Menu

Where I can buy high-quality museum art prints that are not postcard-sized?

melissel

There were a couple of great suggestions in this thread, but it looks like one doesn't make them anymore, and the other, while a great concept, is smaller than I'd like the pictures to be. I'd love to have 8x10 sized prints, if possible.

Does anyone happen to know where I could buy something like this? I did some Googling but couldn't come up with anything.

TIA!

Subbing...

I was on Costco's photo website the other day and they have many famous prints that you can order directly from them in whatever size you choose. And they're pretty inexpensive.

Perfect! They have the artisits I had planned for next year. Thanks for mentioning this. I would never have looked at Costco.

There were a couple of great suggestions in this thread, but it looks like one doesn't make them anymore, and the other, while a great concept, is smaller than I'd like the pictures to be. I'd love to have 8x10 sized prints, if possible.

Does anyone happen to know where I could buy something like this? I did some Googling but couldn't come up with anything.

TIA!

Have you seen the Simply Charlotte Mason Picture Study Portfolios?

TIA!

Our library allows us to check out high quality reproductions of famous artworks. This works great for us, due to limited space.

OK, that Costco site is a huge win--I didn't even know they did photos and prints! That is pretty much exactly what I need, just the right balance between quality and economy :D

I have also seen the SCM portfolios, and really, they're exactly what I'm looking for, but like ScoutTN, I wish they offered a wider selection of artists. I will probably buy one or two from them, but I'm looking for a broader representation of eras and styles. The Costco option will get me part of the way there, and then I can maybe frame them afterward to use around the house too.

Thank you all so much! I'm well on my way to planning our artist study for the coming year!

To order prints from the Costco website, do you have to be a Costco member?

I don't know, because I am a member, so I just put my number in when I registered and they asked for it. I looked on the site but didn't see anything. There's an option for mailing the prints to you, so maybe? I know BJ's allows you to order from their site if you're not a member--you just pay a surcharge. The best thing to do would probably be to email them and ask.

I got to the used bookstores and look for older editions of coffee table books of art. That is what I use for art history/appreciation because P-cards are too darned small.

You know, as I was cleaning out the bookshelf yesterday, I came across a big one on the Impressionists that I'd forgotten I'd bought at a yard sale in the spring. I also found one on European paintings I'd bought at the Metropolitan as well. If I can just pick up one or two more from different genres/eras, I should be well set. Thanks for the idea about the used bookstores!

I got to the used bookstores and look for older editions of coffee table books of art. That is what I use for art history/appreciation because P-cards are too darned small.

This is what I do and I have been able to pick up all sorts of wonderful books and museum catalogs.

Have you seen the Simply Charlotte Mason Picture Study Portfolios?

I highly recommend these!

I bought two of them at the Midwest Homeschool Convention (Turner and Constable), and they are really nice and priced very well for what you are getting (several high quality 8x10 reproductions and a paperback book with a short biography of the artist). My dd9 has really liked them, and asked to have the pieces in her room in a frame.

Our library allows us to check out high quality reproductions of famous artworks. This works great for us, due to limited space.
Some art museums have a lending library for teachers, including homeschool teachers.

I have not used this resource yet, but have been able to tour the lending library at a local art museum and it is drool-worthy!

(Search out art museums that have a heavy focus on education, as they are more likely to have a lending library.)

Also, if your local art museum offers homeschool days, be sure to check them out. We attend homeschool programs at two different museums and they always load us up with goodies. Yes, generally it is older books, prints and such that have not sold in the gift shop... But it is has always been awesome stuff.

And... Like others have mentioned: Be sure to look for coffee table art books at used books stores and the local library's used book sales.

Our library definitely doesn't have anything to lend, unfortunately. We have a local museum, but I don't think they have anything either. We take art classes there, so I'll be sure to ask.

To order prints from the Costco website, do you have to be a Costco member?

I asked tonight when we picked up the our test print (a Degas ballet class), and they said yes, you do have to be a member :( I highly recommend Costco in general though, so it might be worth the membership anyway.

For anyone who was wondering, the print (photo? not sure what to call it!) is lovely, very crisp, with very true colors, and nicely done. DD6 is eager to have it framed in her room already, and DD9 surprised me by naming the artist right away :hurray:

The online process is very simple. The only hitch is that they don't scale the image of the painting to fit the size you choose--you have to choose a size and then play with the orientation/cropping to get as much of your painting in there as possible. You may have to opt for a different set of dimensions than you originally wanted (and possibly a different price), depending on the dimensions of the painting you want. I lost a smidge at the top and bottom of my picture but no detail, so it won't affect it for study purposes. It was $2.99 for a 12 x 12 print. I could have gotten an 8 x 8 for $1.49 and still fit as much of the painting in it.

Thanks again for all the input, everyone! You really helped me think through what my plan will be for the coming year.

Some art museums have a lending library for teachers, including homeschool teachers.

I have not used this resource yet, but have been able to tour the lending library at a local art museum and it is drool-worthy!

(Search out art museums that have a heavy focus on education, as they are more likely to have a lending library.)

Also, if your local art museum offers homeschool days, be sure to check them out. We attend homeschool programs at two different museums and they always load us up with goodies. Yes, generally it is older books, prints and such that have not sold in the gift shop... But it is has always been awesome stuff.

And... Like others have mentioned: Be sure to look for coffee table art books at used books stores and the local library's used book sales.

The National Gallery of Art lends their items as well; you just pay return shipping.