Menu

Hair Advice Please

My hair is a problem. I'm fairly sure that much of it is because of my chronic illness and so "it is what it is" but I'd like some advice anyway. I've grown my hair long because for all of my life I've wanted long flowing hair and finally decided to grow long stringy hair anyway. But now I'm thinking that perhaps I might cut it. My family has surprised me by saying "No! We like it long!" but I think they are influenced by knowing how much I had wanted to grow it despite a lot of pressure from my mother not to.

Here are some pictures. The pony tail pictures are how I wear it most of the time to give a semblance of neatness to my thin frizzy hair.

th_IMG_2287.jpg

th_IMG_2288.jpg

th_IMG_2291.jpg

th_IMG_2290.jpg

I'm just exploring options at this point, though (sigh) I don't think there a whole lot for someone with my hair.

P.S. Because of my chronic illness I'm afraid to go with options that involve chemicals.

Jean,

I say this as a blog friend, "Cut It." I think you should treat yourself to a haircut by a good stylist. Go to her and get her recommendations. Look through some magazines and bring pics of hairstyles you like. The hair stylist can give you tips on what looks good with your shape face. If you don't want your hair real short, there are plenty of cute hairstyles that can give you that long hair feeling but still give your hair and shape and style. I'm thinking something a little bit above your shoulders. Are you open to coloring it? Maybe it could be an upcoming birthday present or something if funding is an issue. Hope this helps. :001_smile: I've always been one of those friends that people can come to and I tell them really how it is. I hope you don't take offense. :)

Angel

I have similar hair, very thin and wavy. I keep it cut in a bob, all one length (layers didn't work with my thin hair!), between chin and shoulder length. I blow it dry with a round brush (something kind of like this), and that gives it more volume and makes my hair look more "on purpose." :) I also recently discovered a volumizing mousse by Garnier Fructis that gives my hair more volume and helps it keep the same style throughout the day, instead of getting blown out of place. I hope this helps

I have similar hair, very thin and wavy. I keep it cut in a bob, all one length (layers didn't work with my thin hair!), between chin and shoulder length. I blow it dry with a round brush (something kind of like this), and that gives it more volume and makes my hair look more "on purpose." :) I also recently discovered a volumizing mousse by Garnier Fructis that gives my hair more volume and helps it keep the same style throughout the day, instead of getting blown out of place. I hope this helps

I agree with the bob. I have fine, thin hair. I get mine cut in a bob and always get compliments (for my thin, lifeless hair :)).

Here's a good link: http://beauty.about.com/od/shorthairstyles/ss/bobcuts.htm

I agree with the bob. I have fine, thin hair. I get mine cut in a bob and always get compliments (for my thin, lifeless hair :)).

Here's a good link: http://beauty.about.com/od/shorthairstyles/ss/bobcuts.htm

I've had bobs in the past. It looks like it might be time to go back to it.

Hi Jean,

I was thinking shoulder length with light layering. You could try all one length if your hair is very thin, then maybe bangs or lightly layered just around your face. Either would be very simple to care for, just blow dry with a curved vent brush. I really like the sleek and shine anti humidity leave in here:

http://www.amazon.com/Garnier-Fructis-Smoothing-Anti-Humidity-Strong/dp/B000GCRABY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1341291564&sr=8-3&keywords=fructis+garnier+sleek+and+shine+anti+humidity

It is VERY humid where I live, this really helped with frizz. There is also this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Garnier-Fructis-Anti-Frizz-Serum-Sleek/dp/B000GCTBNY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1341291564&sr=8-2&keywords=fructis+garnier+sleek+and+shine+anti+humidity

I thought my hair was just bad from middle age and thyroid issues.... but the first option really helped. Also, I found a conditioner that wasn't too heavy.

Good luck! I'm close behind you. Here's hoping we get haircuts we like!

you can clip it up with attractive clips, combs, hairsticks, etc. something more exciting than a ponytail. My daughter has thin wavy hair just past her shoulders. using an iron makes an amazing difference in how it looks. ceramic irons are kinder on your hair.

If you do decide to cut it, I know a great stylist in factoria. You can pm me if you're interested.

Jean

I hope you don't mind, but I had my dd take a look at it.(She is a hairdresser)

She suggested cutting it, but you do not have to go short if you don't want to. She suggested lots of layering to give it more of a full look.

If you wanted to go short, you could do a bob as other suggested, and then pick up hair extensions( real hair, not synthetic) if you wanted a different look. Both my girls have hair extensions and they look fabulous.

HTH:grouphug:

P.S. Because of my chronic illness I'm afraid to go with options that involve chemicals.

This is why I have grown my hair out, AGAIN! I can not even go into a beauty shop because of all the chemicals used and it is soooooo difficult to find someone to come to my home that also does a good job. I pay them very well for coming but still........:tongue_smilie:

I just read about using Coconut oil on hair and I am going to try that. The gal that blogged about it said the first day her hair was a bit oily but after that and several washings it was still very nice.

I only wash mine a couple of times a week so not sure how that will weigh in.

I have had some hair issues due to health issues as well. Mine is also fine and wavy.

I would cut it somewhere between jaw length and shoulder length because it looks like you've got a lot of breakage. It's a flattering length for most people. I dye my hair to color grey and to add a bit of thickness to the strand. It really helps with the texture. I understand your desire to avoid chemicals though.

Once you're dealing with healthy ends, then you can try to grow it longer if you'd like....

This is why I have grown my hair out, AGAIN! I can not even go into a beauty shop because of all the chemicals used and it is soooooo difficult to find someone to come to my home that also does a good job. I pay them very well for coming but still........:tongue_smilie:

Yes. I too am afraid to go into a salon. The last time they washed my hair - just washed it - my scalp broke out into a rash. It was so sore.

I had never ever thought of paying someone to come to the house. . .

And coconut oil. I'm cooking with it now. I hadn't thought of using it on my hair. I'll have to google that too.

Jean,

I say this as a blog friend, "Cut It." I think you should treat yourself to a haircut by a good stylist. Go to her and get her recommendations. Look through some magazines and bring pics of hairstyles you like. The hair stylist can give you tips on what looks good with your shape face. If you don't want your hair real short, there are plenty of cute hairstyles that can give you that long hair feeling but still give your hair and shape and style. I'm thinking something a little bit above your shoulders. Are you open to coloring it? Maybe it could be an upcoming birthday present or something if funding is an issue. Hope this helps. :001_smile: I've always been one of those friends that people can come to and I tell them really how it is. I hope you don't take offense. :)

Angel

:iagree:

Jean,

Find a better stylist...I have a sensitive scalp and my stylist rec's Redkin for colored treated hair, even if you hair isn't color treated. It's very mild and doesn't smell. If you have to bring your own products or go in with a wet head.

Imo, fwiw...I'd go for a good trim or cut. Healthy hair looks prettier and younger:001_smile:.