Menu

Peri menopause symptoms at what age?

I was 35 (family history of early menopause). Unfortunately, I am very limited in options for coping. My mom had estrogen receptor positive breast cancer, so anything estrogen or soy based is out for me. There are lots of different options available, though, ranging from medication to special sheets for your bed to pajamas made with "wicking" material to herbs. You will go crazy with the research!

What is considered "young" to have perimenopause start?

I'm 38 and the last few weeks I've been having sudden hot flashes. I'll be going about life just fine and then suddenly WHAM! I feel like my upper body has been doused in a heat wave. And I had lost some weight, but it was way harder than ever and I seem to gain for no reason at all, even when trying to lose it. Also, I swear my vision has suddenly declined.

No night sweats, but I seem to never sleep. I've always been a light sleeper and I haven't slept through the night in decades, but now? I just hardly sleep at all. And my coffee/sugar consumption is pretty low.

Dr just shrugged and said, "well you're 38."

I do have gallstones, but not that bad.

I'm still breastfeeding. And so far this is the longest ive ever gone without a cycle. Previously no matter how much I breastfed exclussively, my cycle came back between 3 and 6 mos pp.

I'm not really worried about it.

More concerned about how to know what is normal to live with and what I should worry about. Did that make sense?

I feel like mine started after my 4th child at 38, AND while I was still breastfeeding - my doctor put me on premarin and it worked for a little bit and then got way worse. I took myself off of it, and I bought the book What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Premenopause. It was a lifesaver. I found a doctor who does not treat with synthetic hormones and started me on a natural progesterone cream. Huge difference. Then I got pregnant again at 41 and was shocked to say the least. I did fairly well without the progesterone cream until this past year and she started me back on it again. I highly recommend the book.

HTH,

Penny

Mine started about 44 - 4 years after having dd8. I pretty much skipped perimenopause and went straight to menopause after a very short time. I have terrible hot flashes - the worst thing for me is the feeling of anxiety/irritation that immediately precedes them. I haven't really taken anything so far, I have a friend at work who tries all the natural remedies. A few times she's said "Hey I think this is working" and on one occaision I actually bought the supplement she was trying. But then a few weeks later she'll say "No, I guess it doesn't work". It seems like there is just a cycle to the flashes, sometimes they're worse and sometimes they're better.

On a more positive note, I do think that overall things have improved at least a bit, or else I'm just getting better at handling them. I guess I'll survive, although sometimes I doubt it. If it is perimenopause, hang in there, and know that some of us know how you're feeling.

What is considered "young" to have perimenopause start?

I'm 38 and the last few weeks I've been having sudden hot flashes. I'll be going about life just fine and then suddenly WHAM! I feel like my upper body has been doused in a heat wave. And I had lost some weight, but it was way harder than ever and I seem to gain for no reason at all, even when trying to lose it. Also, I swear my vision has suddenly declined.

No night sweats, but I seem to never sleep. I've always been a light sleeper and I haven't slept through the night in decades, but now? I just hardly sleep at all. And my coffee/sugar consumption is pretty low.

Dr just shrugged and said, "well you're 38."

I do have gallstones, but not that bad.

I'm still breastfeeding. And so far this is the longest ive ever gone without a cycle. Previously no matter how much I breastfed exclussively, my cycle came back between 3 and 6 mos pp.

I'm not really worried about it.

More concerned about how to know what is normal to live with and what I should worry about. Did that make sense?

How's your blood pressure? I recently had hypertension take me by surprise with no lifestyle risk factors other than age (I'm 43) and heredity. I started 25mg of Losartan and while I'm still wearing reading glasses, my mid-distance vision has improved and my hot flashes have gone. I'm also less fatigued. Hot flashes in woman have been linked to higher blood pressure. Hot Flashes Are Associated With Ambulatory Systolic Hypertension

ETA: Just be aware that if it turns out you need blood pressure medication, you must absolutely avoid pregnancy when on just about any of them save diuretics (and they aren't very effective alone). Even though I have 7 kids myself, my practioner didn't seem to think that was important to mention :glare:

Edited by Barb F. PA in AZ

How's your blood pressure? I recently had hypertension take me by surprise with no lifestyle risk factors other than age (I'm 43) and heredity. I started 25mg of Losartan and while I'm still wearing reading glasses, my mid-distance vision has improved and my hot flashes have gone. Hot flashes in woman has been linked to higher blood pressure. http://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/554149

ETA: Just be aware that if it turns out you need blood pressure medication, you absolutely cannot get pregnant on just about any of them save diuretics (and they aren't very effective alone). Even though I have 7 kids myself, my practioner didn't seem to think that was important to mention :glare:

My bp is near perfect I think. 117/74. If anything my bp tends to run LOW. I've never ever even under tremendous stress had it go higher than 124/88.

My bp is near perfect I think. 117/74. If anything my bp tends to run LOW. I've never ever even under tremendous stress had it go higher than 124/88.

Lucky :001_smile: You have better genes than I. I'm so frustrated with my blood pressure than I can't even tell you.

Lucky :001_smile: You have better genes than I. I'm so frustrated with my blood pressure than I can't even tell you.

Ha! No. My dad has had so many triple by pass surgeries and an aortic valve replacement that I'm not sure any of his original heart remains or even looks like a human heart anymore. My mother died of cancer when I was 21. Both my much older sisters and brother practically have one foot in the grave.

I'm kinda hoping I inherited the bartender's health genes at this point. ;)

Edited by Martha

Does what I described sound like typical perim?

Or should I check into other possible issues and if so, what?

What you describe does sound like the hot flashes I experience. However you do seem a little young and also you have recently had a baby. I think it could well be perimenopause but I think, in your situation, I would probably be inclined to get it checked out to see if anything else is causing hormonal problems. A few blood tests should be able to cast some light and check your thyroid etc. I had my hormone levels checked eventually and had them drawn at the local health department which was much cheaper than having the dr's office do them.

At about 48. I'm almost 53 now, and have had touble with excessive bleeding, so I am currently on BCPs. Other than that, general crabbiness has been my major symptom. Which my family has had to put up with, since it's all them, right?;)

Ha! No. My dad has had so many triple by pass surgeries and an aortic valve replacement that I'm not sure any of his original heart remains or even looks like a human heart anymore. My mother died of cancer when I was 21. Both my much older sisters and brother practically have one foot in the grave.

I'm kinda hoping I inherited the bartender's health genes at this point. ;)

You must have! I'm so sorry for the loss of your mom. That must have been incredibly hard at that age. Considering your family's health history, I think it's a good idea to have a physical and full blood workup done just to rule out things.

I started noticing issues in my late 30's (turning 41 in a few weeks.) I didn't like myself very much until I started treating my thyroid/adrenals and hormones. It changed my life! I love life again and my cycles are back to being fairly regular and totally manageable now instead of debilitating for about a week. No more excessive bleeding and horrible pain. I've got energy again like I haven't had in over a decade! I get a little more sluggish for about 3 days around the start of my cycle but that's really nothing to complain about.

I can't remember all the names but I had my thyroid function, estrogen level, something like leutinising hormone (not spelled right) and I think prolactin, also probably some others. To me, having a baby so recently and only being 38 seems kind of unusual, to be having perimenopause. I'm pretty sure there is a routine set of hormones they check for menopause issues, so hopefully they would do those, also thyroid issues can really mess things up and I think should be checked.

I felt like I was too young, being early 40s and having a baby 4 years before, also my mother was in her 50s before going through menopause. But in the end that is what it was. It has taken me some time to get my head around it and come to terms with it. I still feel like I was too young but do feel more at peace about it. My friend and I keep saying that it can't last too many more years and we've come this far. I am very reluctant to take hormone replacement because of the risks, as my children are so young ( 12 and 8), but if I didn't have young kids I would be very tempted to.

Have any of you tried that supplement that is all over the radio, Amberin (I think that's how you spell it)? Just curious since I see it advertised so much.

I sense I am entering this stage, too, since I have been sleepless and seem to be starting to have hot flashes, though what I've had can be better described as mild unexpected warm waves. I find the mention of anxiety/restlessness as a precursor to a hot flash pretty interesting, I think I may be experiencing a bit of that, too. Funny, I thought I was just worrying about some family members and it really may be hormonal. I guess I am due for a checkup anyway so I'll ask. Dr. Lee's book looks good, too.

I entered perimenopause very early - - early 30s. I've lived with it so far for about 7 years and have managed to avoid any meds. About a year ago, I began regular acupuncture treatments to see if that would help and it definitely has. When too much time lapses between sessions, my symptoms have a tendency to flare up, but as long as I keep my regular monthly treatment, my body thanks me by behaving nicely. I don't do very well with most medications, so I really, really hope I can make it through to the other side with just diet, exercise, and acupuncture.

Have any of you tried that supplement that is all over the radio, Amberin (I think that's how you spell it)? Just curious since I see it advertised so much.

I sense I am entering this stage, too, since I have been sleepless and seem to be starting to have hot flashes, though what I've had can be better described as mild unexpected warm waves. I find the mention of anxiety/restlessness as a precursor to a hot flash pretty interesting, I think I may be experiencing a bit of that, too. Funny, I thought I was just worrying about some family members and it really may be hormonal. I guess I am due for a checkup anyway so I'll ask. Dr. Lee's book looks good, too.

I haven't heard of that particular supplement so I'm afraid I can't help with that. I just wanted to say that I found the anxiety/irritation feeling, that came on just before a hot flash, really unpleasant. But that sensation has lessened quite significantly, I still feel it a little at times but not so strongly as at first. Again, not sure if I'm just accustomed to it now, or if it has indeed lessened. I really think it has lessened.

If this is a normal natural thing, I'd rather not treat it as a disease, iykwim.

But if something is off, such as thyroid or whatever, that shouldn't be - I'd love to get that treated and improve my health.

ETA:

The anxiety is interesting. Lately I have found myself suddenly weepy for no reason at all. Nothing setting it off. Sometimes I'm even quite happy when it hits! Highly annoying and frustrating. I didn't think of it as anxiety though?

Honestly my first and second thoughts were pregnancy, but that's not possible.

If this is a normal natural thing, I'd rather not treat it as a disease, iykwim.

But if something is off, such as thyroid or whatever, that shouldn't be - I'd love to get that treated and improve my health.

ETA:

The anxiety is interesting. Lately I have found myself suddenly weepy for no reason at all. Nothing setting it off. Sometimes I'm even quite happy when it hits! Highly annoying and frustrating. I didn't think of it as anxiety though?

It sounds to me like maybe you should get it checked so you can set your mind at ease. You're right, if it is perimenopause, it is natural and normal and not a disease. It may well be that, probably is, but it might be nice to know for sure. I was almost certain it was for me, but eventually I couldn't stand the thought that I might be enduring something for which there was an easy treatment, so I had the tests to make sure.

eta - I'm not sure if anxiety is the right way to describe the feeling I have, the best I can come up with I guess. The only other way I can describe it is extreme emotional discomfort that comes on suddenly for no particular reason and doesn't last too long. Even though I know it won't last too long, I still find it very uncomfortable.

Edited by tcb

ETA:

Could you be pregnant again? Are you certain?

To answer your OP I'm 45 had have just had my first wonky period about 5 months ago. Then things went back to normal. I have a long time to go.

I haven't heard of that particular supplement so I'm afraid I can't help with that. I just wanted to say that I found the anxiety/irritation feeling, that came on just before a hot flash, really unpleasant. But that sensation has lessened quite significantly, I still feel it a little at times but not so strongly as at first. Again, not sure if I'm just accustomed to it now, or if it has indeed lessened. I really think it has lessened.

Did you feel this more at any certain time of the day? I experience it at night (well, duh, it goes along with sleeplessness!). I have experienced one of my warm waves in daytime but there was no anxiousness.

A few days ago Tibbie Dunbar posted a list for dealing with stress. I have been trying to start being good at following that, it was such good advice. The first thing was "stay hydrated" which was a good wake-up call for me, I really need to drink more water! I think that alone can help so much!

Did you feel this more at any certain time of the day? I experience it at night (well, duh, it goes along with sleeplessness!). I have experienced one of my warm waves in daytime but there was no anxiousness.

I do and did find that I am more likely to experience them in the evening than earlier in the day. I have wondered if I am more likely to ignore them when I'm busier earlier in the day, and be more aware of them when doing less in the evening etc.

Mine began around 49. I had night sweats/hot flashes, etc. I started on Black Cohosh and after a couple of months, they were gone. I stayed on that for almost a year and then thought I would stop for a while. Everything came back again and I'm about to start it back up again. I really don't like the idea of adding hormones that are naturally decreasing so, for me, this works well.

No $3x = absolutely sure I'm not pregnant. :)

I was tempted to ask about pregnancy too...I was researching this topic last week before discovering Monday that I'm pregnant. I'm 37 and have a history of early menopause in my family. I was sure my symptoms were peri menopause related:001_huh:

Since I took 4 tests I'm pretty sure they were accurate. Still in a bit of shock here. We've been discussing maybe having another baby for a few years but not sure we would ever have actively tried. Apparently God thought we waited long enough and decided to intervene a bit.

I was tempted to ask about pregnancy too...I was researching this topic last week before discovering Monday that I'm pregnant. I'm 37 and have a history of early menopause in my family. I was sure my symptoms were peri menopause related:001_huh:

Since I took 4 tests I'm pretty sure they were accurate. Still in a bit of shock here. We've been discussing maybe having another baby for a few years but not sure we would ever have actively tried. Apparently God thought we waited long enough and decided to intervene a bit.

Congratulations!

Make green tea and put Gogi berries in it. You can find them in the health food store, and they're not that expensive. Just toss maybe 7 in the cup. They plump up in the hot water and eat them when you get there. They are excellent for symptoms.

Mom and I were just talking about this the other day. She was done at 40, and I haven't even skipped a period yet and have no symptoms.

Mine began around 49. I had night sweats/hot flashes, etc. I started on Black Cohosh and after a couple of months, they were gone. I stayed on that for almost a year and then thought I would stop for a while. Everything came back again and I'm about to start it back up again. I really don't like the idea of adding hormones that are naturally decreasing so, for me, this works well.

I've heard Black Cohosh is excellent, too.