Menu

dd12 wants to learn greek...any suggestions?

Geesh, ummm, probably ancient I'm assuming since she is studying Greek Myths. I'm a little embarressed :blushing: to ask but is there a big difference between Modern and Ancient?

Well, there is a difference between modern and ancient English..so yes, there is a difference between ancient greek and modern greek.

However. There are different kinds of ancient Greek. Elementary Greek is Koine Greek. That is biblical greek. If she wants to learn Homeric Greek, the kind used by Homer then you need a different type of ancient greek. For that you might try Athenaze. FYI, I have never used it. I just have a kid who also wants to learn Greek. I have heard that Athenaze is on the difficult side and to try waiting for high school. I know Lukeion offers online classes using Athenaze and it is highly recommended.

http://www.lukeion.org/

There is also Galore Park Greek. I believe that is Homeric, but you should check it out. I didn't have a great experience with Galore Park Spanish, so I am not in a hurry to check out the Greek. But, other people really, really like Galore Park. So, you should check it out for yourself

Well, there is a difference between modern and ancient English..so yes, there is a difference between ancient greek and modern greek.

However. There are different kinds of ancient Greek. Elementary Greek is Koine Greek. That is biblical greek. If she wants to learn Homeric Greek, the kind used by Homer then you need a different type of ancient greek. For that you might try Athenaze. FYI, I have never used it. I just have a kid who also wants to learn Greek. I have heard that Athenaze is on the difficult side and to try waiting for high school. I know Lukeion offers online classes using Athenaze and it is highly recommended.

http://www.lukeion.org/

There is also Galore Park Greek. I believe that is Homeric, but you should check it out. I didn't have a great experience with Galore Park Spanish, so I am not in a hurry to check out the Greek. But, other people really, really like Galore Park. So, you should check it out for yourself

Thanks for the information. This is new territory for me so I'm really in the dark.

I googled Galore Park and found there website that is based in the UK. Do you know other vendors that sell their products? Thanks

Elementary Greek! That is what the co-op we are joining this fall uses. I've started it, as have my 15 & 12 yo -- they are making much quicker progress than I am. :) I did create a pinterest board with some links also.

:iagree:DD13 is on year three of EG and it's excellent. Very bite-sized lessons, very clearly laid out and easy to use. Highly recommended! After this she will move to Athenaze, probably with Lukeion, possibly on her own.

Memoria Press is supposed to have a new greek curriculum soon. I think it will be a combination of koine and attic.

Galore Park also has a new book soon(recent thread--sorry i can't link) which can be pre-ordered through amazon I think. There is a good long sample for the old book on their website.

We are doing elementary greek and love it. Really easy to use.

You can look over Galore Park's offerings on their site and then see if Book Depository sells what you want. Although Book Depository is based in the UK, it offers free shipping world wide (or at least it did - it was bought by Amazon, I think, so check on that).

My son (11) is going to start the Classical Greek for Beginners book soon. I believe it teaches Attic Greek (so, timeline wise, between Homeric and Koine). The program GP is releasing soon is part of the So You Really Want to Learn... series aimed at 13-16 year olds. CGB might be easier if your dd hasn't had any exposure, though.

I'm not sure when Memoria Press plans to release First Form Greek.

You can look over Galore Park's offerings on their site and then see if Book Depository sells what you want. Although Book Depository is based in the UK, it offers free shipping world wide (or at least it did - it was bought by Amazon, I think, so check on that).

In the US Galore Park books are sold by horriblebooks.com

Laura

Another consideration is whether it's Attic or Koine. Koine is basically biblical Greek and what most homeschooling programs use. Attic might be what your daughter wants though if she's attracted to myths and possibly the literature of the time. Athenaze is an Attic Greek program.

Just a tip, my daughter also loved myths and wanted to learn Greek. Then I read Ovid's Metamophoses to her. She LOVED it (it retells a lot of those wonderful myths) and switched her language choice to Latin which IMO is MUCH easier then Attic Greek to find resources for.

Thanks everyone!

Based on recommendations from this board, we are doing the Greek Alphabet Code Cracker book first and them moving into Elementary Greek.

This sounds like a good idea. I will look into that book.

Another consideration is whether it's Attic or Koine. Koine is basically biblical Greek and what most homeschooling programs use. Attic might be what your daughter wants though if she's attracted to myths and possibly the literature of the time. Athenaze is an Attic Greek program.

Just a tip, my daughter also loved myths and wanted to learn Greek. Then I read Ovid's Metamophoses to her. She LOVED it (it retells a lot of those wonderful myths) and switched her language choice to Latin which IMO is MUCH easier then Attic Greek to find resources for.

I think I want to stick with Attic Greek for now instead of bibical since she is studying Greek myths.

Thanks for the book suggestion! You're right, there are far more options for Latin than Greek!

Based on recommendations from this board, we are doing the Greek Alphabet Code Cracker book first and them moving into Elementary Greek.

This is what dd did. GACC was so fun for her! I think it would be fun even for an older student (she was about 9 when she did it) but EG covers the same ground in the first few lessons, if your dd looked at it and thought it was too young-seeming.

Also, look at Lukeion.org (mentioned here by a few people) because later this summer Regan Barr is doing a free online workshop in learning the Greek alphabet in an hour. My dd also took this class and had a great time with it. It's free!

I don't see any of the Greek Books by GP at horriblebooks.

Ray at Horrible Books can get any Galore Park book for you, as far as I know. Just ask him about the beginning Greek book. Just because it's not on the website doesn't mean he can't get it.

Laura