Menu

Phoenix/Grand Canyon 20th Anniversary Help Please

DH and I are celebrating our 20th anniversary in August. We had always hoped to spend it in Europe (he's never been), but we just can't swing it financially. So, we are looking at Phoenix/Grand Canyon/Bryce Canyon/Zion in Utah with the whole family.

I have found some flights that are doable, which has my head spinning with excitement that this might actually happen.

I am in need of some insider tips. (Hotel suggestions/locations--clean, but CHEAP, sites (see below and make other recs), car rental vs camper (hubby thinks we could do this more cheaply with a camper and we have NO experience whatsoever with camping, so this makes me nervous).

Travel would be in early October. 7 days (because that's when flights are cheapest)

We're interested in:

Sedona

Grand Canyon

Bryce Canyon, Utah

Zion National Park, Utah

other sites that are MUST SEES/EXPERIENCE

This dreamer wife would be so grateful for any input to help make this as cost-effective as possible without sacrificing cleanliness/safety.

Thank you, in advance, for any suggestions.

There is "Cruise America" who rent RV's and probably many others. Don't remember their rates.

Sedona is great, take one of the Jeep tours if they are still offered in October. They take you into the mountains / red cliffs around Sedona.

Plan on more than one day at the Grand Canyon. Cannot recommend a nearby hotel except Flagstaff is fairly close. We came from there but only had an afternoon and I am still upset about it. You need at least one full day to see the sun move across the cliffs and watch the shapes change.

In Flagstaff is Mars Hill and their famous Lowell observatory. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lowell_Observatory

In Flagstaff, you also find "Reardon House" which has been made into a museum. It was the residence of the two founding brothers of Flagstaff.

October is a beautiful time to be out here! With so many things to see, I don't personally think you need to spend more than a day at the Grand Canyon. Maybe that's just because I live so close and can go anytime. There is a lovely inn called The Cameron Trading post about 30 min. outside the south entrance. We've also enjoyed staying at The Jacob Lake Inn outside the North entrance. If you do two day, I would try to hit both sides.

Earlier this year we stayed in lovely hotel in Oakcreek Canyon (in between Flagstaff and Sedona) called Junipine. It's the type with a kitchen you can cook in. Sedona is beautiful. There are lots of great hiking trails. Not much to do in the town itself (unless your're really into crystals and the vortex.). Thee is a really neat Catholic Church up on a hill that's worth seeing. Church of the Holy Cross, maybe? Our favorite hike is the Westfork Trail in Oak Creek Canyon.

There is so.much.to.do around Flagstaff. (I got stuck there for four days last summer.) Lowell Hill Observatory, of course. Walnut Canyon is nearby with really cool native American ruins. Sunset crater (a volcano with more ruins) isn't too far. We just saw the Meteor Crater this spring, really spectacular.

I've only camped at Bryce and Zion, so I can't help you out there. I know there are plenty of places to stay outside those parks. Itay be cold at Bryce that time of year, I don't know that I'd want to camp. We did Zion in October one year, though, and it was fine.

Sounds like a fun trip! I can tell you are excited about it. :)

I lived in Phoenix for 7 years. It's so beautiful, especially in the fall! You'll love it. One note - the city of Phoenix is pretty far from the Grand Canyon.. I think it's 6 or 7 hours. It sounds like you really want to do the 'outdoorsy' stuff like Bryce and Zion. They're gorgeous! The only thing I'd be sure to check is the weather.. I remember it getting really cold at night at that time of year even though it's nice during the day, meaning a camper might be better than a tent. Have fun!

October is a beautiful time to be out here! With so many things to see, I don't personally think you need to spend more than a day at the Grand Canyon. Maybe that's just because I live so close and can go anytime. There is a lovely inn called The Cameron Trading post about 30 min. outside the south entrance. We've also enjoyed staying at The Jacob Lake Inn outside the North entrance. If you do two day, I would try to hit both sides.

Earlier this year we stayed in lovely hotel in Oakcreek Canyon (in between Flagstaff and Sedona) called Junipine. It's the type with a kitchen you can cook in. Sedona is beautiful. There are lots of great hiking trails. Not much to do in the town itself (unless your're really into crystals and the vortex.). Thee is a really neat Catholic Church up on a hill that's worth seeing. Church of the Holy Cross, maybe? Our favorite hike is the Westfork Trail in Oak Creek Canyon.

There is so.much.to.do around Flagstaff. (I got stuck there for four days last summer.) Lowell Hill Observatory, of course. Walnut Canyon is nearby with really cool native American ruins. Sunset crater (a volcano with more ruins) isn't too far. We just saw the Meteor Crater this spring, really spectacular.

I've only camped at Bryce and Zion, so I can't help you out there. I know there are plenty of places to stay outside those parks. Itay be cold at Bryce that time of year, I don't know that I'd want to camp. We did Zion in October one year, though, and it was fine.

Sounds like a fun trip! I can tell you are excited about it. :)

Thank you, Sara in AZ! Very much appreciate that you took the time to respond so thoughtfully. I'm got more to google now!

I lived in Phoenix for 7 years. It's so beautiful, especially in the fall! You'll love it. One note - the city of Phoenix is pretty far from the Grand Canyon.. I think it's 6 or 7 hours. It sounds like you really want to do the 'outdoorsy' stuff like Bryce and Zion. They're gorgeous! The only thing I'd be sure to check is the weather.. I remember it getting really cold at night at that time of year even though it's nice during the day, meaning a camper might be better than a tent. Have fun!

Thank you for the tip on the distance. We are aware. I'm leaning more to a rental car and hotels, the hubby is curious about the RV thing. I appreciate the weather input!

Thank you for the tip on the distance. We are aware. I'm leaning more to a rental car and hotels, the hubby is curious about the RV thing. I appreciate the weather input!

I priced it out a few years ago and renting a camper was expensive! Like, give me room service, margaritas and a hot tub and that would be cheaper type expensive. No way was I into doing all the work I do at home and yet pay more for my 'vacation' :glare: Seriously, I was shocked. Adding gas costs and the aggravation of going no more than 55mph. Forget it--I'm with you on this one. And the camping thing was originally my idea.

Phoenix and Grand Canyon temps are going to be vastly different in the fall. GC will be quite cool and definitely bring sweaters and coats, warm clothes, depending on your level of cool tolerance. It is beautiful there in the fall and winter. Phoenix is the opposite, until late late October. I've had my AC still on in mid-October.

Growing up, we stayed in Williams in the past and taken the train to the GC, which we loved very much. On the last trip with my now ex we stayed in the village of Tusayan...though I don't know what the prices were. The Painted Desert and the Petrified Forest are also in the general area and are great places to visit.

Distances are important to take into account. It is four hours to the Canyon from Phoenix, you can stop at Montazumma's Castle on the way up or down. We've done that several times and it is just about the right length for a longish trip.

It's an equally long trip around the canyon to the north rim.

I'd suggest planning to do the Grand Canyon and south including Phoenix. Phoenix is well worth a week long trip all on it's own, but you can certainly do both the Canyon and south to Phoenix and have a fabulous trip.

I priced it out a few years ago and renting a camper was expensive! Like, give me room service, margaritas and a hot tub and that would be cheaper type expensive. No way was I into doing all the work I do at home and yet pay more for my 'vacation' :glare: Seriously, I was shocked. Adding gas costs and the aggravation of going no more than 55mph. Forget it--I'm with you on this one. And the camping thing was originally my idea.

The only caveat is that at the Grand Canyon there are no expensive rooms. The nicest rooms in the old lodges often have to share baths and are tiny. So an RV might actually be the four star lodgings on the rim.

Have you thought about the North rim? It's farther, but less crowded and you can rent whole cabin for what a room might cost in the south:

http://grandcanyonforever.com/lodging/

Also, have you looked into the Canyon Railway packages?a

They also have River Rafting packages that are amazing. My oldest went with her grandparents, uncles, and cousins back when she was 8 and it was formative experience that she talks about to this day: http://www.outdoorsunlimited.com/

Edited by Barb F. PA in AZ