Menu

2nd ed. of "Uncovering the Logic of English" book in July--anyone know what's new?

On the off chance that someone here has the inside scoop, does anyone know what will be new/different in the second edition of Uncovering the Logic of English by Denise Eide? I was checking it out on Amazon, thinking I might order the book, when I saw this:

http://www.amazon.com/Uncovering-Logic-English-Common-Sense-Approach/dp/1936706210/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1341435284&sr=1-2&keywords=uncovering+the+logic+of+english

Apparently, the second edition of the book comes out in about two weeks. Trying to decide if it's worth waiting a few weeks for the latest and greatest...

Christina

The cynic in me would imagine that the difference is mostly in pushing her curriculum (similar to how the 2nd ed. of WTM really pushed PHP curricula, thankfully softened in the 3rd edition :001_smile:).

You might have a point, Crimson Wife, though the post linked to below was quite interesting. Maybe her revelation about English being morpho phonemic (sp??) is why she did a new edition?

I bought the book about a month ago, but I'm tempted to get the next edition due to her response from this post

But I would have waited had I known. :glare:

That link was super helpful, crazyforlatin--thanks for posting it! I'll definitely wait the two weeks now!!

Christina

I bought the book about a month ago, but I'm tempted to get the next edition due to her response from this post

But I would have waited had I known. :glare:

:sad: I just got it, too. I'm not going to get "the program" because my son is too old, but I LOVE ULOE, and am nearly done outlining and learning it by heart. Maybe I'll try to get the library to get a 2nd edition copy. Bummer.

:sad: I just got it, too. I'm not going to get "the program" because my son is too old, but I LOVE ULOE, and am nearly done outlining and learning it by heart. Maybe I'll try to get the library to get a 2nd edition copy. Bummer.

I'm not getting the program either. I listed the reasons why the program is not streamlined enough for me in another thread. I said that I would cut out everything and it actually ended up being ULOE. :D I feel that ULOE is enough for me and DD. I combine it with HTTS, HTTS' workbook, sometimes, and I've been having DD memorize the rules in ULOE. I think I read your review about ABC's and All Their Tricks on amazon.com and bought it. The author refers to this book. Copying a list of spelling words is out of the question for DD, but having ULOE and ABC's, I can't see why I would need anything else, especially when DD does her spelling orally. But that's what I thought about AAS when I bought AAS 2, 5, and 6, but it turns out that instruction is slow, the words are easy enough that DD spells them correctly, with or without knowing any rules, and I've out-grown scripted text. I bought AAS when I first started homeschooling.

On a side note, the author makes a convincing case to study root words.

I said that I would cut out everything and it actually ended up being ULOE. :D I feel that ULOE is enough for me and DD.

I'm not sure how I would have felt when kiddo was 6 (he sure loved conquering all the SWR phonogram cards), but right now I wish I had just started with ULOE memorized in my head, a copy of The ABC and ATTs, and some word lists off the internet and just GONE for it.

Now I'm going to use Spelling Power and a memorization of ULOE. Finally! an author was a pair*!!

(* of shears ... cutting out everything superfluous)

MAN! I just bought this this month.... hopefully she'll put the information up on the LOE blog or something. In other news, we are rounding out the first week with LOE at home with a six year old and it's fantastic. We have the game cards (cursive and bookface) and in one week, he can now recognize all the cursive lowercase letters and first 26 phonograms. We love it.

MAN! I just bought this this month.... hopefully she'll put the information up on the LOE blog or something. In other news, we are rounding out the first week with LOE at home with a six year old and it's fantastic. We have the game cards (cursive and bookface) and in one week, he can now recognize all the cursive lowercase letters and first 26 phonograms. We love it.

That's a bummer! It sounds like a lot of people have just bought copies of ULOE, not knowing that the second edition is coming out. What a shame!

Thanks for sharing your experience with LOE and the games/cards. That is the part I am leaning toward getting since AAS is working great for us. I want the LOE games book and card decks...but more than $50 w/shipping for that set is SO much $$ to me!

Ds knows the AAS Level 1 phonograms (we start Level 2 in August), but I was thinking review couldn't hurt and the spelling games sound really fun. He loves the games in RightStart Math, and this strikes me as similar.

Sigh. For now, I'll keep drooling and dreaming...

Christina

The Games book- just an FYI since you are thinking about it...

Only one games calls for 3 decks. You can get buy with two, and just not play that one game.

The book is broken down into chapters-

card games

active games

'other games' (like bingo, tic tac toe)

drills

ideas for sensory practice

spelling word games

active spelling games

creative spelling practice ideas

other spelling game ideas

Then there are templates and game boards

I don't see any reason you couldn't make your own cards, but if you factor in time, and printer ink, it may be a wash. Rainbow resource has them to save on shipping (I think it's free for 50 bucks?)

The games look good, we have only played a few because I only have one book face and one cursive deck, and we needed to learn to recognize the cursive cards before we can really play most of the games, so all we do so far is play a matching game with both decks, and memory. Next week, we'll be ready for more I think.

We are LOVING LOE though, and I am super bummed about the book. I feel like such a groupie.... :leaving:

The Games book- just an FYI since you are thinking about it...

Only one games calls for 3 decks. You can get buy with two, and just not play that one game.

The book is broken down into chapters-

card games

active games

'other games' (like bingo, tic tac toe)

drills

ideas for sensory practice

spelling word games

active spelling games

creative spelling practice ideas

other spelling game ideas

Then there are templates and game boards

I don't see any reason you couldn't make your own cards, but if you factor in time, and printer ink, it may be a wash. Rainbow resource has them to save on shipping (I think it's free for 50 bucks?)

The games look good, we have only played a few because I only have one book face and one cursive deck, and we needed to learn to recognize the cursive cards before we can really play most of the games, so all we do so far is play a matching game with both decks, and memory. Next week, we'll be ready for more I think.

We are LOVING LOE though, and I am super bummed about the book. I feel like such a groupie.... :leaving:

This was really, really helpful, BugsMama. Thank you so much for the explanation of the games!

The LOE Web site doesn't have many samples, so I feel like I've been flying blind. Now I know that I really want to buy the games book! But I'll either just buy two decks of cards OR make them myself.

Thanks again!

Christina