Menu

Six Week No Spending Experiment

We just got back from vacation and ate too much and bought some stuff we needed. We are taking the next six weeks to hunker down and try not to buy. We will pay our bills, of course, and buy food (we're trying the Hillbilly Housewife's Emergency Menu after we empty the pantry).

I just made my own toothpaste and it's not bad. I didn't realize the Tom's of Maine I was using contains SLS, which gives me canker sores. I use Larenim Mineral Makeup but am too cheap to replace the Dawn Til Dusk face powder so I just use Organic Cornstarch instead. I also have Organic Beet Root Powder which I will mix with the Organic Cornstarch and make blush when I run out.

Which items do you make from scratch that save you money?

We did exactly the same thing you did not long ago!

I'm on week 5 or something a really, really tight budget for food.

What I did was go to the bulk area of Winco and got like 2 cups of whatever dried legumes/grains, started making my own breads, brought out the rice cooker and the pressure cooker and crockpot.

Most of the dinners I've made since are pretty much under 2 bucks a day, with enough left over for lunch the following day.

My kitchen is like absolutely trashed all day long, lots and lots of dishes, and lots of baking.

Well, I completely stopped wearing make-up so that expense is gone. I make many of my own cleaners and my laundry detergent. I have been using up my pantry gradually other than buying milk and a few fresh fruits and veggies. Today we are having veggie soup from leftover veggies that I have been freezing for weeks.

I use coconut oil to "wash" my face. I have homemade deodrant and storebought but have been just using that if out and going to be for awhile. Although, the homemade has been holding up (I've issues w/ it not working before but the current recipe is working well). I make a very simple dishwasher and laundry detergent that cost nearly nothing to make. I clean w/ vinegar and baking soda. We use clothe napkins, rags, breastpads, menstrual pads and diapers, I keep no paper products in the house but tp (although I'd do clothe tp if dh would allow it!).

Mostly we just don't use a lot of things and if we do I buy bulk and use sparingly- I read somewhere forever ago to try using 1/2 of whatever you use and keep taking it in half until you notice it not working. I buy dishliquid by 1 gallon- BioKleen from Azure which was about $12, last one last 18 months. Dh likes shaving gel and regular deodorant but I used coupons for those and he goes through them pretty slowly. I just spent $10 and he'll likely have enough for 2 years of shaving cream and at least 1 yr of deodrant (I found his favorite Degree for 50c and bought them out).

I buy in bulk and cook from scratch except for ketchup, mustard and a few more exotic condiments. I do make salad dressing, mayo, worchestshire sauce, vanilla, various other seasonings and sauces.

I do wear make-up but only concealer and mascara. I did have tinted lip gloss but ran out, so I just have carmex now. I only put it on when going out maybe 1-2 x a week and am trying to wean down further and embrace my inner beauty :)

We still do our own window and general house cleaners. We have done our own laundry soap, but I didn't think it was working very well. My dh's work clothes get very dirty, and it wasn't working. So we went back to store soap, but I coupon and get it super cheap.

The same with makeup. I have stocked it up and gotten it for next to nothing (and lots of times only for tax) so I don't have to do without it or get creative.

I have worked to stock things like maxi pads and lotions and razors, so we could live comfortably for awhile and still not do without though we have before.

I do still make my own bread. I have yet to find deals on it consistantly to stop me from doing that.

Not making things, but I have hung my laundry for years now and did see a drop in my elec. bill when I started. I also garden for fresh fruits and veggies though we couldn't survive on only them most summers. I have had very successful ones that kept us from buying almost all fresh stuff for a few months anyway. I plan to add fruit trees soon.

Which items do you make from scratch that save you money?

Not quite your question, but cloth napkins, dish cloths, washcloths, mama pads, shopping bags, cleaning rags. Also skirts, yoga pants, dresses, dance wear, assorted costumes, kids' bathing suits, and doll clothes. And I have knitted wool socks, scarves, hats, and wrist warmers. I've made quite a few toys and games. I've made a few simple furniture pieces also. Sometimes these projects save money; other times they result in a higher-quality product than I could otherwise afford to buy.

Cooking-wise I've done the usual stuff from scratch - bread, hummus, yogurt, cakes and baked goods, etc. Most of our meals at the moment are variations on fresh veggies, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, or whole wheat tortillas, and beans, lentils, nuts, or eggs. Now is a good time to begin canning or freezing produce for the winter.