Menu

WWYD-If you knew you were moving but didn't know where?

This is probably a good question for all the military wives out there :001_smile:

Let's just say, hypothetically, of course;), that you knew you were going to be moving at some point in the next 12 month, but didn't know when or where. What you do know is that ANYWHERE (except maybe Texas) you move is going to have more regulations than the state in which you live. What would you do to start to prepare? Would you standardize test all your kids, would you start keeping track of hours instead of days? Or, would you maintain status quo until you ACTUALLY move and then start jumping through the new state's hoops? Do you even feel you have to jump through the new state's hoops since they don't technically know your children exist? Do you feel like there's a grace period of some sort when you move?

Just looking for some advice. . .Hypothetically speaking, of course.;)

Blessings!

Dorinda

We're military and we've lived 8 different places in the last 12 years. We usually have a good idea when we'll move, but we don't usually find out where until about 1-3 months out. If I were you, I wouldn't freak out. I'd make sure I was organized with my school papers and then just wait until you find out where you're going. You aren't going to be asked to test or submit portfolios right away; probably after your first year.

When moving time is approaching, I start to go through the entire house and start throwing things out and getting things organized. Start in one room and go through every drawer. This takes forever, so start early! Everything else can wait. I know that it's hard to wait, so hang in there!

We don't know where we're moving next year, or if we are. I've plugged everything into Skedtrack to help me keep track of hours, days, etc. and we'll be compiling a portfolio (like always). I don't know what will be expected of us but I like to prepare just in case. I'll dump what we don't need/add more when we find out our next location.

Thanks ladies. This is my line of thinking too. I've always done some of the things other states require. We don't really do portfolios, but we hang onto things from year to year. I need to start doing course descriptions anyway (getting ready for college), but I wasn't sure about testing. I guess if we're still here next year, I'll go ahead and test my youngest, but I've never understood testing them before 4th grade.

It's nice to know we can go a little easy on ourselves this year. :)

Blessings!

Dorinda

PS Not freaking out yet, but I just KNOW DH will find a job in the middle of the year. That's when it ALWAYS happens, right?