Menu

Do we not have anybody in South Dakota???

I've just been looking. I have questions, and I thought, certainly, I'd be able to find the info, here - but so far, no. No SD WTM'ers! :001_huh: That just seems so weird. I thought we were *everywhere*! :tongue_smilie:

My brother lived in Vermillion while he was getting his master's degree at USD. We went up to visit him for a week at one point. We've also been on a rush tour of Badlands National Park, Custer State Park, Mount Rushmore, and some cheesy, expensive wildlife park. Oh, and we stopped and did the Chevy Chase Vacation looksee at Devil's Tower.

We were just there on our way back from our big trip. We stopped at Rapid City and went to Mt. Rushmore. I actually really liked it (the area)! One of my requirements for where we end up is that there be a base nearby so we can use the commissary etc, and Ellsworth qualifies. Of course, Bob brought up the important point that he would need to do SOMETHING if we moved there--we still wouldn't be able to live on his retirement, LOL. Nothing up his alley, unfortunately. We got some groceries at the WalMart there, and I saw several large families, which surprised me, but also made me feel at home, and not like I stuck out like a sore thumb. Anyhow, passing through there made me wonder about homeschooling in that state, but I never even looked it up on HSLDA.

All that to say, I'm no help either, but I do love the big, empty prairie! : )

I think I'm the only SD WTM Mom on the boards. We are in the Sioux Falls area.

You're a rare species, huh? :tongue_smilie: I think Sioux Falls is clear across the state from where we were looking for information (Hot Springs, about an hour SW from Rapid City).

But state-wide, what's the situation like, regarding homeschoolers? A friend and I were looking at the laws, and all I could think was, "Look in Texas! Or Idaho! Run!" (But the scenery is gorgeous - wow!!) How is the overall tone of the Sec'y of the Dept. of Ed, etc.? How active are the truancy officers? Do older kids run into trouble if their schedule doesn't mirror the public schools' schedules? Is there much awareness of homeschooling, in general, there? (Yeah, that last one is a little vague. I know.)

What's the status of hs'ers in 9-12? We couldn't quite make that out, from the laws. It states that the teacher must have a Bachelor's to teach high school, right? Are there any other details along those lines?

We got a chuckle out of the no more than 22 students caveat - makes you wonder what happened to make them put that in!

Thanks so much!

Dy

I think I'm the only SD WTM Mom on the boards. We are in the Sioux Falls area.

Went to the homeschool booksale at a church there a week or so ago. Were you a part of that at all? I always enjoy going to that.

I used to be a volunteer at The Outdoor Campus and worked at Sylvan Learning Center for a few years too!

Nice to meet you "neighbor". :D lol!

We are a rare breed!

Jeanne - I wasn't at the book sale- bummer- it would have been fun to meet you IRL!

I do have friends in Rapid so if you want thier contact info- lmk. They rock but not sure if they school classically (I doubt it).

SD is a very easy state to homeschool in. Each spring our high school guidance counselor calls me personally to let me know that our tests are in! (Her dh is the Sup of schools).

We've never had any trouble and we are out during the day. It is very acceptable here to homeschool.

I wasn't aware of any laws re: parents needing a certain level of ed to homeshcool. Basically you just fill out the alternative instruction form each year by April. Last year I turned mine in WAAAY late- no problem.

But state-wide, what's the situation like, regarding homeschoolers? A friend and I were looking at the laws, and all I could think was, "Look in Texas! Or Idaho! Run!" (But the scenery is gorgeous - wow!!) How is the overall tone of the Sec'y of the Dept. of Ed, etc.? How active are the truancy officers? Do older kids run into trouble if their schedule doesn't mirror the public schools' schedules? Is there much awareness of homeschooling, in general, there? (Yeah, that last one is a little vague. I know.)

What's the status of hs'ers in 9-12? We couldn't quite make that out, from the laws. It states that the teacher must have a Bachelor's to teach high school, right? Are there any other details along those lines?

We got a chuckle out of the no more than 22 students caveat - makes you wonder what happened to make them put that in!

Thanks so much!

Dy

sorry- I hit post accidentally! Basically the area is still culturally Christian so people homeschool for reasons of independence rather than for social or educational reasons, that makes the climate a bit different than other places we've homeschooled. There is a HUGE co-op out in Rapid and we have TeenPact now, too. lmk if you have other questions or if you'd like some contacts in the West River area.

but have lived in California since 1980. My sister-in-law homeschools

and lives in Aberdeen. She has a friend in Sioux Falls that homeschools.

My other sister-in-law is from Canton and lives here in CA. My husband

and I both graduated from USD at Vermillion in 1977. I lived in Belle

Fourche in 4th grade and in Hot Springs when I was 4. My youngest

sister was born in Rapid City. South Dakota is friendly and I miss that.

I think I'm getting homesick.

Dy, are you thinking of moving there? I could ask my SIL about the

9-12 requirements. I also have a friend that moved to Rapid City

years ago that I could try to contact that homeschools.

Laurie in CA