Menu

does anybody here use calling cards to make long distance phone calls?

Our phone company wants to charge us .20 a minute for long distance phone calls and we don't want to pay monthly fees for a cell phone...plus we want a land line so we can have more than one person on at a time when we call family. So I am looking into calling cards...but don't really know where to begin. Any thoughts for me??

I use Viapin. I use it mostly to call overseas but I think it is still cheap for within the US. You have to dial an access code but can have your pin programmed in for your home phone so you don't have to enter it each time. Works well for us.

I have used calling cards in the past, maybe like ten years ago, from at&t and mci for domestic mostly from sam's club initially and then adding $,, and other random ones for international, usually bought at ethnic markets. Most of the intl cards are obnoxious bc if the call doesn't go through, a bunch of money is deducted, and it can be frustrating dialing all those numbers.

My advice is somewhat tangential because I use a cell phone for domestic calls and have a long distance plan on my home phone that I can also use as a dial around service on cell phones for 1c/min less. But I will tell you anyway.

I just switched a few months ago away from a small long distance company with much lower rates for my husband's home country because they had a monthly fee and were getting on my nerves! I switched to telna. It has proved to be extremely reliable for calling my in laws -- calls go through and sound good. They have no monthly fee and have 1 sec billing. My previous company moved to 1 min billing! Anyway I am quite pleased. You can set them up either as your long distance carrier or set up an acct only for dial around service (good for using with a cell phone with extra domestic minutes). http://www.telna.com/ Their domestic rates aren't super cheap. (I use a cell phone for these.) But 20c/min is outrageous!

I have nothing to gain personally by telling you this, I wouldn't get any financial compensation from them, so I hope this doesn't sound like an ad. I spent forever trying to lower my phone bill so I am sympathetic.

Edited by stripe

I've used http://www.ldpost.com/prepaid-long-distance/ in the past. It's legitimate, charges by the minute (~2cents/minute), doesn't expire, and has no connection fee. You buy "cards" (they email you the info) online for $20, 25, 30, ..., 95, $100 at a time. Also, you can "recharge" your account with more money so you don't lose the last few minutes on the "card." HTH!

I've used http://www.ldpost.com/prepaid-long-distance/ in the past. It's legitimate, charges by the minute (~2cents/minute), doesn't expire, and has no connection fee. You buy "cards" (they email you the info) online for $20, 25, 30, ..., 95, $100 at a time. Also, you can "recharge" your account with more money so you don't lose the last few minutes on the "card." HTH!

so exactly how does this work...I mean, when I go to make a phone call, what is the process???

You might want to look at Vonage, a VOIP service, to see what the rates are for the area you are calling into. We have free long distance and the international rates are good. It costs $25 a month and replaces you land line.

We have had it for many years and it is great. If you have more questions let me know.

Sorry for the delay in response :tongue_smilie:...

so exactly how does this work...I mean, when I go to make a phone call, what is the process???

For ldpost, they say:

How do I place calls?

1. Dial an access number. The Toll free number will be provided in you account confirmation e-mail. To find a local access number for you area click here. Use that link for a local access number for Peanuts Prepaid Service from any of the following countries: USA, Canada, Russia (Moscow, St.Petersburg), Ukraine(Kiev).

2. If you call from a number that is pre-approved for PIN-less dialing, you will hear your balance, however if calling from a different phone, you will need to enter your PIN.

3. For International calls dial 011 + Country code + City code + Phone Number + "#"; For calls within/to USA, Canada, the Caribbean dial 1 + Area code + Number + "#"

We are switching to using phone cards for long distance too. Our phone was costing up $20 a month for unlimited LD, but now that my dad has passed we really don't use enough LD to justify $20 IYKWIM. I can buy a phone card at the local .99 only store that is $1 for 100 minutes.

We use a company called One Suite. I prepay whatever amount and then we use those minutes. I found that I was using less than $10 per month for LD and that it would have cost me considerably more to make those same calls with my primary carrier.

I programmed the 800 number into the first spot in my quick dial memory and the access code into the second spot. So to make an LD call, all I do is hit memory 1, wait for the recording to start, then hit memory 2, and then make my call. MUCH easier than putting in all those numbers each time I need to make a call.

We have done this for at least 4 or 5 years now and have had no problems at all. HTH