Menu

gazillions of those tiny flies Help!

Ok , maybe an exaggeration, but I have hundreds of tiny flies in my house, particularly my kitchen, that have appeared in the last week. I have cleaned the counters, sinks, trash can area and can't get them to go away. How do I kill or deter them? I don't have any fruit or foods out on the counters. Now they are starting to be in my cabinets. They are not moths, just tiny, tiny flies.

Help!!!

Or use a cone of paper to let the flies into your jar of vinegar (a half-inch is enough to lure the pests). I tape the edge where the paper meets the jar so no one can crawl out that way, either.

Don't keep bananas or fruit out on the counter - or wash it all when you bring it home. Keep trash cans clean and Lysoled (or bleached).

pour a little cooking oil down your drains in the sink. Likely they are fungus gnats not fruit flies and their larvae will be inthe sink drains. the adults only live a couple days so if you kill off the larvae you will find your kitchen gnat free in a few days. I pour it in at the end of the night so there is no chance of it being rinsed away and it can thoroughly coat them all.

Do you know anyone who hatched tadpoles this Spring and now has little tiny frogs? Fruit flies are perfect for them, and they're small enough that if you put an apple core in the frog tank, they can go through the vents in the lid to get in (and become frog food). I swear the baby leopard frogs that came from our tadpoles can eat their weight in insects daily!

If you're looking to get rid of some while trying to locate the source or for the vinegar to work, I usually connect the vacuum hose and run it along where they've landed or are flying together. Or, your kids might be interested in catching them mid-flight using one of those battery-powered electric fly swatters (yes, we've actually purchased several of these over the years). It's like a hand-held bug zapper, along with the satisfying "snap" when it gets one. :tongue_smilie:

Erica in OR