Menu

Read an article about a mom with six (young) kids doing everything by bike (no car)..

Cool! I remember one family vacation when I was younger (maybe 6?) to the Netherlands, I think. My grandparents were visiting from the US, and we rented a Surrey bike. It was so much fun. Also included a sunshade! Here's an example:

http://www.surreycompany.com/family.htm

I dream of getting one someday. Too bad dh hasn't tried one out himself; I think he'd be more excited about getting one if he had. :D

I am always the one who thinks of reasons things can't be done. I make excuses. I think of the obstacles. I declare things 'impossible' when they really aren't. My husband thinks 'how hard can it be?' I think 'well, let me tell you about all the complicated details you aren't thinking about...' Or someone says, 'Wouldn't this be fun?' And I picture the reality. :tongue_smilie:

With six kids and no car, this mom does it all by bike.

I wish I could think outside the box. I wish my personality naturally liked doing difficult, interesting things. I'd love to be outrageous. :D

That is inspiring. I'm sorry to say, I think a lot like you do. :tongue_smilie: I think this makes me a practical realist, but maybe it just makes me Debbie Downer, as dh likes to call me.

I have considered before whether it could be possible for me to bike more often and I could only come up with "no way." The road I live off of is frightening just to go get the mail. :glare: For serious. I have pondered before if I could bike to get some groceries. Then, I look at Rt 97 and say, "No frickin way!"

we'd get run over riding bikes around here. No sidewalks or bike lanes.

I can't even imagine doing that, 18 wheelers whizzing past as you go under the wheel...

I shudder.

Even with bike lanes in this city people are nuts and are horrible to bicylists (although there are plenty of bad bicyclists just like bad drivers). I can't imagine grocery shopping and biking the kids to their daycares when I work....and then biking home. Not practical.

We have a lady that has a similar bike in our area except she only has four kids. She straps them all in the front of the carriage thing and takes off.

My kids are highly jealous they always beg me to get a bike like that too and ride them around in it.:lol:

As far as why the kids aren't biking on their own, the 11-yr-old does and the 9-yr-old is usually pedalling the attached bike, which is a help rather than a hindrance. The other kids are only 7, 5, 4, and 2, all quite young for both speed and safety purposes. Remember, she is not just riding for fun in their neighborhood, but going all over creation running errands and living their daily lives.

If anyone only read the article, it is worth going on to the comments - she answers a few questions and makes some hilarious comments to the snarky.