Menu

RV People: tag-along or motorized?

We're trying to decide. Here are the good things about tag-along:

1. Get to destination, have truck to drive about

2. Cost less initially

3. Costs less in maintenance, not being a vehicle itself.

Bad things about tag-along:

1. Kids are stuck in the truck cab however long we drive. Part of our wish for an RV is to go out west and many drives will be 10+ hour stretches.

2. Dh's truck is long-bed, extended cab and this will make our entire length very, very long.

3. I have almost no prayer of driving this myself.

OTOH, self-motorized RVs:

1. However long we drive, the kids can do many things in the back. They are not stuck in the cab.

2. I could probably drive it without having a stroke because we will not be so long.

BUT:

1. They are more expensive in initial cost

2. They are more expensive to own

3. Get to destination, don't have a smaller vehicle. This could be totally insane out west.

What are your thoughts and experiences with this?

We decided on a pull, and we are also planning a trip out west (one day:001_smile:). We also take many camping trips that are closer by. We like having a vehicle to drive around once we get somewhere. If you have a motor home, you have to unhook your electric, water, sewage, and roll your awning up before you can go anywhere.

We're trying to decide. Here are the good things about tag-along:

1. Get to destination, have truck to drive about

2. Cost less initially

3. Costs less in maintenance, not being a vehicle itself.

Bad things about tag-along:

1. Kids are stuck in the truck cab however long we drive. Part of our wish for an RV is to go out west and many drives will be 10+ hour stretches.

2. Dh's truck is long-bed, extended cab and this will make our entire length very, very long.

3. I have almost no prayer of driving this myself.

OTOH, self-motorized RVs:

1. However long we drive, the kids can do many things in the back. They are not stuck in the cab.

2. I could probably drive it without having a stroke because we will not be so long.

BUT:

1. They are more expensive in initial cost

2. They are more expensive to own

3. Get to destination, don't have a smaller vehicle. This could be totally insane out west.

What are your thoughts and experiences with this?

We had a trailer for nearly ten years. It is great to have a vehicle when you get to your destination, but it's a pain while you're driving it in more ways than one.

We just bought an RV in the fall and we absolutely love it. It's way more enjoyable to drive long distances in. I can make lunch while we're driving, the kids can use the washroom without stopping, they can sit at the table and play games together or move to other areas when they're getting on each other's nerves (we have seat belts at the table, three on the couch and one side chair in addition to the two seats up front).

It has also saved us money. When we drove with the trailer we would often stop and buy fast food. With the RV it's way easier just to make food.

I never drove the trailer at all, but I'm pretty comfortable driving our 34 foot RV.

Oh, and it's easier to just take it and go - there's no hooking up. It seemed like it was more of a process to take the trailer. But, with the RV it seems really easy just to pile the kids in and take off - even if it's just for a day trip. We drove the RV downtown for Canada day. We left early so we could get a parking spot near to where the events were taking place. When we arrived I made bacon and eggs and we had coffee. Then we went out and enjoyed the Canada day celebrations. We went back to the RV for lunch and a bit of an afternoon rest and then went back out for some more fun. We never would have done that with the trailer.

We are planning a trip next summer, and we've decided on a travel trailer. I think we are probably going to go with one from Salem's Rockwood line. http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/lite_travel_trailers.asp. We spent half a day recently going through every travel trailer on a dealer's lot. :)

Have you actually gone to look at them? That might help you decide.

We had a 5th Wheel and it worked out really well for us. We drove long distances out west too and several trips from TN to OR. The dc just learned to bring things in the truck to keep occupied (cards, coloring books, music, travel games, small toys), and we had a portable dvd system that was very helpful.

It was nice to be able to get where we were going, drop the 5th Wheel, and head off to sight see in the truck. Then when we were all done we'd head back to the campsite and have our little home all set up and waiting for us...and be already cool in the summer, and warm in the winter.

The other disadvantage to having a class A, B or C motorhome, other than not having a separate vehicle to drive, or having to haul one behind, is that if it breaks down and has to go in for repairs you are not only without your transportation, but you are also without your house.

My dad has both - a pull behind trailer and a motor home. He bought a special trailer and a small car to pull behind the motor home. The trailer has more space, and we love being able to throw bikes and junk in the back of the truck. However, my dad says that the motor home is easier to drive on the highway even pulling the car behind.

It has also saved us money. When we drove with the trailer we would often stop and buy fast food. With the RV it's way easier just to make food.

It would be easier to make food while your traveling, but we always just pulled off at a park or rest area and I would go back to the 5th wheel and whip up some sandwiches. Just saying that fast food isn't an absolute just because you have a tow behind.

My parents spend 8 months a year traveling in their RV, and they pull a ford focus behind it. There's definitely a WIDE variety in how many seatbelts an RV has though (they only one, besides the driver seat) so that'd be something to check in on.

Have fun, whatever you decide!

It would be easier to make food while your traveling, but we always just pulled off at a park or rest area and I would go back to the 5th wheel and whip up some sandwiches. Just saying that fast food isn't an absolute just because you have a tow behind.

so true!

we have a fifth wheel and we do that. We just pull over and fix our food and use the bathroom. We love taking our vacations in it. I honestly wouldn't feel safe riding in an RV and walking, sleeping around. I know people do it, but I feel safest buckled in. You never know what can happen - accidents happen all the time.

No, not an absolute. Often I'd pack a cooler before we left with the trailer so we'd have food on the go. I did go back and make food a few times when we had pulled over, but it was a lot more inconvenient. Over the ten years we had trailers we did a lot of eating out - especially if I hadn't thought ahead and planned and pre-made our lunches.

We have had a few short trips, one week-long trip and one two-week trip in the RV so far and making food has been convenient and enjoyable. I like the fact that I'm still in the same area as the rest of the family when I'm making food and cleaning up. I like the fact that the kids can eat at a table and that if I forget something or if they're looking for a snack it's all right there. We've had some really long driving days - we drove for 12 hours on our way home and only pulled over for gas - and it was so nice to be able to make breakfast, lunch, and dinner on the go. It really has been a world of difference just with the food (not to mention the driving comfort and roominess, the ease of getting in and taking off, and how much easier it is to drive it).

I really didn't want an RV. I tried to persuade dh not to buy one. However, now that we have it I'll never go back to a trailer.

The one drawback is transportation once you're at your destination. We find it pretty easy to put the slides back in and unplug. We only have sewer hooked up at the end of our trip when we empty the tanks so we don't have to undo the sewer when we go for a drive. It takes me about five minutes to do the automatic jacks and press the button to bring the slide in. It takes dh a couple of minutes to unplug the electricity and put the awning in (if we've even needed the awning to begin with).

If we're in a city we just park near public transportation. In Vancouver we were five minutes away from a sky train station so the kids and I used that (I even hate driving a car downtown Vancouver so even in a hotel I would have used the sky train rather than a vehicle). In Salt Lake City we had the Mormon shuttle :) We did just purchase an electric scooter so that if we have to get groceries or do a small purchase then one of us can whip out and do that.

Oh! I forgot one of the best things! Making dinner :) There were a number of times when we'd be driving close to dinner time so I would time it so that dinner would be ready when we pulled in. I could stick a frozen lasagna or a roast into the oven and drive while it cooked. Then, when we got to our site we would be ready to eat. It sure beat arriving at camp with hungry kids and then having to *start* dinner while setting everything up.

rv_and_truck.jpg

This is our rig. We have a 38 1/2 foot fifth wheel and a crew cab truck with a long bed. (In the photo, it doesn't look that long, but it's a full 96". I've learned to drive it; I just can't back it up. It took me some psychological effort to do it, because it's big and scary, but once I got there, it's not difficult to drive. (I'm short, by-the-way, only 5'2". Just so you don't think I'm a big tough, biker chick kind of gal.)

Really, it's not much harder than driving the truck alone, so if you are comfortable driving your DH's truck, you can do it. The truck mirrors extend out so you can keep an eye on positioning and fish-tailing. Passing and being passed by big rigs is nerve-wracking, but for some reason, most folks in smaller vehicles seem inclined to give you LOTS of room! ;) Frankly, driving the truck and rig is easier than parking the truck by itself. Try as I might, I just can't get that beast into a standard stall the way DH does. I have to park at the far end of the lot and pull through two stalls.

We did a lot of research. One thing you haven't discussed in your pros/cons is safety. We have a child young enough to still require a car seat. We learned that the only seat you are supposed to put a car seat in in a coach is the couch seat, because the others don't go through to the metal frame in many RVs. They just go through the wooden floor. Problem with the couch is, that is sideways and there is no car seat on the market that has been tested for riding sideways. Also, boosters can't usually be used, because none of the belts are shoulder belts. We had a really hard time getting a clear answer on safety statistics for young children in a coach, and chose a truck/fifth wheel for that reason.

However, if we had older children and wanted to travel with pets, we'd probably want a coach, as we wouldn't really want our pets running around in the trailer with our family in the truck not keeping an eye on them.

We decided on a pull, and we are also planning a trip out west (one day:001_smile:). We also take many camping trips that are closer by. We like having a vehicle to drive around once we get somewhere. If you have a motor home, you have to unhook your electric, water, sewage, and roll your awning up before you can go anywhere.

Yeah, that does seem like a strong benefit for the pull-behind.

We had a trailer for nearly ten years. It is great to have a vehicle when you get to your destination, but it's a pain while you're driving it in more ways than one.

We just bought an RV in the fall and we absolutely love it. It's way more enjoyable to drive long distances in. I can make lunch while we're driving, the kids can use the washroom without stopping, they can sit at the table and play games together or move to other areas when they're getting on each other's nerves (we have seat belts at the table, three on the couch and one side chair in addition to the two seats up front).

I never drove the trailer at all, but I'm pretty comfortable driving our 34 foot RV.

Oh, and it's easier to just take it and go - there's no hooking up. It seemed like it was more of a process to take the trailer. But, with the RV it seems really easy just to pile the kids in and take off - even if it's just for a day trip. We drove the RV downtown for Canada day. We left early so we could get a parking spot near to where the events were taking place. When we arrived I made bacon and eggs and we had coffee. Then we went out and enjoyed the Canada day celebrations. We went back to the RV for lunch and a bit of an afternoon rest and then went back out for some more fun. We never would have done that with the trailer.

And then those do sound like very good arguments in favor of the motorized RV.

We are planning a trip next summer, and we've decided on a travel trailer. I think we are probably going to go with one from Salem's Rockwood line. http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/lite_travel_trailers.asp. We spent half a day recently going through every travel trailer on a dealer's lot. :)

Have you actually gone to look at them? That might help you decide.

Those are soooo nice! We have not actually looked at them in person yet. Only compared photos on-line. I have been nagging him to go in person, but we haven't yet.

The other disadvantage to having a class A, B or C motorhome, other than not having a separate vehicle to drive, or having to haul one behind, is that if it breaks down and has to go in for repairs you are not only without your transportation, but you are also without your house.

This is a really good point that I had not considered.

I can see us doing that without it really being a big deal. We have already done quirky bring-our-own food things at Disney and Hershey Park. I am confident that this would not be a big problem for us because we are used to eating out of a cooler when necessary, to avoid buying fast food. Although I am sure it is very nice in a motorhome to just be able to go back and retrieve the food you desire.

Oh! I forgot one of the best things! Making dinner :) There were a number of times when we'd be driving close to dinner time so I would time it so that dinner would be ready when we pulled in. I could stick a frozen lasagna or a roast into the oven and drive while it cooked. Then, when we got to our site we would be ready to eat. It sure beat arriving at camp with hungry kids and then having to *start* dinner while setting everything up.

That would be handy, I concede it.

rv_and_truck.jpg

This is our rig. We have a 38 1/2 foot fifth wheel and a crew cab truck with a long bed. (In the photo, it doesn't look that long, but it's a full 96". I've learned to drive it; I just can't back it up. It took me some psychological effort to do it, because it's big and scary, but once I got there, it's not difficult to drive. (I'm short, by-the-way, only 5'2". Just so you don't think I'm a big tough, biker chick kind of gal.)

Really, it's not much harder than driving the truck alone, so if you are comfortable driving your DH's truck, you can do it. The truck mirrors extend out so you can keep an eye on positioning and fish-tailing. Passing and being passed by big rigs is nerve-wracking, but for some reason, most folks in smaller vehicles seem inclined to give you LOTS of room! ;) Frankly, driving the truck and rig is easier than parking the truck by itself. Try as I might, I just can't get that beast into a standard stall the way DH does. I have to park at the far end of the lot and pull through two stalls.

We did a lot of research. One thing you haven't discussed in your pros/cons is safety. We have a child young enough to still require a car seat. We learned that the only seat you are supposed to put a car seat in in a coach is the couch seat, because the others don't go through to the metal frame in many RVs. They just go through the wooden floor. Problem with the couch is, that is sideways and there is no car seat on the market that has been tested for riding sideways. Also, boosters can't usually be used, because none of the belts are shoulder belts. We had a really hard time getting a clear answer on safety statistics for young children in a coach, and chose a truck/fifth wheel for that reason.

However, if we had older children and wanted to travel with pets, we'd probably want a coach, as we wouldn't really want our pets running around in the trailer with our family in the truck not keeping an eye on them.

Wow! Yes, that is pretty much how we would look in our set-up. I am also considering the possibility that we could get a pull-behind that is light enough to pull behind our Escalade. I have driven dh's truck, but it makes me very nervous. I'm totally comfortable with the suv, though, so if the trailer is light enough to be pulled by the suv, the drive would be fairly comfortable, though not as comfortable as a motorhome would be.

Thanks for the info on safety belts and seats. We are beyond car-seat stage, though...you never know. I'm still open for a re-run of car-seat world. ;) That is one reason I would want something that the Escalade can pull - it seats 7 and...well, just in case we need another seat...

We've been looking at them to live in while dh is working contract jobs. One big thing to us is that toy haulers are ideal for having a bedroom for our dd. The motorhomes were all designed for 2 old people to travel in. I am guessing we are going to be purchasing one in the next 2 months. We have done a lot of looking.

We've been looking at them to live in while dh is working contract jobs. One big thing to us is that toy haulers are ideal for having a bedroom for our dd. The motorhomes were all designed for 2 old people to travel in. I am guessing we are going to be purchasing one in the next 2 months. We have done a lot of looking.

Most RV's are not well set up for families. We looked long and hard before finding ours. The bedroom in the back had twin beds so we took it to a carpenter and had bunks installed over the beds. Now we have a bedroom with quad bunks. Dh and I sleep on the couch as it folds out pretty easily. The table also folds out to a double bed if needed.