Menu

National Society of High School Scholars? Is this legit?

Dd received some propaganda inviting her to join the National Society of High School Scholars for the low, low price of $60. Oh, and she was also invited to purchase various NSHSS items such as clothing or a stuffed lion. :001_huh:

Is this legit? Or is it one of those clubs that serves no purpose whatsoever but to take money?

DS also received an invite from the National Society of High School Scholars. I googled the organization and read comments (there is a thread on College Confidential) about them. We came to the conclusion that although it is not a scam, the organization offers no real benefits. We also read that several "less than stellar" students have been invited to join. Those statements were made by the students, themselves. Because of that, DS decided not to join and that it is not worth mentioning the invite on his transcript.

This is just our opinion. You may come to a different one.

DS also received an invite from the National Society of High School Scholars. I googled the organization and read comments (there is a thread on College Confidential) about them. We came to the conclusion that although it is not a scam, the organization offers no real benefits. We also read that several "less than stellar" students have been invited to join. Those statements were made by the students, themselves. Because of that, DS decided not to join and that it is not worth mentioning the invite on his transcript.

This is just our opinion. You may come to a different one.

That's my initial read as well, but thought I should check around and make sure.

Is it kind of like "Who's Who Among High School Students" from my generation? I was invited to join that, and it was an "honor" you could write on your college application, but mostly they turned around and tried to sell our parents a very expensive set of books so that they could see the tiny paragraph about their kid in one book of a multi-volume set. My parents declined, though later my mom happened to find the volume I was in for .25 at a thrift store, so I do have it down in my basement somewhere. :D

Is it kind of like "Who's Who Among High School Students" from my generation? I was invited to join that, and it was an "honor" you could write on your college application, but mostly they turned around and tried to sell our parents a very expensive set of books so that they could see the tiny paragraph about their kid in one book of a multi-volume set.

This is what I immediately thought of as well when I read the OP.

My boys had invites in their respective years. We tossed them. I see it as nothing more than seeking $$.

Me too! I might even go so far as to say, putting it on your college applications might make you look like a dupe since I suspect they know what it is too.