Menu

Read an article about a mom with six (young) kids doing everything by bike (no car)..

I am always the one who thinks of reasons things can't be done. I make excuses. I think of the obstacles. I declare things 'impossible' when they really aren't. My husband thinks 'how hard can it be?' I think 'well, let me tell you about all the complicated details you aren't thinking about...' Or someone says, 'Wouldn't this be fun?' And I picture the reality. :tongue_smilie:

With six kids and no car, this mom does it all by bike.

I wish I could think outside the box. I wish my personality naturally liked doing difficult, interesting things. I'd love to be outrageous. :D

I'll have to read the article.

I admit my one thought was, "Why isn't she making those kids bike."

:)

Perhaps I'm just lazy, (and only have two to watch, and one is really great about looking out for cars and what-not) but I think if I'm going to wear myself out getting around you better be doing the same.

Thanks for the link Heidi.

Perhaps I'm just lazy, (and only have two to watch, and one is really great about looking out for cars and what-not) but I think if I'm going to wear myself out getting around you better be doing the same.

I agree that it would be nice if all the kids were 'pulling their weight,' but it would freak me out having that many young kids riding their own bikes in a metro area!! (With me as the only supervising adult, that is.) The oldest rides his own bike, and it sounds like she rotates a couple kids to helping out pedaling on the rear end of the bike.

I love it and it fits right in with my personality. I have had a Burley Bike trailer for years and I used to haul my 2 girls around in it when we lived in a smaller city. Where I live now, it is not as user friendly but I only have 1 small one really anymore. On my blog I posted about a new item Burley has come out with for going to the grocery store.

edited: Once I loaded up all my kids and rode through Amish country 12 miles round trip. Sounds OK but what I didn't realize is there are HUGE hills in Amish Country, Ohio and it was already a 90 degree day. It was insane but and wonderful memory.

Wow! I have to be honest. I cannot imagine doing that. :lol

Like you, Heidi, I WANT to imagine myself doing something like that...but I can't. :lol:

Me either. My sun-activated autoimmune issues would kill. Do they make bikes with shades?:tongue_smilie:

we'd get run over riding bikes around here. No sidewalks or bike lanes.

I can't even imagine doing that, 18 wheelers whizzing past as you go under the wheel...

I shudder.

Our area is terrible for biking too. I can't even let my 15-year-old to go too many places because the roads are too busy and narrow.

we'd get run over riding bikes around here. No sidewalks or bike lanes.

I can't even imagine doing that, 18 wheelers whizzing past as you go under the wheel...

I shudder.

Here too.

I would need a tricycle. I keep trying to figure out how she keeps it all upright while getting off and on. I saw the kick stand on the front trailer but how do you get off your seat, hold all that upright long enough to put it down?

Kudos to her! I'm not in a bike friendly area either, we live rurally 15 miles from the north edge of town and 20-25 min to other things without any bicycle lanes but the kids love it when we do go biking for fun. I just have a tiny trailer that holds 2 though. She must have legs of steel.

Happens all the time in our county. Some families don't even have (aren't permitted to have) bicycles, but rather the family all has stand up and push with your foot scooters.

Why can't they have a bike?

Nor can I!

I guess if I moved closer to the city. Here we are 15 miles from just about everything we do and drive about 30-80 miles per day for all our HS stuff.

We also aren't bike friendly here.....the roads are narrow and curvy and those big cars can't see you until they are right up on you. We have had several adult bikers killed in recent years.

Dawn

Wow! I have to be honest. I cannot imagine doing that. :lol

Like you, Heidi, I WANT to imagine myself doing something like that...but I can't. :lol:

Why can't they have a bike?

Because they can't use inflatable tires ("ride on air.") Some get bicycles without them, but most just don't have a bike. (Dh is from Amish country.)

From immigrant friends, I understand that it's common in some European countries for women to bike around with their dc and groceries and such. That's not the way our area is set up (we live in car country here :lol:,) though I bet Portland has a better system for bicycles.

I'm assuming she's talking about the Amish.

Really? We have both Amish and Mennonites around here. They both ride bikes but I do know that rules for the Amish do vary by where they are located. Those I see are in the TN/KY border area.

I had to check out that style of bike. Now I have bike envy.

The bakfiets trike comes with a carseat attachment, a rain fly, a boot and bench seats.

Sweet.

Here's a link: http://bakfiets.nl/eng/accessoires/cargotrike/small/black+trike+tent/#0

Here is some more bike evny.

This is the one I want. Sadly not available in Canada. (I would want to test drive before buying).

The Madsen Cycle

http://www.madsencycles.com/

It comes with all sorts of accessories including a head lights, front basket, rain cover, built in seat belts, locking system....

That's what I was thinking, too! We bike a lot in my non-pregnant years. I taught my kids early on proper safety on the road. My 3rd was on a trialing bike, but the others rode their own. I also don't understand how she did it with small babies or pregnant. All the bike forums warn against that. Still very impressive. I would not want to give up my car for most trips, especially the grocery store!

We used to have one of these (minus the lid) that I used for hauling the kids around when DD1 was little. Then for a while we did a bike/trail-a-bike/trailer chain until DS figured out how to ride on his own.

Now we live in a place that isn't quite as conducive to biking. I still bike commute, weather cooperating, but getting 5 miles to town on either dirt roads or the highway (which is actually a major cross-country bike route) is a bit much with kids.

I had to check out that style of bike. Now I have bike envy.

The bakfiets trike comes with a carseat attachment, a rain fly, a boot and bench seats.

Sweet.

Here's a link: http://bakfiets.nl/eng/accessoires/cargotrike/small/black+trike+tent/#0

I wonder how that works with the carseat attachment. Maybe better in other countries where babies wouldn't have to wear a bike helmet...

That's what I was thinking, too! We bike a lot in my non-pregnant years. I taught my kids early on proper safety on the road. My 3rd was on a trialing bike, but the others rode their own. I also don't understand how she did it with small babies or pregnant. All the bike forums warn against that. Still very impressive. I would not want to give up my car for most trips, especially the grocery store!

Yes, I was wondering how she biked with babies, too!

Here is some more bike evny.

This is the one I want. Sadly not available in Canada. (I would want to test drive before buying).

The Madsen Cycle

http://www.madsencycles.com/

It comes with all sorts of accessories including a head lights, front basket, rain cover, built in seat belts, locking system....

Okay, now I have to have one of these. The pink bike with the basket is so me. I have tried to tuck my dog into the Burley but he wasn't having any of it -an open bucket might be doable for him.

They have a dealership in Columbus, OH. We are planning a trip to Columbus in Aug. I think/hope I can convince DH to make a stop just so I can test ride.

I would not want to give up my car for most trips, especially the grocery store!

I prefer biking for grocery trips, at least compared to walking. :)

I do wish the grocery store wasn't at the bottom of a hill, and our house at the top. :glare:

Okay, now I have to have one of these. The pink bike with the basket is so me. I have tried to tuck my dog into the Burley but he wasn't having any of it -an open bucket might be doable for him.

They have a dealership in Columbus, OH. We are planning a trip to Columbus in Aug. I think/hope I can convince DH to make a stop just so I can test ride.

I don't like you anymore. :glare:

I want to test drive one. And that pink one is MINE, MINE, MINE!

:lol:

This video tells how Holland purposely changed things to accommodate bicyclists. It is interesting, although I don't see it happening here in the states. I wish it would.

I would be way more comfortable biking if we had that infrastructure. I hate that you're not allowed to bike on the sidewalk when your choice is that or a major street. I get the reasons, it just makes it difficult. Even the few bike lanes around here freak me out, because they are thin little strips right next to the major traffic barely distinguishable from the main road.

I am just way too paranoid for that sort of thing. :tongue_smilie:

I've only got two boys, and I take them to the grocery store by bicycle at times. I've got one of those rear trailer doodads, but that won't work when they're older. Moreover, my favorite grocery stores aren't within biking distance, so it's only the regular supermarket or Wally World if we're biking... and of course in Arizona that's only Spring/Fall/Winter... or really only Winter if we're being honest. Still, I could see myself doing it. I wouldn't do it to the exclusion of owning a vehicle that can carry my children. I think we travel too much for that. What does she do if they ever want/need to go somewhere?