Menu

How to handle diploma &transcripts for recently married graduate..

My 18 year old was married a month ago. I haven't officially graduated her, as she us just finishing three dual enrolled classes. How do I handle her transcripts and diploma? I'd rather use her single name, but am sure that it isn't legal. Thus, am considering this: Suzie Single-Married.

Any suggestions?

PS: I know some may raise eyebrows at her father and I allowing an early marriage. She would have married him, anyway, once she turned 18. So we gave her our blessings and a small wedding. AND... she is a straight 4.0 just finished her Associates and received a scholarship at the same college. This is not a brag, but wanted you all to know that she's a serious person/student.

My 18 year old was married a month ago. I haven't officially graduated her, as she us just finishing three dual enrolled classes. How do I handle her transcripts and diploma? I'd rather use her single name, but am sure that it isn't legal. Thus, am considering this: Suzie Single-Married.

Any suggestions?

PS: I know some may raise eyebrows at her father and I allowing an early marriage. She would have married him, anyway, once she turned 18. So we gave her our blessings and a small wedding. AND... she is a straight 4.0 just finished her Associates and received a scholarship at the same college. This is not a brag, but wanted you all to know that she's a serious person/student.

If she is using her husband's surname, and you are graduating her on paper after the marriage, I would use her husband's last name. You could also use "Suzie Maiden Married" but perhaps hyphenate only if she will be doing that in the future.

Lisa

First off... Congratulations! :D My mom was 18 when they got married, and 41 years later, my parents still adore each other.

Hmm... I'd probably put her maiden name on her transcript, especially if she hasn't legally changed it yet. She'd fill out the college application with her married name, and list her maiden in the spot for previous names. They all have that, because many people's names change over the course of their academic career. It's not that unusual.

Well, as far as I can remember, her last name doesn't automatically change as soon as she is married. You have to go through the proper government agencies to officially change your name. I think the social security office and the DMV? I can't really remember off hand. If she hasn't done that, then as far as the govt is concerned, she is still Suzie Single.

My name didn't legally change for a couple of years. I forgot to send in the paperwork and when we filed our taxes it got kicked back for the first two years. Make sure you know what her legal name is and use it on the diploma.

Why wouldn't that be "legal"?? :confused: As far as I know, there are no laws pertaining to the name someone uses on a high school transcript. :confused:

Use her single name.

So few Americans know what née is that you'd probably end up with it added to the name as if it were Susie Marriedname de la Singlename.

If you put both on I would spell it out.

As I remember the marriage cert was evidence of the name change (didn't need another court document) but I had to apply with it several places to get a new ssn, driver's license, mil ID, etc.

Well, as far as I can remember, her last name doesn't automatically change as soon as she is married. You have to go through the proper government agencies to officially change your name. I think the social security office and the DMV? I can't really remember off hand. If she hasn't done that, then as far as the govt is concerned, she is still Suzie Single.

If she hasn't legally changed her name on her driver's license, passport, or social, you can and should use her maiden name.

I would use her maiden name and her married name. I did that when I graduated from college and got married the next week. I didn't want my references confused if someone called asking about me by my married name. I just thought that going through the name change at the same time as taking certification tests/ applying for jobs, etc. could cause some confusion. I never intended to keep using my maiden name but I used it during that time. I actually just used "Suzi Maiden Married" no hyphen or anything. It looked like a middle name probably. Which was fine. I just wanted both names on those things to avoid possible confusion.

You mentioned your dd is just finishing up some CC courses. Has she changed her name with the college? If her college transcript will have her maiden name, her HS transcript certainly should. If she has changed her name with the college, then I would go ahead and *add* her married name to her HS transcript. I would still leave her maiden name there too, though.

Suzie Maiden Married, no hyphen or anything.

BTW, her maiden name will always be *legal*, because that is what is on her birth certificate. Changing one's last name due to marriage is not the same as having it legally changed (ie: birth cert. is court amended). Gov't agencies allow you to use your husband's last name based on a marriage certificate, but it certainly isn't required.

Why wouldn't that be "legal"?? :confused: As far as I know, there are no laws pertaining to the name someone uses on a high school transcript. :confused:

Use her single name.

She's dual enrolling, and changed her name with them for her last three classes. Her final transcript from the State College will have her married name on it.

The signatures on the diploma will have a different last name, so it'll probably appear less like a home school diploma and more like a private school.

Edited by Stillwood