Menu

Inground swimming pools...cost? Worth it?

Has anyone here put in an inground swimming pool? If so, I'm curious to know how much something like this costs. If you put one in, do you regret the money spent? We are thinking it would be worth it, as we would be in it all the time. Would love to hear from people who have been there, done that. Thanks!

Not quite your situation, but we put in an aboveground last year. We live way out of town, and I didn't want to deal with all of the issues of public pools.

It was pretty tortuous. Inground, they come and do it all for you. Aboveground--you're on your own, baby--conflicting instructions, non-level ground to somehow level (an evil joke), huge roll of sheet metal to manhandle, and all.

It was the biggest pain in the patootie--way more than I imagined--and I usually am pretty good at predicting such things. Last year I bemoaned that we hadn't chosen the more expensive option of inground. And it didn't help that they forgot to tell us to bypass our water softener and we spent almost the ENTIRE SEASON getting the water balanced. BIG pain in the patootie.

However.

This year all is well. The chemicals are minimal since we have balanced water. The cleaning isn't bad if you keep up with it. We have a nice open space and don't have to worry too much about leaves and debris.

I would say that is definitely worth it for us. Our children's swimming has improved SO much. And it's right there when we want it. Our cost was $3-$4K, for a 24-ft round aboveground pool, 4-ft deep.

We have three neighbors putting in pools right now. The prices are ranging from $35K to $50K for *nothing fancy* as far as pool designs go. Our house has a pool, but we would have NEVER spent that kind of money on a pool ourselves had it not been here already. Of course we live in a neighborhood with a beach club and an aquatic center, so we don't really need to go far to find a place to get wet. One neighbor who is putting in a pool has four children, one who has terrible asthma and is very sensitive to chlorine, so I understand why they want one, they'll be going with a salt system/ozonator combination.

We'll be leaving for a month soon, and the only electricity we'll be using is for the pump, so I'll be able to tell you exactly how much it is to run the pump when I get back in late August.

If you do go this route I highly recommend a salt system.

My parents just had theirs filled in this summer. They hated it. They thought it would be fun when we were kids, but they weren't prepared for how much work it is and how much expense and how little use it would actually get. Then when we were grown they still had it to take care of. And chipmunks drown in it. Between the time spent caring for a pool that doesn't get much use and the money it takes, they were *done.* Even my uncle who used to be a lifeguard and has more than a dozen grandkids got his Olympic-sized pool filled in (and his needed extensive landscaping to install because his backyard used to be a hill).

Keep in mind also that it will reduce your property value. They are considered a liability, not an asset.

We have an inground pool that we had installed. Your costs may vary depending on if you are in a area where a pool is common. We kept our cost under $30k Ours is large (20x40) because I wanted to have groups out. Is it a lot of work? IMHO, not that much. Yes, I am the one who wanted it and I take care of it. I like to be outside. The hardest part has been the extras like landscaping, fencing, the things that come after. We have friends out a lot and church groups. It is a lot of work to get everything together and pack the cooler, etc. and drive to a pool only for it to be crowded or start raining. So, I LOVE my pool. We are thinking of moving in the next couple of years and I see us in another house with a pool. Hopefully, it will already be there because it is way cheaper to buy with a pool than install one.

yeah the average for a small, basic inground is going to be about $25k

I'm not sure if a drop in fiberglass shell w/salt system would be any cheaper.

My hubs a pool guy..has done it all from above ground construction jobs to gunite installs as well as maintenance on all and putting in fiberglass shells.

If you don't get sufficient answers here let me know and I'll ask for hubs 2cents.

I'd say it kind of depends on where you live and what your money situation is like in the first place whether the money spent is 'worth it' or not. Down here, if we had the money, I'd have a small gunite or fiberglass pool w/salt system and see it as worth every penny. It gets hot here and we can eek an extra month or two out of the typical pool season. And I have 6 kids...I don't enjoy loading them all up to go to the pool. And the salt system means less maintenance, so that's another 'worth it' for us.

In our last house we put in an aboveground pool and I concur with everything the other poster said about what a crazy job it is to put it in.

We priced out inground pools and decided against it. Over here pools are considered an asset and they definitely do not lower property values, but I don't think they raise them either so any money you put in will not translate into house.

That being said, when we started looking for a new house an inground pool was high on the list. We've had it open since the end of May and we are absolutely *loving* it. The kids are in at least once a day and are often in for hours at a time. We've had so many people come over to swim and enjoy the pool. I love having friends in and sitting poolside while our kids swim. The summers get hot here and it's blissful to be able to jump into the pool.

We bought an automatic vacuum so vacuuming isn't really a chore at all. Nowadays you can get self-cleaning pools so even more of the cleaning is automatic. Balancing our chemicals has been a bit tricky as we're on a well. If I was putting my own pool in I'd do salt water.

If you have the money and you think you'll be in the house for a long time then I suggest going for it.

We LOVE our in-ground pool!

If the weather is good, that is where you will find us. Cost can vary greatly depending on the options you choose. We have a liner pool which is less expensive, but we choose blue stone for our pool deck and our pool patio. Due to the flow of our property, we had to have a stone wall installed between the pool deck and pool patio: sitting height. The blue stone pool deck, patio, stone wall, landscaping, and the pool cost us about $40,000.

There is work involved to maintain it, but there are pool supplies the you can purchase to help. Example: a robot vacuum.

Pool installers make a mess of you yard!

Keep in mind also that it will reduce your property value. They are considered a liability, not an asset.

That is not true at all. Most pools do not reduce or increase the value of your home. There are many variables that can effect whether or not the pool has an effect on the price of your home.

Placement of the pool

Materials used in construction of the pool

Landscaping around the area of the pool

Climate where you home is located

In my town anyway: Above ground pool does not increase your property taxes. In ground pool increases your property taxes .

My parents have an inground and it's nice but mostly a pain. A LOT of maintanence even with a robot. It's simply a big pool with tiles to maintain, etc. It gets nowhere near the use it should to justify the work and expense. Nor did it back in the day 20 years ago when it was installed.

We have an above ground pool. It requires some maintaining but we too have a robot and it's considerably less expense chemical/electricity wise. While a 28" round pool, it is nowhere near as big as my parent's in ground and requires less time, water and chemicals to maintain. IN the winter they have to pay someone to blow the lines before they cover their pool. In the summer, they pay the fire company to fill the pool if it requires a lto of water so they don't burn out their well. We throw some winterizer in and cover, and in the summer remove the cover and throw some chemicals in.

As to asset/liability - that depends upon who is looking at your property. If they want a pool, it's an asset. If not, it's a liability. I know when we looked at houses I prefered houses without a pool. (Now DD is 9 and LOVES the pool so we're 'stuck' with one.). It will increase your homeowner's insurance premium.

I love how in ground pools can look with waterfalls and landscaping but I would not like the permanence of them especially knowing all the work they are.

Good luck with your decision.

It probably depends where you are. I am on an island in Florida. Almost all the houses have pools. If you don't around here, it is a definite minus for a home to not have a pool. When we moved here, we were looking for a home to rent. Almost all the homes had pools of some size. One of the giant new homes did not and we really wondered about the wisdom of that since almost all homes here have them. Our home has a deep (over 14 feet and one end) large pool and we still have a lawn for the girls to play with the dog. We choose this house for among other things its pool. We have been paying basically the same price or slightly higher for house with a pool and pool and yard service.

We have an inground pool and love it. This is our 3rd summer with it and love that we don't have to go very far to keep cool.

We have the salt water system which I really like.

My two older children(17yodd and 14yods) don't use the pool very much but my two younger boys(8yods and 4yods) do.

It was a lot of money but since I am a home body it really is worth it to me.

My parents have a pool. It's about nine years old (16K nine yrs. ago). My dad constantly complains about up keep but they are always in it.

My neighbors just had one installed with a salt water system. I think they paid quite a bit and it is medium sized. Their fence was 16K, I'm sure the pool was around 25k.

One thing I would like to point out that I didn't read in the other responses; insurance. Our homeowners insurance went up $900. We bought the house with a pool but there was mistake and the agent did put on that we had a pool, so when it was correctd 2 years later, our homeowners insurance went up $900; it doubled. Not to mention the cost of putting up a security fence if you don't have one, or the repair if yours in not the greatest of conditions like mine. I can't tell you the cost of having one put in, but to maintain one is about $500 in chemicals a year, and countless hours spent cleaning. Now, with all that being said my kids love the pool and starting swimming this year in Mar. the water was only 57 but they would swim. They will swim till sometime in Oct. but we live in Houston where it stays HOT till end of Sept. Good luck with you decision.:001_smile:

We live in the South and I really would love a pool - but - I don't want to care for it, worry about kids around it, pay the insurance for it, buy an alarm system for it. etc.... Above ground decrease value a lot where we live, so that's not an option. We decided instead to join a local private pool. It's at a golf course and for $250 a summer we pool all we want. It's not big or fancy - more like cheap and effective! We drive the 8 minutes there, spend our time and come home. No maintenance, no worries. My neighbor's have a pool and it's always a maintenance issue (slime from some kid from a river swim messes up the balance for 2 days... etc.). I am glad I can just enjoy the swimming without the work. I think when the kids get older we may reevaluate, but right now not having one is a plus.

I hate in ground pools. The only only way I would even consider one is if I lived way too far from a pool I can use elsewhere, I had enough property to set it up with a 6 foot iron fence (up and down bars, cannot be climbed) complete with alarm on gate and everything...away from the back door so kids do not step outside right to the pool.

I have known too many children to drown in backyard pools. I have known so many that, sorry to say, I am not trying to offend anyone..that I think backyard pools should be illegal. It is too easy for a child to slip out unnoticed. It takes only a back turned for seconds for a child to silently drown. Near drowings can be worse than drowings so the statistitics so not tell it all. I have known of at least one child to drown, spend a week in the ICU unconcious before the plugs were pulled. She would not be listed in the statistics. Unless they are practically declared dead at the scene or on arrival at the hospital, they are not put in the stats.

I have heard too many mothers cry wanting to know how to fill in their pool as their child died in it. (I had a son die, but not from drowning, but there were parents, grandparents, and even an aunt of drowned children when I went to support group. I only went a handful of times but saw a lot, enough to never say yes to a backyard pool).

We bought a house with a pool and it was a nightmare to maintain until we converted to a salt-water system. My poor dh worked on it every night, was at Leslie's several times a week and spent hundreds of dollars in chemicals. Our pool was rarely clear and I felt uncomfortable inviting friends over to swim.

Last year he converted it to a salt system and the maintenance has gone way down and the pool looks wonderful.

Because we live in hot, hot Texas we don't heat our pool, so our cost is mostly running the pump and replacing parts. I'm not sure the exact cost but it is worth every penney. The kids and neighbors swim all the time and on extremely hot days it is the only outdoor activity that they get. My dh heats the jacuzzi a few times a year, (Thanksgiving weekend, New Years eve) but I think that using a gas heater so it is not too expensive.

I have known too many children to drown in backyard pools. I have known so many that, sorry to say, I am not trying to offend anyone..that I think backyard pools should be illegal. It is too easy for a child to slip out unnoticed. It takes only a back turned for seconds for a child to silently drown. Near drowings can be worse than drowings so the statistitics so not tell it all. I have known of at least one child to drown, spend a week in the ICU unconcious before the plugs were pulled. She would not be listed in the statistics. Unless they are practically declared dead at the scene or on arrival at the hospital, they are not put in the stats.

You can't remove all risks from children. Lots of children die in car accidents, bike accidents, etc. and none of those things are illegal. Three times as many children are murdered each year than die by drowning.