Menu

Turnips

What do turnips taste like, and do they taste good roasted?

My son is finishing one of the Little House books and in the story the family was storing their turnips for the winter. Well, you know how this went... :) The next thing I know, I'm at the store buying turnips for the first time and wondering what to do with them. I planned to roast carrots and fennel tonight as one of our veggies, so I thought I'd throw in the turnips.

After I wash them do I peel them?

Are they a bit "firey" like radishes?

Thank you!

My grandmother would cook them with a bit of sugar and a bit of cayenne pepper. Just boil until soft. I love them roasted like above or just raw with hummas. Or chopped into salads. They are kind of out of season right now so they may not taste as good as those in the fall, but I still love them. If you buy some with the green tops, you can saute the greens down like collards and then cook down with chopped turnips inside. When my mom cooks them this way I love to douse with hot sauce before eating.

I roast them chopped with carrots, butternut squash and sweet potatoes. Just toss them with EVOO and salt/pepper. Then the next day I puree with chicken broth and fresh thyme for soup. It's SO good.

I"ve roasted them alone but this sounds soooo yummy, especially the soup.

Since it's related to the Little House books, definitely try them at least once raw. I can't remember the book, but there's a part where it goes something like "And turnips. Lots of turnips. Carrie loved to eat a raw turnip." Our gardening neighbor who first introduced us to turnips says if it's too firey, you can peel/pare off the outside of it for a milder taste.

We do like them cooked as other posters have described as well. I've been wondering how they would fry up in coconut oil. We did some sweet potato chips the other day and they were fantastic.

Erica in OR