Menu

Anyone familiar with New Jersey? Are there beaches near Jamesburg (east of Princeton)

Dh has to go to Jamesburg, NJ, on business and we wondered if there are any beaches w/in 45 min-1 hour from there? If so, the kids and I might go with him and hit the beach so we can see the ocean.

I am trying to Google, and came up with Cliffwood Beach, which from reviews sounds like a dump. I see Point Pleasant Beach is 53 minutes-is that any good? That looks like it is on the actual ocean rather than the bay (which I have no idea how that bay is.)

Anything else I am missing? Thanks for any help!

Ok, after more research, it looks like Ocean Grove and Long Branch might be nice? (clean, family friendly, etc) Asbury Park and Belmar, not quite as good?

They all look like about 50 minutes from Jamesburg; anything closer or better?

Also, parking---do you have to pay? It looks like the beaches themselves are about $7 per person per day, correct?

Thanks!

Ok, after more research, it looks like Ocean Grove and Long Branch might be nice? (clean, family friendly, etc) Asbury Park and Belmar, not quite as good?

They all look like about 50 minutes from Jamesburg; anything closer or better?

Also, parking---do you have to pay? It looks like the beaches themselves are about $7 per person per day, correct?

Thanks!

I would say that Ocean Grove is your best bet. Yes, you have to pay to get on the beach:glare:, but you do not have to pay to park. (OG is $7 for adults, children 12 and under are free.) You *can* pay to park, but sometimes you get stuck parking far away even in the pay lot. You have a good chance of getting a relatively close spot on the road for free if you go during the week. I'm sorry, I don't know the parking price as I have issues with pay to park and never utilize it. lol

There is a lovely little main street with shops and bakeries and an absolutely fabulous ice cream shop called Nagele's. I highly recommend the cherry vanilla.;)

Avon is also nice and so are Point Pleasant and Manasquan. I will warn you though, the traffic in those particular shore towns is a nightmare on the weekends, during the week should be fine. J

Jenkinson's is in Point Pleasant and tends to be family friendly during the day. There is a lovely little aquarium on Jenkinson's, too. Here is a link in case you want to check it out.

Stay away from Seaside Heights and Asbury Park. :001_smile:

Hope this helps.

Edited by Elaine

I agree with the others about Ocean Grove. If you want to pay less Island Beach State Park is very nice. It is a little further but charges by the car not the person. One of our other favorites is Avon By the Sea. You do pay per person but it's a family type beach and you can bring coolers on the beach (some beaches don't allow that) so we don't have to buy food there.

Have fun!