Menu

Civil War historical fiction with a female protagonist, 7th-8th grade reading level??

ereks mom

:yes: Turn Homeward Hannalee! :D

It's about a young girl who works in a mill in GA alongside her brother. Her father has died in the war & her older brother is still fighting in it for the south. Her mother is at home pregnant. Their town is captured & those who work in the mill are taken as POWs & moved north. Hannalee is determined to find her brother & make he way back home to Mamma just like she promised.

Turn Homeward, Hannalee.

12-yo female heroine from Georgia mill-worker.

:iagree: We read this shortly after moving to GA and it was fun to be familiar with the places in the story.

ETA: The writing is for a younger reading level but I think there is much for an older student to gain from processing Hannalee's feelings about what is going on around her.

Edited by Cinder

Dear America book : "When Will This Cruel War Be Over? by Emma Simpson"

The book does an impressive job of showing what it would be like to be a wealthy Southerner on the "homefront" while the Yankee soldiers march in and eat all the chickens, occupy the houses, and destroy the valuables during the later half of the Civil War. For an eighth grader, it would be more of a pleasure-read than a challenging read. The book is set in Richmond area, Virginia, not Georgia.

I think of Hannalee as being slightly younger - more like 5th grade? Ann Rinaldi has a few Civil War titles and her books are usually just right for this age and she's a good writer, though I haven't read any of those specifically so I'm not sure which one might be good.