Menu

The vet put my cat on Xanax!

My poor neurotic cat, Thumbelina, is a very high strung, fearful kind of cat. Six weeks ago we got a puppy and that freaked her out so she went into hiding. Then, after my mil died, my fil came to stay with us for an indefinite period of time. Well, she is very shy with strangers, especially men. She simply couldn't handle the strain and she's started to pee and poop all over the house because she's too scared to actually go to the litter box or the door.

I had to take my puppy in for shots anyway so I asked the vet what to do since I'm very tired of cleaning up after her. And much to my surprise he prescribed Xanax for her, which by the way, is what my poor fil is on right now.

The thing is she is so skittish I have no idea how we are even going to administer it to her. He said the pharmacy would put it in a liquid form so we can shoot it into her mouth.

We'll see.

Life is never boring around here!

Well, let me know if it works! The vet mentioned it to me as well. My cat is having similar behavior issues, minus the skittishness, but I have no idea what's causing it. We're trying to slowly work through it, but if she starts peeing in the house again I'm going back for Xanax!

I have known cats on benzos. It has helped. Plus, they'll never be breaking into cars stealing stereos for their next buy.

I even knew a cat that got crazy in her old age....wandered around at night yowling as only a Siamese can yowl. A touch of antipsychotic, and poof, quiet cat.

The thing is she is so skittish I have no idea how we are even going to administer it to her. He said the pharmacy would put it in a liquid form so we can shoot it into her mouth.

We'll see.

Life is never boring around here!

If you can't get it into her mouth, you can just shoot it into yours! That should make the endless clean-ups more bearable! :001_smile:

By the way, I love her name! She must be a small kitty!

Michelle T