Menu

I let my kids burn yesterday

Iam usually obsessive about sun protection whenever we leave the house. For some reason, it just never crossed my mind yesterday, as 3 of the kids ran around in swimsuits having water gun fights... ALL day.

Their burns are far from serious, but definitely the worst they've ever had, and I feel awful. This is so unusual in my house that my TENyo actually asked me if sunburns are permanent or if they fade. (She knows skin sheds, but dh and I are tattoed, so she also knows some skin changes are forever.)

I just feel so crummy about it. :(

It happens, Carrie. Don't beat yourself up. Aloe works great to take the sting out. Today will be a sit in front of the tv and watch movie day.

If it's any consolation, I've done the same thing. And I've done it to myself, too. I'm a red-head and I know better.

It happens. I know my kids have received far fewer burns than I had by their age, so I just do the best I can.

One good thing that came out of my kids getting sunburned: They quit complaining about sunburn prevention measures. They got a taste of sunburn (and theirs wasn't bad enough to peel, but was uncomfortable) and they were much more compliant.

I am dark haired, brown eyed, and more olive skin toned. I don't burn easily. I have only had a couple of really bad burns. My DS is blonde haired, blue eyed, pale white.skin!! I am good about putting sunscreen on, but I had to learn the hard way about how different sunscreen application is for my pale skinned child. He did not burn to bad, and not over his whole.body; but his poor little nose and shoulders :(

Aftersun cream and aloe help a lot!

:grouphug: Don't beat yourself up!! Accidents happen. I let DD get burnt when she was just a little tiny thing, only 3. :001_huh: I felt horrible about it forever. (Still do, if I'm being honest!)

Just take extra good care of them and let that guilt go. We all slip up.