Menu

Fly little bird, fly

This week, Calvin is going with two friends to an open day at a university that they might apply to. They are travelling together by train and sharing a room in a hotel. I'm thrilled that they decided to go together, even though I'd love to be there too. It's a prestigious university and they are encouraging each other to aim high. I'm a little bit jealous, but keeping that well under wraps.

Fly little bird, fly.

Laura

This week, Calvin is going with two friends to an open day at a university that they might apply to. They are travelling together by train and sharing a room in a hotel. I'm thrilled that they decided to go together, even though I'd love to be there too. It's a prestigious university and they are encouraging each other to aim high. I'm a little bit jealous, but keeping that well under wraps.

Fly little bird, fly.

Laura

Awww. It's hard to let the little birds go, isn't it? Facing this myself as my daughter is planning to move to a campus in a month in order to attend a school.

I will cry a lot at first. Hope she still loves me.

He's back! They all had a great time, and talked about how good it felt to be walking around unsupervised. It gave them a feel for what being away at university might actually be like. They went to some sample lectures, toured lots of buildings, spoke to the curriculum heads for the subjects they are interested in....

Calvin had his suitcase stolen from the train but dealt with the police and didn't seem fazed at all.

Laura

He's back! They all had a great time, and talked about how good it felt to be walking around unsupervised. It gave them a feel for what being away at university might actually be like. They went to some sample lectures, toured lots of buildings, spoke to the curriculum heads for the subjects they are interested in....

Calvin had his suitcase stolen from the train but dealt with the police and didn't seem fazed at all.

Laura

How awesome. We live in a city/state without good public transportation and there really isn't public transportation between cities. Large cities might have very limited bus service between them. When we do travel, we try to point out the mechanics of using public transportation and talk about decisions we make. I think the car culture makes it harder to think of letting my kids do this (because one of the kids would have to be driving), but what a wonderful experience for Calvin and his friends.

I missed this when he left. Glad he had a good time. Too bad about the luggage. Sounds like he handled it well.

At what age do they generally leave for university in England?

Calvin is accelerated: he'll finish school at 17 1/2 and then either go to university or take a gap year.

Applications for some universities have to be made by the autumn of your last year at school, so that would be fifteen months from now. He and his friends want to visit possible schools over the next year before making their decisions.

He and his two friends, plus another neighbouring friend, are all upstairs playing video games together, having emerged from bed at around eleven. They are a pleasure to have around. I find watching (nice) boys turn into splendid young men overwhelmingly touching.

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

He left them somewhere at the college he was touring. Luckily he managed to find them again through contacts he had made at the open day. As Husband said: lessons in organisation and responsibility learned without too much pain.

Laura

He left them somewhere at the college he was touring. Luckily he managed to find them again through contacts he had made at the open day. As Husband said: lessons in organisation and responsibility learned without too much pain.

Laura

:D Glad he had a great time and got reunited with his luggage!