Menu

Life of Fred Elementary - worth the price?

kemilie

I'm considering buying LOF Elementary as a fun supplement for my 6 1/2 year old to read with his Dad in the evenings. He's quick with math, and I've read some good reviews on it. For those of you who have already taken this *plunge* - did your kids enjoy them? Did you feel it was worth the cost after actually getting/seeing/reading the books? I have no experience with the LOF materials so just hesitate to spend $16/each on books that are only 128 pages long! I read a review that stated there are numerous errors in this first edition set too... but only saw that stated in one review/ Anyone agree/disagree with that statement?

Thanks for any input!

They are pricey, IMO, and I think it would have been nice to have offered them in paperback.

I am going through them with my youngest. Yes, he's too old for them, but believe it or not, it has helped see math from a different angle, and the review has been nice. There is so much non-math stuff that we have a ball reading them. He actually begs me to read them.

My consolation is they have a high resale value. I'm just going to keep buying them and then sell them when I'm all finished. Or, maybe I'll keep them for grandkids. ;)

I agree, they're pricy. My 7 yr old just flew through the first book. Although she really liked it, I don't think she learned much from it. Maybe some of the later ones might challenge her, but I don't know that I want to spend $16 a book to find out. I may look at the table of contents of each book, if possible, and skip to one that looks like it would cover new material for her. I wouldn't bother at all, except she really liked it and wants to keep going with them.

They are pricey for a supplement. I don't think I'd count them worth the price for that. They were intended as an actual curriculum though and for that, they are cheap. I haven't met too many who feel comfortable using them that way, though. :)

It does appear that they skimped on editing the books Ive been through but I haven't seen any errors that affected the math.

:iagree: with the others on the price but they helped my oldest love math again. I bought the first four because I knew my language oriented ds (ds#2) would enjoy them and help him get started on the right foot in math. As soon as I opened the box, my oldest who was in Singapore 3B, devoured them and declared that we needed more because he loves math now. He's very mathy, but had gotten bogged down with learning long division. Fred jump started his love of math again and he was off and running. When I bought the next three, I added Fractions and Decimals to the order. He did them all in rapid succession and is asking for PreAlgebra 1.

For me, that was worth the cost. I also have two other boys that will use them as well. I can't remember any errors in the books I've read. That doesn't mean they aren't there, but they didn't affect us at all.

With that said, I can't imagine using them as a stand-alone math curriculum. The info might all be there, but I wouldn't be as comfortable as I am with Singapore.

I'm considering buying LOF Elementary as a fun supplement for my 6 1/2 year old to read with his Dad in the evenings. He's quick with math, and I've read some good reviews on it. For those of you who have already taken this *plunge* - did your kids enjoy them? Did you feel it was worth the cost after actually getting/seeing/reading the books? I have no experience with the LOF materials so just hesitate to spend $16/each on books that are only 128 pages long! I read a review that stated there are numerous errors in this first edition set too... but only saw that stated in one review/ Anyone agree/disagree with that statement?

Thanks for any input!

Did your kids enjoy them? Yes, my dd enjoys them.

Did you feel it was worth the cost after actually getting/seeing/reading the books? No. But, then again...my dd enjoys them so I'll probably get them all.

I read a review that stated there are numerous errors in this first edition set too... but only saw that stated in one review/ Anyone agree/disagree with that statement? Yes, I agree and it drives me nuts! We are only in Cats. I didn't notice any errors in Apples. But, Butterflies and Cats have *a lot*. Way too many errors in a small book to be acceptable, in my opinion. I mean...seriously...did not anyone else read these before they were put to print??? :glare: :banghead: Now my dd has fun finding all the errors...and she's only 8!

I think it's a neat idea for your ds and dh to read the books together. You can always resell them and get at least half your money back when you're done.

Edited by ~AprilMay~

Yes, there are (grammatical) typos (we're on "Honey" and I'd say maybe an average of 2 per book?) and while it's annoying I just correct as we go.

Honestly, LOF is a huge hit here, the girl beg for it each night (despite the fact that we've just introduced long division!) and I actually have to keep the future books under lock and key! (Otherwise, they'd devour "Fractions" for example and just read the story, skipping the "Your Turn to Play" and I don't want to lose the plot's excitement when we get to it later this year or next.)

So, yes it's pricey (we've done 8 of the elementary books this year, so 8*16=$128/yr), but the oldest keeps reading and re-reading it and I'm sure the middle one will later as well and my littlest when she's school-age. I'm banking on the books holding up to all the abuse the girls can dish out, and I'm grateful for this homeschooling option :)

Yes, there are (grammatical) typos (we're on "Honey" and I'd say maybe an average of 2 per book?) and while it's annoying I just correct as we go.

Honestly, LOF is a huge hit here, the girl beg for it each night (despite the fact that we've just introduced long division!) and I actually have to keep the future books under lock and key! (Otherwise, they'd devour "Fractions" for example and just read the story, skipping the "Your Turn to Play" and I don't want to lose the plot's excitement when we get to it later this year or next.)

So, yes it's pricey (we've done 8 of the elementary books this year, so 8*16=$128/yr), but the oldest keeps reading and re-reading it and I'm sure the middle one will later as well and my littlest when she's school-age. I'm banking on the books holding up to all the abuse the girls can dish out, and I'm grateful for this homeschooling option :)

Welllll....there is a bit more than an average of 2 errors per book. We are half way through Cats and there's been 7 so far. Butterflies had just as many.

Thank you for all the great input! I'm guessing I'll go for it and then resell them if I hate them for some reason... :) I just like the idea of buying all 10 with free shipping ($160 from Z-Twist), and feel like if I get just one of them and THEN buy the whole set - I'll miss out on that cost savings. I know, I know... bad justification for spending $160 up front instead of $16, but I've spent too long thinking on this already!

The spelling errors will irk me, I'm sure... but they're probably not going to have a 2nd edition THAT soon... at least, that's my guess.

I agree with the other posters. My dd just started Fred and she completed Apples in about 2 weeks! But I've personally seen that they have great resale value, so you should be able to recoup a good bit of your costs. We only have Apples & Butterflies, but if dd continues to enjoy them I will eventually get the rest. She's only through addition/subtraction in her MUS program, so just a few books to catch up to where she is conceptually :)

Enjoy!

Paula

Yes, there is free shipping even if you buy just one.

My 6yo is loving LOF. We just started Butterflies so I can't speak to typos; I didn't notice it in Apples. But my non-mathy kid took LOF on a playdate to his cousin's house and we found the two of them reading together and giggling. Any math book that gets kids to not only request math but want to share it is doing something right!

We've read the first three and have the next three ready to go for this year. DS absolutely loves then and he hates math. Do I think they're worth $16? No. I'd be happier if they were paperback and $6 each, but for DS to see that math can be fun, it's worth it. Plus, everyone seems to sell them for only a dollar or two off used. You get free shipping no matter how many books you order. There are quite a few typos, which does get annoying (there were a lot more in B and C than there were in A), but they don't alter the math.

We love LOF - Miss P has done the entire elementary series during her 4th grade year, and is now on Fractions. Mo is on Butterflies. They love the books, and they've made math fun for them. No matter how long they spend on other math, they always have the energy/interest to do Fred.

However, not every kid clicks with the books - I would just buy one to start with and make sure it's a good fit. You get free shipping from ZTwist for any quantity, even just 1. They are also available here and on ebay all the time.

Wow, I feel dumb! And I like to think I'm good at math. :) For some reason I was ASSUMING that you got a better deal by buying them all at once, and that free shipping would only work on the large orders. Living in Alaska I always seem to end up running into unforeseen shipping charges anyway... !

If I can order them one at a time and pay them same price, my dilemma is non-existent! I'll start with a couple of them and go from there. Thanks for pointing this option out to me....

Any of you read them to your just barely 5 year olds too, or is it a bit over their heads once you get past the first few of them? I suppose the theory is they'll get SOMETHING out of it even if they don't comprehend it all!

The thing about LOF is that it is intended as a full curriculum, and as such the cost is quite reasonable. But a lot of parents, especially those who run textbook heavy homeschools, simply can't feel comfortable with the approach LOF offers (no drilling, making math relevent also makes it easy to learn and understand, making 'drill and kill' unnececary.). They like it as a supplement, which is great, but not what it was written for.

I personally am in the group of people who feel comfortable with LOF as a full curriculum with some supplements (games, multiplication flash cards, puzzles and extra online resources for any trouble spots) so the cost is quite ok It's just a very different approach to math to the one we are used to from our school days, and too different for many families. So yeah, I guess that gives some perspective on it.

abba - good point, I do understand it's meant as a full curriculum. I (unabashedly) am a curriculum junkie, and am fortunate enough to live in a state that has some great charter schools I can make use of to fund my addiction. Math happens to be my "true love" so I know I go overboard with math resources! I'm not big into workbooks/big textbooks, but I do love the different perspective that different programs give!

Any of you read them to your just barely 5 year olds too, or is it a bit over their heads once you get past the first few of them? I suppose the theory is they'll get SOMETHING out of it even if they don't comprehend it all!

Yes, they get some as a little one, and a lot more when they are older. My 9 yo got a lot more meat out of Apples and Butterflies than my 5 yo. But it was good for both in different ways! Remember that you can always read them more than once! I'm planning to do that with my little one, and expect she'll get more the second time through. You can either go through the whole series then start over, or go through the books up to multiplication (A-E) and then if they aren't ready to move on, start over again. Or any iteration of the above!

I so wanted to love Fred but I really don't......

I blogged about it just last week here

I do not think they are worth the price for what my kids are getting out of them. The errors in them make me nuts! The difficulty of the concepts introduced is all over the map. My dd was confused by many concepts. She only likes the story and could care less about the math in the books. She throws a total fit when we hit the Your Turn to Play section. She just wants to know what happens next.

I know they are meant to be read over and over again and that they should be a full curriculum but I can't justify the price for what we're getting out of them. I love the idea of them in theory. In reality they are not quite a fit at our house.

Don't throw tomatoes at me! I so wanted to love them! :blushing:

I'm wondering if we'll like the older books at some point.

I also think Beast might be a better fit as my dd gets a little older.

I'm glad that I'm not the only person who thinks the price is a little much. I see why they work for others, but our house just doesn't love Fred at this point....:tongue_smilie:

Lexi - I like the voices from the other side of the fence, it's good to get perspective! I decided to buy just one to start with instead of going hog wild and purchasing them all! I've had a few experiences with curriculum I know I WANT to love and feel like I should, from all the good press, but it just ends up not being a great fit!

I blogged about it just last week here

I do not think they are worth the price for what my kids are getting out of them. The errors in them make me nuts! The difficulty of the concepts introduced is all over the map. My dd was confused by many concepts. She only likes the story and could care less about the math in the books. She throws a total fit when we hit the Your Turn to Play section. She just wants to know what happens next.

I know they are meant to be read over and over again and that they should be a full curriculum but I can't justify the price for what we're getting out of them. I love the idea of them in theory. In reality they are not quite a fit at our house.

Don't throw tomatoes at me! I so wanted to love them! :blushing:

I'm wondering if we'll like the older books at some point.

I also think Beast might be a better fit as my dd gets a little older.

I'm glad that I'm not the only person who thinks the price is a little much. I see why they work for others, but our house just doesn't love Fred at this point....:tongue_smilie:

Lexi, this is exactly why I always suggest that people buy just one, not the whole set! My girls and I love them, but not everyone does, and I hate to see people invest in a bunch of books then end up not liking them - and feeling guilty about it! Believe, me, been there - we hated FLL, which was hard to admit here! Not everything works for everybody!!

Me too. We finished Apples and a bit of Butterflies before we gave up on them. It wasn't so much the errors that bugged me, it just wasn't a good fit for my son. He had way too many questions about the story and didn't think it made sense, then he couldn't focus on the math because he was still talking about the story. :001_huh:

But, I actually like the look of Fractions and up, so I'm actually thinking of giving a couple of them a try this fall with my older kids.

My 5yo would often chum in when I was reading LOF to his older brother. He didn't hang with us for all the math, but he knows what a deciduous tree is now, thanks to Fred.

i was reflecting on the "pricy" feelings. Budget pincher that I am, I still haven't had the pricy feeling about LOF. Our other math curriculum, however, feels pricy to me--because just one year of curriculum is $65 plus at least another $10 for S-L-O-W shipping and then there's the tax. Then, their workbooks aren't geared to be resuable, the CD's can get easily scratched and this company doesn't offer printable PDF. For a big family like ours, ugh!

Enter LOF. It's hardback, always reusable and totally pass-downable. It's even fun enough to be re-doable. If LOF has a good resale value, it's because the books are sturdy and not meant to be written in. To me, that is a good value for the price (if you like LOF, which, we do). And, I must say that Z-twist has had great shipping speed. Good golly, I wish all the companies I ordered from had such good shipping/service.

I totally agree with everyone who has said, "Just order one book and see if you like it." If you hate it, send it back! There's a guarantee.

I have a 9 yo ds and 11 yo dd. Both LOVE LoF Elementary Series. I think the story is hilarious and I can't wait to get to Calculus and understand the whole thing LOL My dd is doing Fractions as a stand alone curriculum this year and absolutely loving math for the first time ever. My 9yo wants to continue in TT5. I love the diversity that homeschooling offers me and that I can stay true to their passions and their styles of learning.

Anyway, we are on Butterflies and are going to read the Elementary Series through just as a review and especially hone in on Farming and up with multiplication. I spoke to the author and he recommended going back over Farming to the end for those who struggle with multiplication and division. Flash cards don't work with my kids and even having them write out a multiplication table every few days doesn't stop them from counting on their fingers. Hopefully, Fred will come to the rescue :) If not, I have some other tricks up my sleeves.

• 2 weeks later...

We are doing Life of Fred with my seventh grade DS. I got them used for a decent price and they have a decent resale value as well. I wouldn't buy them new, but if you can find them used, that would be worth it in my opinion.

I've also found a bunch of things to supplement it with for free. I'll have to find my list of sites...there are a bunch of free video sites. MUS (which I'm doing with the middle two kids) also has a free worksheet generator that I'll likely use alongside our LOF stuff this year as well.