Menu

Help - 8yr old putting toys in his mouth?

I'm having to constantly tell my son to not put his Legos and other small toys in his mouth. Sometimes it's because he's using his teeth to pull apart the bricks, even though he has two brick separators right at hand. He's even swallowed a brick! :svengo: I had to tell him 5 -6 times just last night to take his Playmobil toys out of his mouth, he was just holding them while I was reading to him. Ugh...

He doesn't chew anything else, clothes, hair, etc. And he rarely put things in his mouth as a baby/toddler. So why is he doing this now? He's not been diagnosed with anything, although I have noticed that lately he's sometimes acted a bit sensitive to loud noises. Nothing extreme, just putting his hands over his ears when he thinks something is loud.

Ideas?

Edited by photojenic

My son has been doing this lately. Constantly has his fingers in his mouth. He is playing Creationary right now, and I have told him numerous times to get the dice out of his mouth. No words of wisdom, but it is driving me nuts. It's now become a habit that needs breaking. Ugh!

I didn't think about teething. He's only lost one tooth, and the ortho at our dentist has been quietly murmuring about having to pull the babies if they don't start coming out soon by themselves. Maybe a chew necklace or bracelet will help with that too. :001_unsure:

sometimes food sensitivites can manifest as sensitivity to sound or other sensory seeking.

I know pulling lego's apart with teeth is just so much easier than having to look for a seperator. can you put one on a chain he can wear around his neck when he plays with lego?