look -- i did the master bedroom as if it was a 'hotel' bedroom -- very clean looking and sleek. I moved things around from room to room till everything was the way i wanted. Use what you have (which it sounds like you are going to do) and I have scored big time at the Thrift Store and Goodwill.

When I finally got dh to agree to consider moving, I was crushed when he said it would be another three years.

So I found the perfect house, and we moved in three months later.

With the market, we didn't even try to sell our house. We became landlords. I don't know what the bank was thinking when they loaned us the money for the new house, but they did. It's gone well for two years so far; the rental market has been pretty steady in that area.

This is definitely not a rental house type house. It is more country and has 2.5 acres that need to be taken care of. We have wood floors that we don't want messed up, etc....

I also would not want to deal with a more expensive house getting trashed, people moving out and us left with 2 mortgages, etc.....

If we can't sell we won't move.

Dawn

When I finally got dh to agree to consider moving, I was crushed when he said it would be another three years.

So I found the perfect house, and we moved in three months later.

With the market, we didn't even try to sell our house. We became landlords. I don't know what the bank was thinking when they loaned us the money for the new house, but they did. It's gone well for two years so far; the rental market has been pretty steady in that area.

One of our neighbors took 18 months. Another took 3 months.....it just so depends on who is looking and what they are looking for.

If we can't sell we will just stay put.

I can't imagine having so much of our stuff in storage for 2 years though. That is what I am dreading. I like living in MY house MY way.....going for 2 years feeling like I am living in someone else's home will not be fun.

It took us two years to sell our house in NC. I think it really depends on where you are. We were in a small town. We moved to the mid-west just over a year ago and I miss NC very much!

One of our neighbors took 18 months. Another took 3 months.....it just so depends on who is looking and what they are looking for.

I can't imagine having so much of our stuff in storage for 2 years though. That is what I am dreading. I like living in MY house MY way.....going for 2 years feeling like I am living in someone else's home will not be fun.

In our small town with the unemployment rate so high it was hard to compete with foreclosures. Maybe the economy has picked up some since then?

In red, that is absolutely correct.

In blue, it gets old....fast.:glare:

Employment hasn't been as bad here, although it depends on who you ask! Dh's job is pretty stable and his firm is even hiring for certain positions.

I don't think the economy has picked up but I don't think our particular area was as hard hit by it as some others.

Dawn

In our small town with the unemployment rate so high it was hard to compete with foreclosures. Maybe the economy has picked up some since then?

We are in the same boat that you are! We have been commuting about an hour away for church for 3 1/2 years...Dh got a job in the same town as our church 2 years ago...and our homeschool group is there as well. So, needless to say we are moving. This will be the first time we sell a house, though, so it's a whole new experience for us. Wishing you all the best.

.....it just so depends on who is looking and what they are looking for.

We have some friends who moved for the same reasons as you. They sold their house in 2 weeks. But their neighborhood is very unique for this area; 2-3 acre lots in an established neighborhood close to the city. Oh, and they lost little value with the housing downturn. Our neighborhood OTOH doesn't sell well. It's just another standard subdivision.

We are getting ready to sell, but the market here in Texas hasn't suffered quite as much as some of the other states. I don't think we will make a profit, but I also don't expect it to take too long to sell. We are not willing to take more than $2000 to closing though. We are paying cash for our new house so at least we don't have the issue of having two mortgages should it take more time to sell.

This is definitely not a rental house type house. It is more country and has 2.5 acres that need to be taken care of. We have wood floors that we don't want messed up, etc....

I also would not want to deal with a more expensive house getting trashed, people moving out and us left with 2 mortgages, etc.....

Dawn

Yes, these were our concerns as well. I'm not sure what a "rental house type house" is, but there is a demand in our area for (relatively) higher end rentals. It's on five acres, wood floors, stainless appliances, etc. It was brand new when we moved in, and we moved out three years later. An older couple has lived there for the past two years after going through a foreclosure due to job loss. They are returning to their home state later this month. Dh saw the property last week; thankfully everything is still in great shape. I've been convincing myself to not worry, that it will rent again soon!

For us, we knew we'd lose our "perfect house" if we had to wait to sell. We couldn't afford to sell at a price that would move it quickly.

My dh would have loved more land, but dc and I were very eager to move closer in. We're happy, so he's happy. ;)

We moved recently for the same reasons you mentioned. We are closer to EVERYTHING. Dh' office, our friends, activities, etc.

We got a contract on our house in about a month because we priced it right. We lost $$$. But we are so happy in our new smaller closer house! No more sitting on SoCal freeways.:thumbup:

What I meant was that this area just doesn't have rentals, none that I have heard of.

How does the qualification for a loan for your other house work when you already have a mortgage?

I know Dh would never agree to it, but I am curious.

Dawn

Yes, these were our concerns as well. I'm not sure what a "rental house type house" is, but there is a demand in our area for (relatively) higher end rentals. It's on five acres, wood floors, stainless appliances, etc. It was brand new when we moved in, and we moved out three years later. An older couple has lived there for the past two years after going through a foreclosure due to job loss. They are returning to their home state later this month. Dh saw the property last week; thankfully everything is still in great shape. I've been convincing myself to not worry, that it will rent again soon!

For us, we knew we'd lose our "perfect house" if we had to wait to sell. We couldn't afford to sell at a price that would move it quickly.

My dh would have loved more land, but dc and I were very eager to move closer in. We're happy, so he's happy. ;)

Dh and I both commuted in SoCal. Even if I had stopped working, Dh worked in Beverly Hills.....no way we were getting close to that area price wise. :D

Our activities were over in the area where we were though.

Dawn

We moved recently for the same reasons you mentioned. We are closer to EVERYTHING. Dh' office, our friends, activities, etc.

We got a contract on our house in about a month because we priced it right. We lost $$$. But we are so happy in our new smaller closer house! No more sitting on SoCal freeways.:thumbup:

Dawn

In our area, a house with 2 1/2 acres would be much easier to sell. We needed to buy a place with 5 acres and it was TOUGH to find. There are lots of houses with an acre or less but very few with more than 2 for sale. It might be easier than you think.

The house we bought was listed overnight, we had the first showing at 11am that morning, put in an offer at noon, and by 1pm they had accepted the offer...........and the sellers thought the house would take 6 months or more likely a year or more to sell.

How does the qualification for a loan for your other house work when you already have a mortgage?

I know Dh would never agree to it, but I am curious.

This was just two years ago, after it became much tougher to qualify for a mortgage. We had to have a signed lease for the property we were going to rent out before the loan was approved. The home was worth just a bit more than our loan balance. Our income is not high, certainly not enough to cover both mortgages (honestly, I don't think it should be high enough to qualify for either loan by itself). We have another rental property that brings in a small amount of cash each month. However, dh and I have always maintained a stellar credit rating, so I think that went a long way with the mortgage company.

We're in the middle of doing that very thing right now! We're going to be moving very close to my husband's work *and* to my daughter's school! (It's a boarding school, so she won't live at home, but she'll be extremely close by, as in five minutes away. She *wants* to board, and we feel it'll help her socially.)

We're actually selling two houses -- our regular house and a log house that we own about 45 minutes away. The proceeds from both the houses will pay for one house in our new town, which is very expensive.

We think we've located a house to buy. My husband is going tomorrow to look it over more carefully and talk to the realtor about a possible bid.

Well, our neighbors had 4 acres and it took 18 months and a huge loss.

Many here want the neighborhoods with amenities and very little land it seems.

But the right buyer would be perfect.

Dawn

In our area, a house with 2 1/2 acres would be much easier to sell. We needed to buy a place with 5 acres and it was TOUGH to find. There are lots of houses with an acre or less but very few with more than 2 for sale. It might be easier than you think.

The house we bought was listed overnight, we had the first showing at 11am that morning, put in an offer at noon, and by 1pm they had accepted the offer...........and the sellers thought the house would take 6 months or more likely a year or more to sell.

Well, the homeschoolers who sold to us were moving locally, and their house wasn't on the market very long. I want to say two weeks? They tried to sell last summer and it didn't go, so they took it off the market. We saw it this spring and snapped it up.

Wow, 2 miles!

We would be moving about 17 miles or so.

We still wouldn't be in walking distance but certainly very close. I have no plans to go to a 7 seater bike anytime soon! :lol: (see the thread on the woman who bikes with 6 kids http://blog.oregonlive.com/themombeat/2012/07/omamas_take_5_portland_mom_mov.html)

Dawn

DH and I are actually considering moving less than 2 miles away from where we live right now. We're currently on the wrong side of the tracks, literally. Those two miles would put us within WALKING distance of everything!

Wow, 2 miles!

We would be moving about 17 miles or so.

We still wouldn't be in walking distance but certainly very close. I have no plans to go to a 7 seater bike anytime soon! :lol: (see the thread on the woman who bikes with 6 kids http://blog.oregonlive.com/themombeat/2012/07/omamas_take_5_portland_mom_mov.html)

Dawn

We moved 17 miles. :auto: