Menu

It's getting real.

I can no longer stick my fingers in my ears, sing "LA LA LA" and pretend it isn't happening. We have reached the point where we have to make the plans for my son's orientation weekend at Hope College. We had to decide whether or not we would be bringing the whole family (we are not.) We had to decide to forgo the Sunday activities in order to be home on time for commitments for our other children that can't be changed. I had to swallow the lump in my throat and blink back tears as I could no longer push away the reality that we will be leaving him there. I know he is going to a great place, a great opportunity, where he belongs. I know he will be fine. I, on the other hand, am not. I will put on the happy face and be excited for him. I will dissolve into a puddle on the way home and be unfit to drive. I will put on the happy face for my other children.

How do you all do this??

My son and I just went to Staples and purchased some college supplies using a 15% off coupon....but I'm still sticking "my fingers in my ears, sing "LA LA LA" and pretending it isn't happening", too. I'll keep a look out for other moms doing the same thing now!

Myra

I can no longer stick my fingers in my ears, sing "LA LA LA" and pretend it isn't happening. . . . I had to swallow the lump in my throat and blink back tears as I could no longer push away the reality that we will be leaving him there. I know he is going to a great place, a great opportunity, where he belongs. I know he will be fine. I, on the other hand, am not. I will put on the happy face and be excited for him. I will dissolve into a puddle on the way home and be unfit to drive. I will put on the happy face for my other children.

How do you all do this??

^ This is me, but with a daughter. :grouphug: And I'm doing it one *tiny* step at a time, very reluctantly!

How do you all do this??

I cried a LOT my dd1's freshman year!

For whatever reason, the initial drop-off was a bit easier with #2. We'll see with #3 -- we're dropping him off in forty days exactly, but who's counting?

When the kids were babies, I heard a lot about the "terrible twos," but I never heard about how much their leaving home would hurt!

We just do things one step at a time and keep marching on. I focus on how much they are enjoying themselves and stifle my feelings in front of them... but I now know why my mom cried when she left me. At the time I couldn't understand as I was so happy... I focus on how I felt then and save the other for myself. Time does make it better, but there are plenty of times when I reminisce and get nostalgic about all the great times we had growing up.

Middle son and I have been purchasing books. In a couple of weeks we'll go shopping for his dorm room. There are good times left to have with him. I'm not going to miss those worrying about the future.