Menu

Our daughter is having major surgery in the morning

We'd love prayers and good thoughts for her.

She's having a Nuss Bar placed in her chest to correct pectus excavatum (sunken chest). We're hoping this will help with the chest pains and breathing difficulties she's had over the years. She'll be in surgery 2 - 3 hours and inpatient until Monday or Tuesday. I'll be with her until Sunday then dh will stay with her.

Our older son had the same proceedure 3 years ago so we know and trust the surgeon. Unfortunately we also know how difficult the first week or two will be for her.

Edited by StillLearning

wow.. praying for your daughter. One of my son's has the same condition but we were recommended against the surgery. They did check his heart/lungs out to make sure they weren't being effected by it because it's very pronounced. DS was also against having it done - so he rarely pushed. I definitely got a lot of huffyness and rollyeye from him when I'd bring it up with the doctor and pushed to check it out.... but I was worried! I think he only has about 1-2" between his back and his breast bone.

wow.. praying for your daughter. One of my son's has the same condition but we were recommended against the surgery. They did check his heart/lungs out to make sure they weren't being effected by it because it's very pronounced. DS was also against having it done - so he rarely pushed. I definitely got a lot of huffyness and rollyeye from him when I'd bring it up with the doctor and pushed to check it out.... but I was worried! I think he only has about 1-2" between his back and his breast bone.

It's a big desicion for sure. We've been following dd's for several years now. The surgeon waited until dd was sure she wanted the surgery before we scheduled. He did the same with ds.

It's a big desicion for sure. We've been following dd's for several years now. The surgeon waited until dd was sure she wanted the surgery before we scheduled. He did the same with ds.

May I ask, was your son happy with the before/after results? Is there a noticeable difference.

My son is 19 and the only one in the family who has it. We've heard it's genetic but I have no knowledge of anyone else in the family who has it. Of course my mom thought it was the fact that I didn't feed him enough (picky eater). :rolleyes:

I have 2 friends whose sons had this surgery. I would HIGHLY recommend that you follow the doctor's orders to a Tee. One boy was very humble and let his mom help him shower, etc. One was unable to let his mom help him with that stuff. The first boy healed MUCH quicker. Also, don't be surprised if the surgery takes longer. I don't remember how long it took, but I believe it took longer than that.

I will pray for you and your family. The boys were both much better after their surgery.

May I ask, was your son happy with the before/after results? Is there a noticeable difference.

My son is 19 and the only one in the family who has it. We've heard it's genetic but I have no knowledge of anyone else in the family who has it. Of course my mom thought it was the fact that I didn't feed him enough (picky eater). :rolleyes:

HUGE difference. I'll check with ds and see if he'd mind me sharing the before and after photos. He is thrilled with the results.

For us it is passed down through my dad's side. His dad's was really deep, my dad's not so much, my cousin and I both have it, two of my children and one of my brother's girls. My ds and dd will be the only repairs so far - my niece's will probably need to be done when she is a teen. Mine was never repaired but should have been. I've always had problems from it.

Edited by StillLearning

UPDATE

She is out of surgery. Just short of three hours. We haven 't seen her yet but the surgeon said she did well and he is very pleased with how it looks.

She is in recovery and we are waiting to get a room number.

Thanks for the prayers! We have been at peace all morning :001_smile: