Menu

Latin with pictures?

Dyslexic ds loves languages (crazy sounding I know) and he has expressed interest in learning Latin, but...our experience with Prima Latina was terrible. It was nothing but vocab and drilling, and was not at all a good fit for someone with verbal word retrieval issues.

So, are there any Latin programs that provide lots of picture support? Something where there is a picture of a classroom and then the objects are labeled more like a traditional foreign language text? Ds needs a picture to attach to the vocab. in order to be successful. When he finishes phonics in the fall, we should have a slot where I can plug it in, assuming I can find something that will work.

Matin Latin from Canon Press uses pictures for the vocabulary words. It drove me nuts because sometimes I needed to look the word up in the back if the picture could have meant more than one thing. But it might be just what your son needs for the extra reinforcement.

No pictures, but GSWL is all translation, which may provide the context for a right-brained learner to learn more effectively than by rote memorization of vocab. Just one word per lesson with ten sentences to translate, loads of white space. Eta, translation is the fun of Latin!

Edited by wapiti

Have you seen Andrew Campbell's "I Speak Latin"? I came across it after we were already down the path in our Latin journey...wish I had seen it years ago. It looks like it might be a good fit for you.

:iagree: I wish I had found it earlier too. Minimus is fun, with a comic book style - it didn't "stick" here, but they enjoyed it as a supplement to Prima and LCI.

Dyslexic ds loves languages (crazy sounding I know) and he has expressed interest in learning Latin, but...our experience with Prima Latina was terrible. It was nothing but vocab and drilling, and was not at all a good fit for someone with verbal word retrieval issues.

So, are there any Latin programs that provide lots of picture support? Something where there is a picture of a classroom and then the objects are labeled more like a traditional foreign language text? Ds needs a picture to attach to the vocab. in order to be successful. When he finishes phonics in the fall, we should have a slot where I can plug it in, assuming I can find something that will work.

I think you would like "I Speak Latin". Both my kids love it and it is great for my wiggly 6 year old. For the vocabulary, he tells you what to draw on flash cards (very simple stick figures).