Menu

Xpost...Grammar for kids who just don't get it

I posted this in the K-8 forum but thought I might get some suggestions her too.

My ds11 is a very concrete kid. He just doesn't get even the idea of grammar terms. It is too abstract for him. He was/is my struggling reader, and math and memorizing has always been stronger for him. We are using Winston Grammar Basic which is just too much for him. I've thought about just waiting until his older to introduce grammar. I really wish there was a good remedial grammar curriculum out there. Something that is hands on and would help him to get such abstract terms. Any ideas?

Hands on English with Linking Blocks is excellent for a kinetic learner. It uses blocks and color to cement concepts (think Math-U-See for Grammar). It is a bit pricey, but worth it. We also used the book ( I can't remember the exact title) Sentence Families . It told stories to illustrate the various parts of speech with each character using color and physical characteristics to explain their function. Now we use Growing with Grammar and he still uses the colors to parse sentences.