Menu

2 question post - nail biting and a scalp condition

Both are with my 3 y.o. daughter. She's begun biting her nails, not in nervousness, usually just because they're there. It's becoming a habit I can't seem to distract or reminder her away from. Are there any tried and true good ideas for stopping this while it's still fairly new?

Second, she has a constant battle of what seems a lot like cradle cap, only it keeps returning. I sometimes soak her head with some olive oil and use a fine tooth comb to loosen it, then wash. That seems to work well but it's back within a few weeks. This last time it was worse than ever. Ideas or suggestions on this one?

TIA

I did stop the nail biting with a constant 'keep your fingers out of mouth'.

Cradle cap still comes around and dd is 11. So I would love to hear too. We use natural sham and cond. So dont know what issue is.

Jet:bigear:

My ds10 and ds8 both have the "cradle cap" scalp condition...terrible. Ds10 is the worst. It is all over the top of his head. He won't let me touch his head to even try to loosen it. Ds8 is better at letting me loosen it w/ oil and a comb. But, it comes right back. My dd3 has it to a lesser extent. The first time I noticed it was when ds10 was around 5 or so. I picked at it and it flaked off along with a clump of his hair! :001_huh: I was horrified! Seems like it is typical. We tried cradle cap shampoo, natural shampoo, rinsing very well, etc. Nothing works. As for nail biting...my dd11 does this and my ds10 bites the skin on his fingers. Yuck! We just constantly remind him to get his hands out of his mouth.

We used a clear nail polish that tastes terrible for my dd. I just found it near the polish at Target, I think. That didn't take long! LOL I did have to put it on about every day, because it seems to wash off.

Now when she starts biting again, she tells me "mom, you need to put some of that yucky nail polish on again."

My 5 yr old and 3 yr old still get cradle cap. My dr suggested we try mouthwash to get rid of it. On the head, of course. IT WORKS!

After I got over my fear that I would burn their eyes out, we gave it a shot. We use it about once a week. Also, we try to wash their hair every other night, so the scalp won't be so dry as it was when they washed it every night.

Sarah